Narrow Boat plans

zenataomm

Featured Posts

I seem to recall, (but have not gone looking for the thread) someone suggesting they could be purchased rather more cheaply by approaching the CRT archive.

Certainly some appear of the plans in their on-line catalogue, and I suspect Laurence got them from BW in the first place, like much of the stuff he then claimed copyright to.

However I have made several approaches to the archive in the past about getting reproductions of items listed in the online catalogue, (no plans but photos in my case), and after finding someone who said they will help, have then drawn a blank.

If anybody can tell me how you get something that appears as a small low resolution image listed in the CRT online archive translated for you  a decent high resolution image, (either in print, or as a file), without actually visiting the Port, then I would be very interested to know.  I haven't managed it yet.

34 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

However I have made several approaches to the archive in the past about getting reproductions of items listed in the online catalogue, (no plans but photos in my case), and after finding someone who said they will help, have then drawn a blank.

If anybody can tell me how you get something that appears as a small low resolution image listed in the CRT online archive translated for you  a decent high resolution image, (either in print, or as a file), without actually visiting the Port, then I would be very interested to know.  I haven't managed it yet.

I simply asked for a higher resolution image and received what I had asked for a day or two later (increased from the online image @ 96.0kb to a pretty clear 31.3mb) :captain:

6 hours ago, pete harrison said:

I simply asked for a higher resolution image and received what I had asked for a day or two later (increased from the online image @ 96.0kb to a pretty clear 31.3mb) :captain:

Any chance you can remember exasctly what contact method you used, please?

I did the same, and was told I could have one, but it never arrived, despite several subsequent attempts to chase it up.

There is one image I would really like a decent resolution copy of.

45 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

I usually deal with them by e-mail, but I have never had any problem whatever method of communication I use - and you must bare in mind there is often a charge :captain:

Yes, I would be happy to pay any reasonable charge.

Unless it has changed they have put up that great archive of pictures online, but there is nothing accompanying it that says how you  can pay for and get a better version of any image.  I'll check again later to see if it has since changed,  but a logical extension to what was there when I last looked would be a button that said "click to buy a high resolution version of this image".  I'd be happier to give them a bit of profit on that than I currently would be to sign up as a "friend of CRT"!

On 01/10/2018 at 09:17, Pluto said:

The standard email is archives@canalrivertrust.org.uk, and you can also ring them at 0151 373 4378. John Benson and Linda Barley are the two professional archivists.

I have spoken to John Benson this week - yes they are happy to provide Hi Res copies of images they have but there is a caveat as below - I have attached the document they would like signed.

The intention from way back before I arrived was indeed to sell images. However documentation relating to copyright in our photographic collection is at best patchy and in many cases I simply don’t know who, if anyone, owns the rights. Please find further details attached. We took some legal advice three or four years ago which suggested that in these circumstances selling the images would not be advisable. I can indeed supply high resolution images of everything, but  we don’t charge. Despite the above the images have now appeared in countless television films and publications and to the best of my knowledge no one’s ever raised any objections. I get people we supply with them to indemnify us by signing the attached.

If I were asking for a hi res copy I would like to think I would make a donation in lieu of a purchase. Mike's contact details above are the ones to use.

THE WATERWAYS ARCHIVE_COPYRIGHT RE THE PHOTOGRAPHIC COLLECTIONS.pdf

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, Leo No2 said:

I have spoken to John Benson this week - yes they are happy to provide Hi Res copies of images they have but there is a caveat as below - I have attached the document they would like signed.

The intention from way back before I arrived was indeed to sell images. However documentation relating to copyright in our photographic collection is at best patchy and in many cases I simply don’t know who, if anyone, owns the rights. Please find further details attached. We took some legal advice three or four years ago which suggested that in these circumstances selling the images would not be advisable. I can indeed supply high resolution images of everything, but  we don’t charge. Despite the above the images have now appeared in countless television films and publications and to the best of my knowledge no one’s ever raised any objections. I get people we supply with them to indemnify us by signing the attached.

If I were asking for a hi res copy I would like to think I would make a donation in lieu of a purchase. Mike's contact details above are the ones to use.

THE WATERWAYS ARCHIVE_COPYRIGHT RE THE PHOTOGRAPHIC COLLECTIONS.pdf

I received the same reply a few years ago when I asked if I could use photos from the archive on my website, he offered the hi res copies free but I explained I would rather use low res and steer people towards the archive should they want hi res copies of any photograph. Have to say it is a very good service to offer them free, even if they cant be sure of the copyright protection,they could just say no hi res copies available for the same reason.