Please use headphones

MHS

Featured Posts

ISTR a famous canal user telling her on screen husband to "Turn off that racket".  The reply was something like "That's not a racket, it's Brahms, Brahms third racket"

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, haza said:

Glen's not every ones cup of tea then but .did you not know ,,Glen was   known as one of the best guitarist in is day if not the world 

Indeed: before he became a Big Hitmaker in the late '60s Glen Campbell was a first-choice session guitarist in L.A. he played on records by The Righteous Bros. and other Phil Spector acts (now THEY would sound great bouncing off the walls of a tunnel - come to think of it, they sound as if they were recorded in one). He was also good enough vocally and instrumentally to be a member of The Beach Boys, a group noted for their quality control, as it wasn't yet called.

Edited by Athy

I wear earphones all day specifically to blot out the radio. I have not been able to find a music station that doesn't drive me crazy with constant repetition. It's like a Chinese water torture. Plenty of stations trumpet that they don't play the same song more than once a day but define day as 9.00 to 17.00.  Unfortunately some songs, like whatever George Ezra is pushing at the time, become flavour of the month and get played at 08.59, 12.00, and 17.01. The rest of the day is taken up by the same playlist day after day after day. If I hear meatloaf telling Cher that she's a real dead ringer for love, or Phil Lynott telling me that the boys are back in town one more time I will bust my own eardrums with a screwdriver.

On 30/09/2018 at 11:03, MHS said:

Why do more people now feel it’s ok to have music blaring from a radio on their rear hatch? I personally prefer listening to the bird song. 

Yesterday afternoon we were moored (with a dozen or so boats) at Audlem in the sunshine. A boat came through the bottom lock and from 100m away I could hear radio coverage of the Ryder’s Cup. As I wanted to watch the BBC highlights that night, I had to resort to sticking my fingers in my ears, while politely asking him to turn it down. 

Whether it’s opera, 80’s pop, sport or heavy metal please don’t force it on other boaters. Please buy yourself some headphones and allow us to enjoy the peace. 

We were moored there on Saturday too, just up from Overwater's little charity boat's landing stage. As well as the one with the Ryder Cup commentary there was a boat that passed with the West Ham vs Man Utd match commentary at full blast. His boat was from Gloucester so he was bound to have been a Man Utd fan ?. At least his team lost ha ha ?.

7 hours ago, Sir Nibble said:

I wear earphones all day specifically to blot out the radio. I have not been able to find a music station that doesn't drive me crazy with constant repetition. It's like a Chinese water torture. Plenty of stations trumpet that they don't play the same song more than once a day but define day as 9.00 to 17.00.  Unfortunately some songs, like whatever George Ezra is pushing at the time, become flavour of the month and get played at 08.59, 12.00, and 17.01. The rest of the day is taken up by the same playlist day after day after day. If I hear meatloaf telling Cher that she's a real dead ringer for love, or Phil Lynott telling me that the boys are back in town one more time I will bust my own eardrums with a screwdriver.

I suffer from this too. 

If Six Music is not to your taste then I was recommended the other day to seek of Radio Caroline as an antidote. I listened for 20 mins the other day and no two songs were repeated, so that looks vaguely promising...

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

I hate to tell you this because as an adult you should already know, but if people don't actively object that doesn't necessarily mean they are fine with it. It could also mean that they are begrudgingly tolerating you or are too nervous to complain. You really shouldn't expect that of people.

Trouble is, there are more and more people like this on the canal.  I still find the guy who moors on the lower Macc opposite the visitor moorings and who runs his engine / generator until half ten every night (sometimes later) hard to beat.  He gives a mouthful to anyone who asks him to knock it off and makes a good sized stretch of the rare decent moorings on the Macc unbearable.  If he was the only local resident he would definitely be a candidate for a trombone solo at three in the morning...

On 30/09/2018 at 19:16, MJG said:

I'm afraid if you really believe that then that is typical of what a selfish 'me first' person would think.

Lack of consideration of others seems to be an increasing trend in society.

But out of interest can you explain why it's ok?

As NIgel M might point  out, unless it is specifically banned then it is allowed . . . 

• Unimpressed 1

1 hour ago, Mike Todd said:

As NIgel M might point  out, unless it is specifically banned then it is allowed . . . 

There are a lot of things that are 'allowed' that none the less may not be 'ok' and prove to be an annoyance to others.

Taking up two spaces in a car park so that you don't get a dink in your door is often 'allowed' but none the less when the car park is busy and one cant find a space it's an annoyance to others but typical of selfish behaviour  so often seen these days and just another example.

Using  head phones but with the volume turned right up on public transport is another. The list of things you can do when being selfish is actually quite long. The problem is people who participate in such behaviours often don't see it themselves or if they do they just don't care.

1 hour ago, MJG said:

There are a lot of things that are 'allowed' that none the less may not be 'ok' and prove to be an annoyance to others.

Taking up two spaces in a car park so that you don't get a dink in your door is often 'allowed' but none the less when the car park is busy and one cant find a space it's an annoyance to others but typical of selfish behaviour  so often seen these days and just another example.

Using  head phones but with the volume turned right up on public transport is another. The list of things you can do when being selfish is actually quite long. The problem is people who participate in such behaviours often don't see it themselves or if they do they just don't care.

Actually, most car parks specifically require you to park within marked bays - or else!

(But who actually reads the very small print used by certain parking enforcers?)

2 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

Actually, most car parks specifically require you to park within marked bays - or else!

(But who actually reads the very small print used by certain parking enforcers?)

Which is precisely why I used 'often'.  Because some/lots don't have such stipulations.

There are plenty that will 'allow' people to park as you wish without penalty even if it is being selfish. I'm in one at the moment. 

Of course the whole issue of parking charge notices is a whole subject in itself.

8 hours ago, MJG said:

Of course the whole issue of parking charge notices is a whole subject in itself.

Long story which I shan’t bore you with but just today I paid £160 because the stinking, cheating, lying, money-grabbing, scamming scroats who put a faulty machine in a local car park which took my £3 payment denied that I’d paid. 

There. I feel better now. 

• Greenie 1

On 01/10/2018 at 16:18, Athy said:

Indeed: before he became a Big Hitmaker in the late '60s Glen Campbell was a first-choice session guitarist in L.A. he played on records by The Righteous Bros. and other Phil Spector acts (now THEY would sound great bouncing off the walls of a tunnel - come to think of it, they sound as if they were recorded in one). He was also good enough vocally and instrumentally to be a member of The Beach Boys, a group noted for their quality control, as it wasn't yet called.

And the song Brian Wilson wrote for him, Guess I'm Dumb, is up there with the best of the Beach Boys' own pre-Pet Sounds material:

• Greenie 1

With a Brian Wilson song, a couple of Beach Boys and some L.A. session heavyweights in the band, and of course Glen's voice, it couldn't fail. Oh, but commercially, if not artistically, it did. Surprisingly, as Brian produced it, the vocal harmonies are very restrained; perhaps The Honeys vocal trio could have been brought further forward in the mix.

On 02/10/2018 at 22:31, WotEver said:

Long story which I shan’t bore you with but just today I paid £160 because the stinking, cheating, lying, money-grabbing, scamming scroats who put a faulty machine in a local car park which took my £3 payment denied that I’d paid. 

There. I feel better now. 

Should have gone to Specsavers 

MoneySavingExpert.com

>Forums

>Motoring 

>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking

Almost certain to have saved you £160.

Just now, Ferd said:

Should have gone to Specsavers 

MoneySavingExpert.com

>Forums

>Motoring 

>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking

Almost certain to have saved you £160.

Like i said, it’s a long story. The advice on that forum wasn’t relevant in my particular case. The only part that was relevant was “Don’t bother appealing to POPLA because they’ll decide in favour of the parking company”, which I found to be completely accurate. 

It’s also worth noting that a lot of the advice there is out of date too; you have to search long and hard to find the current (2018) advice, much of which reads, effectively, “don’t follow the earlier advice”. 

It is possible that had I allowed them to take it to county court that I would have won but then it’s equally possible that I would have lost, and the costs would have increased considerably by then. It would also have taken up a lot of my time. Simpler by far to just pay the £160. 

32 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Like i said, it’s a long story. The advice on that forum wasn’t relevant in my particular case. The only part that was relevant was “Don’t bother appealing to POPLA because they’ll decide in favour of the parking company”, which I found to be completely accurate. 

It’s also worth noting that a lot of the advice there is out of date too; you have to search long and hard to find the current (2018) advice, much of which reads, effectively, “don’t follow the earlier advice”. 

It is possible that had I allowed them to take it to county court that I would have won but then it’s equally possible that I would have lost, and the costs would have increased considerably by then. It would also have taken up a lot of my time. Simpler by far to just pay the £160. 

Don't beat yourself up too much.  These companies are professionals at this and the concession to allow them access to vehicle ownership records in return for stopping clamping has opened the floodgates.  I believe there are moves afoot to clip their wings, but until then they continue to have the upper hand. They may be able to be beaten in some cases, but they have the choice of which battles not to fight and they know when they are on sticky or solid ground.

11 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Don't beat yourself up too much.  These companies are professionals at this and the concession to allow them access to vehicle ownership records in return for stopping clamping has opened the floodgates.  I believe there are moves afoot to clip their wings, but until then they continue to have the upper hand. They may be able to be beaten in some cases, but they have the choice of which battles not to fight and they know when they are on sticky or solid ground.

Indeed, I’ve put it down to experience. If there is ANY doubt in the future about whether or not the parking machine/system has worked (i.e. no receipt) then I’ll move car parks and write off the £3 or whatever fee that I’ve paid at that one. 

Or maybe I’ll just burn down NCP’s head office one night :D

• Greenie 2

37 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Indeed, I’ve put it down to experience. If there is ANY doubt in the future about whether or not the parking machine/system has worked (i.e. no receipt) then I’ll move car parks and write off the £3 or whatever fee that I’ve paid at that one. 

Or maybe I’ll just burn down NCP’s head office one night :D

If you pay by card then you will have proof of payment.

I've never trusted parking companies since I had to pay in 10p coins for parking that was 15p because the machine wouldn't take 5p coins ... a letter to the company was ignored unsurpsingly (this was in the 70s when 5p was still a real coin)