Please use headphones

MHS

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, welly said:

Because it is ok.

Well only you seem to think so. 

If you wake someone who is sleeping, or give away a sports result, they won’t be happy. Even if it only took the 20 seconds you quote to pass them. 

26 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

What if it's a group having a party going past a solo boater? The majority rules? 

I was thinking more in terms of the number of boaters, walkers, anglers etc you pass during the time you play the music.   I might have expected you to yet again bring it down to your opinion being the correct one.

13 minutes ago, MHS said:

Well only you seem to think so.

I'm fine with that. But given that no one has seen fit to complain, I'd suggest that it isn't the big deal that this is being made out to be. And boaters do complain.

I've had on rare occasion a boater comment that I've been going too fast to which I've apologised and lowered my revs. And the opposite is also true - I've had to ask other boaters to slow down or turn their engine off at 9pm or later or quieten down if they're having loud conversations at midnight. Most people are quite approachable, as am I.

But I will choose to play my music when I'm cruising to drown out the sound of my engine, at least to a degree and to provide something of some entertainment as I tend to cruise for hours solo. I'd go batty otherwise.

1 minute ago, StephenA said:

Oddly enough I find steering with just the engine noise, watching the world go by, an almost cathartic experience.

Indeed, I actually thought that was the whole point.

6 minutes ago, StephenA said:

Oddly enough I find steering with just the engine noise, watching the world go by, an almost cathartic experience.

The sound of my engine makes me anxious. The slightest change in engine tone makes me panic that something is up with it. Of course, it's been problem free for at least 12 months so my concerns are probably unfounded but that doesn't make me any more relaxed. So Glen Campbell it is.

Just now, welly said:

The sound of my engine makes me anxious. The slightest change in engine tone makes me panic that something is up with it. Of course, it's been problem free for at least 12 months so my concerns are probably unfounded but that doesn't make me any more relaxed. So Glen Campbell it is.

So you're worried about your engine so you cover up the noise with music?

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, StephenA said:

So you're worried about your engine so you cover up the noise with music?

Yes. Ignore it and it'll go away. But the engine is fine. And I like to listen to music.

Edited by Guest

10 minutes ago, welly said:

You honestly play it so loud that it drowns out the sound of your boat engine.?

I think that takes selfishness to a whole new level.

7 minutes ago, welly said:

Yes. Ignore it and it'll go away. But the engine is fine. And I like to listen to music.

And meanwhile when something does actually go wrong with it but you dont know about untill its too late and more damage is done.

Sorry but this has got to be the most ridiculous thing I've read on here for a while.

I'm presuming you are joking it's that daft.

Edited by MJG

i dont think welly plays it that loud .me thinks he is, shall well say taking the rise lol ,,when mister is playing is banjo or guitar as we plod along .the number of times we have been asked to play louder please..and in reply .. ,,,,a banjo louder ,you sure about that one .

1 minute ago, MJG said:

You honestly play it so loud that it drowns out the sound of your boat engine.?

I think that takes selfishness to a whole new level.

I'm bowing out of this one. No, I don't play my music do loud as to drown out the sound of my engine. Yes I said I did earlier but was hoping to inject a modicum of humour into this thread. I've lost interest in this thread. Good night.

I like peace & quiet and dislike most radio output.  The odd boater with music on the deck passes me so rarely that it doesn't bother me at all.  I get much more noise from major roads, motorist hooting at hump-back bridges, light aeroplanes, and even those curious things consisting of a lawnmower engine combined with a kite (I've forgotten what they're called). 

19 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

I like peace & quiet and dislike most radio output.  The odd boater with music on the deck passes me so rarely that it doesn't bother me at all.  I get much more noise from major roads, motorist hooting at hump-back bridges, light aeroplanes, and even those curious things consisting of a lawnmower engine combined with a kite (I've forgotten what they're called). 

Sky Strimmer?

Edited by cereal tiller

I never have music playing from radio etc whilst steering though do like to play the harmonica (one handed you will understand.) Does this make me unsociable? My wife says it is fekin awful.

42 minutes ago, welly said:

I tend towards a "live and let live" approach to others so I found myself more on your side than not in this discussion. Then you ruined your own argument with "Glen Campbell". As a musician once said "I'm liberal but to a degree"; Glen Campbell is going too far!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Jerra said:

I was thinking more in terms of the number of boaters, walkers, anglers etc you pass during the time you play the music.   I might have expected you to yet again bring it down to your opinion being the correct one.

Up here there be more on the boat than we'd pass. So then?

I might have expected you yet again to bring it down to your opinion being the correct one. There are several here doing that. While encouraging thoughtful discussion, presenting an alternative viewpoint to the few (in broader terms) on here who like peace and quiet, I'm accused of being selfish.

3 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

I might have expected you yet again to bring it down to your opinion being the correct one. 

Don't most people who express an opinion think that theirs is the correct one? That surely is why they express it.

Cruising playing loud music is inconsiderate. Mooring up within say quarter of a mile of another boat and continuing to play loud music is doubly inconsiderate. There are no excuses about needing to be aware, earphones are available. If I can hear your music in my boat you will be getting a knock. I don't disturb others with noise, I don't expect to be disturbed myself.   

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Don't most people who express an opinion think that theirs is the correct one? That surely is why they express it.

Of course, and your comment equally applies to Jerra, who I quoted, hoisting him by his own petard. 

Edited by Jim Riley

7 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

Of course, and your comment equally applies to Jerra, who I quoted, hoisting him by his own petard. 

So, you feel that your opinion is correct, and Jerra feels that his is. That's only natural.

But those petards should be banned from boats - they're just too damned loud.

10 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

I have to say I am a little bemused by the level of umbrage fomented by what seems to me to be a fairly trivial act.

JP

Could it be a wind up?

On the odd occasion I have slowed down to tick over to listen to 'The Archers' while steering the boat but only for 15 mins and I hope I won't have disturbed anyone.

5 minutes ago, Athy said:

So, you feel that your opinion is correct, and Jerra feels that his is. That's only natural.

But those petards should be banned from boats - they're just too damned loud.

I haven't counted but the impression I get is that most posters in the thread feel loud music is inconsiderate.  I strongly suspect that those who choose a walk by the canal don't want to hear loud music nor I think do fishermen.

I tend to always think the majority are correct.   If loud music was acceptable there wouldn't be regulations about noise and noise control IMO.