ASAP - Data Breach

system 4-50

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

I went drinking in town recently (I do this about once a year) and was amazed that nobody apart from me used cash.  Much too easy to spend too much.

TBH I rarely have anything more than a couple of quid in my pocket and always spend by card. That is unless I know I will definitely need cash for something. But then if somebody doesn't accept cards or has a stupidly high minimum spend they don't normally get my business, unless I am really stuck.

When ever we go out for a pub meal and a drink it's always paid for by card, all the pubs we go to locally accept them now. You are right though it can be too easy just to spend more if you are not careful, probably why it's become such a common way now of payment acceptance as savvy businesses know this?

1 minute ago, ronnietucker said:

With no continual look at finances (cash in the wallet/purse) it's too easy for people to end up with nothing (while, inevitably, drunk) or in an overdraft.

I would say that cash in your wallet isn’t a continual look at your finances.   If you use your card for everything then you can have a instant overview of where your spending your money  (and get apps that can link to your bank to do it for you).  With cash it’s just cash and it’s just a tenner or so here and there but you have no idea what on unless you jot it down.

5 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

added - and that includes the bus which is contactless.

Ours are - when the bloody thing works that is.

I've had a couple of free rides when it hasn't worked and there isn't a cash machine close by the bus stop. I don't know if that is official Arriva policy but the drivers just let me ride for free anyway.

6 minutes ago, MJG said:

Ours are - when the bloody thing works that is.

I've had a couple of free rides when it hasn't worked and there isn't a cash machine close by the bus stop. I don't know if that is official Arriva policy but the drivers just let me ride for free anyway.

Buses taking contactless is one of the worst things in a long time.

Passenger (gets on bus): can I pay by card?

Driver (points at machine)

Three or four tries later...

Driver: I take it your card is contactless?

Passenger: no. Does it have to be??

Sound of much irate muttering on bus...    :banghead:

16 minutes ago, Robbo said:

If you use your card for everything then you can have a instant overview of where your spending your money

True, but what I mean is that if you decide to withdraw £100 and that's all you're going to spend then you can see it dwindling in your wallet. That you have £20 left. In paying by card you could easily spend £200 and not even know it. Most people never look at their receipt. Most terminals don't even give a receipt for the customer when it's contactless.

10 minutes ago, ronnietucker said:

True, but what I mean is that if you decide to withdraw £100 and that's all you're going to spend then you can see it dwindling in your wallet. That you have £20 left. In paying by card you could easily spend £200 and not even know it. Most people never look at their receipt. Most terminals don't even give a receipt for the customer when it's contactless.

Most youngsters use their phone (more secure as well) where you can easily see what you’ve spent as it’s shown on your screen for the last so many transactions.   With just withdrawing money you may be able to limit it that evening but you have absolutely no idea on what your spending monthly on what as all your transactions are just cash (unless you log it, and if your doing that you probably don’t have a cash management problem).

i would say if you have a cash mangement issue, don’t use cash, use a card as you can see now instantly (especially with the help of apps looking at your accounts) on where your spending your money and that’s one of the keys of managing  it.

Edited by Robbo

13 minutes ago, ronnietucker said:

Buses taking contactless is one of the worst things in a long time.

Why?

When it works its brilliant, especially if you are stuck or needing to get somewhere and you have no cash on you. More taxis need to start accepting too (its far from universal yet).

Just because some idiot doesn't realise that your card has to be contactless for it to work on a contactless terminal is hardly a reason to decry whole system.

9 minutes ago, Robbo said:

Most youngsters use their phone (more secure as well) where you can easily see what you’ve spent as it’s shown on your screen for the last so many transactions.   With just withdrawing money you may be able to limit it that evening but you have absolutely no idea on what your spending monthly on what as all your transactions are just cash (unless you log it, and if your doing that you probably don’t have a cash management problem).

i would say if you have a cash mangement issue, don’t use cash, use a card as you can see now instantly (especially with the help of apps looking at your accounts) on where your spending your money and that’s one of the keys of managing  it.

Google pay and I think also apple pay will keep a tally of your very recent transaction in real time too, before the bank has even displayed the transaction on your statement.

Unfortunately I stopped using the former as I found it less reliable than simply using a contactless card direct on the terminal, I don't know how reliable Apple Pay is. Plus the methodology for using a nectar card and other loyalty cards was lees than reliable, lots of time so I ended getting my wallet out anyway, so I might as well have used the contactless card in the first place.

9 minutes ago, MJG said:

Google pay and I think also apple pay will keep a tally of your very recent transaction in real time too, before the bank has even displayed the transaction on your statement.

Unfortunately I stopped using the former as I found it less reliable than simply using a contactless card direct on the terminal, I don't know how reliable Apple Pay is. Plus the methodology for using a nectar card and other loyalty cards was lees than reliable, lots of time so I ended getting my wallet out anyway, so I might as well have used the contactless card in the first place.

Apple Pay shows the last 10 transactions, I use it all the time I now usually forget my PIN number for my card ?.   The only time I don’t use it is when at Tesco’s as I use Tesco’s Pay here as I get a lot more club card points using their app.   I find using Apple Pay quicker than card as it’s quicker to whip ma phone out and double tap the home button and then hold up to the reader.   Never had a issue in it not working, and it’s much more secure than using cash or the card itself.

5 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

When you got fraudulent transactions refunded, what happened to stop it continuing, please?

Like you, a new card. I seem to recall it arrived recorded delivery the next day. 

3 hours ago, ronnietucker said:

Most terminals don't even give a receipt for the customer when it's contactless.

I’m always asked if I want one. I always decline as... what’s the point? I know what I’ve just spent. 

Whilst on the subject of fraudulent transactions: has anyone had a contactless card lost/nicked then had someone spend, say, £20, £30, £10, etc etc. using it?

I'm curious as to whether the bank just refunds the money (with little investigation/care) or whether they make you jump through hoops to prove the fraudulent transactions?

Dishing out contactless cards seems like asking for fraud to happen.

10 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I’m always asked if I want one. I always decline as... what’s the point? I know what I’ve just spent. 

To claim back on expenses.    I’m surprised that when I use Tesco’s app, that it doesn’t show me the receipt electronically.    Screwfix emails me the receipt which is handy.

14 minutes ago, WotEver said:

To make sure that the person typing in 3.50 didn't type in 35.00. Most people don't check the screen before putting their card near the machine.

5 minutes ago, ronnietucker said:

Whilst on the subject of fraudulent transactions: has anyone had a contactless card lost/nicked then had someone spend, say, £20, £30, £10, etc etc. using it?

I'm curious as to whether the bank just refunds the money (with little investigation/care) or whether they make you jump through hoops to prove the fraudulent transactions?

Dishing out contactless cards seems like asking for fraud to happen.

Just say no !!

I cancelled my RBS credit card as they said they could not supply non-contactless cards and no other provider would do so.

Strange that Santander did exactly that.

As usual RBS were full of BS about how it's risk free and they would refund if it was used fraudulently but, as you pointed out, no mention about how many hoops one would one have to jump through to get a satisfactory resolution.

Bring back good old fashioned cash !!

21 minutes ago, ronnietucker said:

No.

12 minutes ago, soforene said:

Just say no !!

I cancelled my RBS credit card as they said they could not supply non-contactless cards and no other provider would do so.

Strange that Santander did exactly that.

As usual RBS were full of BS about how it's risk free and they would refund if it was used fraudulently but, as you pointed out, no mention about how many hoops one would one have to jump through to get a satisfactory resolution.

So if you lose a twenty quid note and not your contactless card and then somebody finds it a spends it what chance is there of you getting that back from your bank.

There is a lot of sheer bunkum talked about contactless.

10 minutes ago, MJG said:

So if you lose a twenty quid note and not your contactless card and then somebody finds it a spends it what chance is there of you getting that back from your bank.

Fair point, but if I lose £20 I lose £20 and that's it. Lose a contactless card it can be multiple £20's, £10's, etc.

23 minutes ago, soforene said:

Just say no !!

Glad I'm not the only one who prefers using cash. If the TSB tries to send me a contactless card they'll get it back in bits after I move my account elsewhere.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, ronnietucker said:

Fair point, but if I lose £20 I lose £20 and that's it. Lose a contactless card it can be multiple £20's, £10's, etc.

Glad I'm not the only one who prefers using cash. If the TSB tries to send me a contactless card they'll get it back in bits after I move my account elsewhere.

I moved from Lloyds to Santander for this exact reason.

I was made to feel like a luddite after I explained my reasoning and the numpty behind the counter was trying to tell me that I was downgrading my card to non-contactless.

Whatever happened to "The Customer is King"?

This King told 'em where to shove their contactless card and moved to a bank (after >20 years as their customer) that actually offered what I wanted as opposed to offering what they think I wanted.

10 minutes ago, ronnietucker said:

My understanding is that if you make a number of transactions in quick succession with a contactless card (which a theif would do)  then contactless will be disabled temorarily and you will be required to enter your pin which if you do incorrectly three times in succession your card will be blocked (as has always been the case).

This has happened to me twice but I can't recall how many transactions I'd made in order to trigger this.

3 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

Poor example as contactless has a thirty quid limit??

Except in Aldi on Apple pay.

13 minutes ago, soforene said:

I moved from Lloyds to Santander for this exact reason.

I was made to feel like a luddite after I explained my reasoning and the numpty behind the counter was trying to tell me that I was downgrading my card to non-contactless.

Whatever happened to "The Customer is King"?

This King told 'em where to shove their contactless card and moved to a bank (after >20 years as their customer) that actually offered what I wanted as opposed to offering what they think I wanted.

Lloyds like other banks will issue a non contactless card on request.

1 minute ago, MJG said:

Lloyds like other banks will issue a non contactless card on request.

Really?

I was informed that they don't.

So I moved Banks.

Poor customer service there then.

Loyalty is no longer a consideration for any kind of establishment these days .....

6 minutes ago, soforene said:

Really?

I was informed that they don't.

So I moved Banks.

Poor customer service there then.

Loyalty is no longer a consideration for any kind of establishment these days .....

Lloyds

Lloyds started rolling out the cards as standard in the third quarter of 2013. 

Customers can visit their branch - or flag this at account opening - or call Lloyds if they either wish to opt out of receiving a contactless debit card, or if they would like to order one.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/saving/article-3214113/Customers-request-not-contactless-debit-card-major-banks-say-one-just-1-200-millions-have.html

Edited by MJG
Cross post with Alan