Ducks in a cage

Featured Posts

Moored up earlier on a general towpath mooring. A short distance away on the towpath there's a small locked cage next to a boat with 2 pure white ducks and a male mallard in. 2 other white ducks are hanging around outside the cage as if they are part of the group. There's a wire mesh ramp attached to the towpath which leads down to the water but in no way connected to the cage.

The boat is loaded with items outside, and a small amount of stuff on the towpath, so doesn't look as if it moves very often.

I couldn't see any sign of anyone on board at the time, and to be honest it's not really a conversation I'd like to start with anyone who was.

I'm trying to get my head around whether this is normal or something that should be reported. I dont know the laws on keeping wild birds etc, or if this might be something completely innocent. RSPB website says call 101 before reporting any suspected illegal activity to them.

Perhaps someone could offer a different view as to me it doesn't look quite right.

9 minutes ago, Rumsky said:

I wasn't planning on it, but I am asking for advice on a canal towpath in England.

I'm offering a different view, perhaps you shouldnt have asked for one?

Seeing birds cooped up in small cages at French markets is extremely common, cruel? Possibly, do people care about it? Probably not, so my advice stands.

8 minutes ago, MJG said:

I'm offering a different view, perhaps you shouldnt have asked for one?

Seeing birds cooped up in small cages at French markets is extremely common, cruel? Possibly, do people care about it? Probably not, so my advice stands.

Fair point. Perhaps my original post was badly worded. I was looking for information on whether this was a normal occurance on the towpaths of England or whether it should be reported.

7 minutes ago, Rumsky said:

Fair point. Perhaps my original post was badly worded. I was looking for information on whether this was a normal occurance on the towpaths of England or whether it should be reported.

If you are concerned about their welfare then a call to the rspca should suffice, but i don't hold out much hope of a constructive response. A call to 101 will likely result in a suggestion to ring the rspca anyway.

Is it normal on a canal tow path in England, no I would say not.

Do you have another underlying concern?

Just did a bit of Googling and as far as I can tell, we're in 'open season' on mallards and as such it's legal to shoot them (and so presumably to catch and kill them in some other way consistent with the laws on animal welfare). Can't find any info on white ('domesticated'?) ducks but unless they have some sort of protected status (which seems pretty unlikely) I can't see the situation being much different. Call the RSPB maybe for clarification?

29 minutes ago, frangar said:

What have you reported and to whom? 

I thought the post had been reported to the mods as the suggestion was the boat was full of Immigrants  

That aside,my thoughts are that the white ducks are in fact somebody's pets, possibly Indian Runners or Aylesbury,s or American Peking. 

Fowl  are always locked up at night for protection from predators and I suspect the mallard wandered in with others while the 2 left outside were norty stop outs.

Often when locking up my chickens one or two of my ducks would go in with them, the same applies in reverse when locking up my ducks.

If you have genuine concerns about the birds welfare then a call to the RSPCA is the correct thing to do. Do NOT call the RSPB as  this sort of issue is not in their remit.

Phil 

Edited by Phil Ambrose
  • Greenie 3

The right way to check is to follow the RSPB website advice you quoted and call 101.  The local police have a wildlife officer who will know whether there's an issue or not and can investigate if required.  If the folk with the ducks  aren't doing anything wrong, they won't be in any bother.

Presumably the ducks are being either kept as pets, or for their eggs (not in the case of the drake, obviously) or being fattened for the table. If they were not in a secure cage they would be prone to escape and would be susceptible to attack by foxes and possibly by other predatory animals. Did they appear to be in poor health or otherwise neglected?

3 hours ago, Nut said:

break into the cage if you can and release them but if your worried about your safety then don't. probably some immi on that boat tbh

Releasing pet birds will almost certainly lead to their demise shortly afterwards, not having built up any knowledge of the dangers. 

What on earth makes you jump to the conclusion that an immigrant would be responsible? My first thought would be it is the work of an eccentric, if it is the set up I'm thinking of I first saw this around 5 years ago between Braunston and Stockton. 

The keeping of poultry is covered by the Animal Welfare Act, but it's rules are open to interpretation. The main one which can be considered to cover the caging of poultry is that they must be "..free to express normal behaviour, and that sufficient space, proper facilities and company of the animal’s own kind should all be provided". The OP does not indicate the size of the cage other than it is small, which suggests that it may not be large enough for the ducks to display normal behaviour.  There may also be local By-Laws covering the keeping of Poultry.

Putting poultry into small cages for transportation is normal, but we tend not to buy live poultry except at agricultural markets, wheres the French still appear to want to buy live birds at market.They have to be transported to market, which would explain them being in small cages.

1 hour ago, BWM said:

What on earth makes you jump to the conclusion that an immigrant would be responsible? My first thought would be it is the work of an eccentric, 

We British "do" eccentrics quite well, but we don't have the exclusive on them.

1 hour ago, Stilllearning said:

Yet another virtual greenie for a dreadful literary pun.

Somewhat like the yacht seen in a marina, white hull and blue below the waterline, named Bas Bleu.

That gives a new meaning to the expression "stocking up for a voyage".

Er, "dreadful"? I don't quite comprehend that.