New boat for the next two weeks

rgreg

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Theo said:

Without contradicting you I would add that none of the cargo ships that I sailed in had controllable pitch props. Most had four blades some had five.

Hi Theo,

No contradiction taken, and I did say ".......these days, many ships......."  not all ships. Of course there are ships around , and still being built, with no CP gear. In fact, perversely, the last ship I was involved with was a passenger ship and had twin screws with no bridge control, but rather used the old fashioned telegraphs. It was certainly a blast from the past! However, it has become more the norm to equip ships with it these days, (I am not sure when you came ashore or what company you sailed with) and indeed I first served on ships so fitted in 1965, both large and small.  Ship types ranged from tugs, anchor handlers, cargo vessels, passenger ships/ferries and fast transatlantic RoRo's container ships - ( twin screw steam turbine ships, fitted with CP gear).

Small ships like Odin are often fitted with it, together with Becker rudders, for improved handling and to reduce the need to use tugs, not to mention keeping crew numbers to a minimum.

Howard

Edited by howardang

18 hours ago, howardang said:

These days many  ships, large and small, are fitted with CP (controllable pitch) propellers whichmeans that the engine is not stopped. Instead, astern propulsion is selected by changing the pitch. This has also been used on steam turbine vessels, as well as motor vessels, for many years. 

It is possible  that Odin is fitted with CP gear; maybe RReg can confirm.

Howard

Yes, it is Howard. One other interesting fact I learned was that the ship has a continuous fuel cleaning system, with the fuel being constantly circulated through a series of separators and filters.

So last night we came back through the "tight bits" again, only this time in darkness! It was quite surreal watching us quietly and carefully manoeuvre through the seemingly impossible narrow gaps,  guided only by the ship's navigational systems and marker lights on the water. We are now docked at Oxelosund, our final stop, before departing for Hull tomorrow with a full load. This time we will probably be taking the long way around Denmark rather than the Kiel Canal, weather permitting.  Originally we were scheduled to call at Antwerp but this has been amended. 

20181004_210608.jpg

20181005_001126.jpg

20181005_001337.jpg

20181005_002502.jpg

20181004_210701.jpg

20181005_091332.jpg

20181005_091430.jpg

20181005_091443.jpg

20181005_091446.jpg

20181005_091550.jpg

20181005_091714.jpg

20181005_104333.jpg

20181005_131723.jpg

20181005_131010.jpg

20181005_132153.jpg

Edited by rgreg
  • Greenie 1

22 hours ago, Theo said:

No gear box on the really big marine engines.  The crankshaft is directly coupled to the prop shaft with a thrust block just aft of the engine.  I though that I saw it on one of the engine room photos.

To reverse you stop the engine.  Change the valve gear and start it again in reverse.  There is no starter motor.  Compressed air is fed into the cylinders to start the engine turning.  A  motor ship, unlike a steam turbine ship is as powerful astern as ahead.  Steem turbine ships had a dedicated reversing turbine which is always much smaller than the ahead turbines.

Nick

maybe on a 2 stroke engine.

on my sons ship they have a gearbox to reduce the speed of the prop then everthing else is done on a a vaiable pitch prop, including reverse

Edited by rasputin

Just a few photos of our passage through  the Oresund straight tonight. The 5 mile long Oresund bridge can be seen which, together with a 2.5 mile long tunnel, connects Denmark to Sweden. Copenhagen can be seen in the background.

20181007_180712.jpg

20181007_180446(0).jpg

20181007_183137.jpg

20181007_183427.jpg

20181007_184856.jpg

20181007_183308.jpg

20181007_184941.jpg

20181007_185056.jpg

20181007_190348.jpg

20181007_184725.jpg

20181007_191705.jpg

Another batch of interesting photos. Looking at the shipping forecast for the next 24 hours, you may get the oportunity to get some interesting weatherictures! I see that your ETA Hull is late Tuesday. Have a good passage across the North Sea.

Howard

On 05/10/2018 at 21:07, rasputin said:

<snip>

maybe on a 2 stroke engine.

<snip>

2 stroke engines which use ports uncovered by the piston are "direct reversing", for marine use they usually have symmetrical injection timing and "don't care" about their direction of rotation, not sure about other applications such as field marshall or lanz tractors. 

4 stroke engines rely on half engine speed opening & c;losing of valves and the timing of those valves determines rotation. The ability to change the exhaust cam timing relative to the inlet cam timing (IIRC) allows a 4 stoke "reversible" engine. 

springy

26 minutes ago, howardang said:

Another batch of interesting photos. Looking at the shipping forecast for the next 24 hours, you may get the oportunity to get some interesting weatherictures! I see that your ETA Hull is late Tuesday. Have a good passage across the North Sea.

Howard

Thanks. Yes, I'm hoping for a bit of lively sea action but the crew don't seem to share my enthusiasm for some reason! We did have a bit of rolling on the Baltic today which I captured on video. It felt more impressive than it looks!

Well, we are pitching and rolling on a boisterous North Sea in a force 8 gale, making only 8 knots. For some reason the site won't let me post photos but suffice to say, it's rough! I'll probably lose signal shortly until Hull, so will report on return (hopefully!).

16 minutes ago, rgreg said:

Well, we are pitching and rolling on a boisterous North Sea in a force 8 gale, making only 8 knots. For some reason the site won't let me post photos but suffice to say, it's rough! I'll probably lose signal shortly until Hull, so will report on return (hopefully!).

At least that rate of progress might string out your experience (I'm just a tad jealous!) a little longer. Do they 'charge' you for overstaying?

3 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

At least that rate of progress might string out your experience (I'm just a tad jealous!) a little longer. Do they 'charge' you for overstaying?

If the actual duration is plus or minus 2 days (or 20% whichever is greater) either way from the original schedule there's no adjustment. Any more than this is charged/refunded pro-rata. Unless something goes terribly wrong we should be back within the inclusive period ?

We have returned safely to Hull. For some reason I'm still unable to post any final photos (max 1.8mb); perhaps I've used up my quota! Anyway, just to conclude, this has been an unforgettable experience. If the idea appeals to you then I would not hesitate in recommending this particular voyage as it was a good mixture of sailing with excellent views and interesting passages. With the boat being smaller than many container ships there is a crew of just 8 (plus, on mine, there was cadet on placement but not part of the regular crew), so you really get to know them. 

There is also a maximum of 4 passengers on this voyage (2 x double cabins) and there is a good chance that, like me, you are the only one which makes it even more individual. I think I've pretty much covered everything but if anyone wants any more information please feel free to PM me, and please do let me know if you decide to go (I know one or two members were tempted.. just do it if you can!).

• Greenie 3

That was one of the most interesting topics I've seen on here - enjoyed every one of the nautical posts and looked forward each day to the next instalment - thanks for taking the time to do it all.

When is your next one and what destination?!! 

1 minute ago, Mike Tee said:

That was one of the most interesting topics I've seen on here - enjoyed every one of the nautical posts and looked forward each day to the next instalment.

Absolutely agree.

He never mentioned whether it had a pump-out or a cassette, but apart from that....

14 minutes ago, Mike Tee said:

That was one of the most interesting topics I've seen on here - enjoyed every one of the nautical posts and looked forward each day to the next instalment - thanks for taking the time to do it all.

When is your next one and what destination?!! 

Thank you. I'm not sure yet, but if I do my preference would be for similar to this one rather than a long continuous sea voyage. However, I don't think the second time would be so fascinating as I would have a good idea how it all works. 

9 minutes ago, howardang said:

Many thanks for the most  interesting reports and photos of your trip;  I'm glad you enjoyed it.  Have you decided on your next one yet, and when you do I look forward to reading about it.

Regards

Howard

On 05/10/2018 at 08:37, howardang said:

Small ships like Odin are often fitted with it, together with Becker rudders, for improved handling and to reduce the need to use tugs, not to mention keeping crew numbers to a minimum.

Great photos by the OP, many thanks for sharing, brings back memories of when I started out on coastal ships going to all these intresting and small ports.   Deep sea world on tankers gives you much less photo opportunities for one reason or another!    

My very very first Ship ( an ex BP coaster which was a launched the year after I was born) had a high lift Becker as well CP prop which coupled with a unreliable bow thrust meant that the” old man” could literally make her spin in circles and berth with little fuss.    A few years later I went Mate on her sister Ship in the same company and first got a chance at bringing her on and off the wall, when you knew her tricks they where a joy to handle.     Many moons away from the high tech ships I go on these days, however Aframax tankers need about 3 or 4 tugs to berth and the ship handeling, is in a different scale.   

• Happy 1

• 1 year later...