New boat for the next two weeks

rgreg

Featured Posts

7 hours ago, rgreg said:

It was impossible to get it into one photograph!

Try turning the camera on its side and taking a landscape photo ;)

Just sayin’...

Edited by WotEver

23 hours ago, howardang said:

To my mind the cost is certainly not excessive. I wonder what you think a trip such as this should cost; why not give us an idea of what you think would be reasonable?

(£80.00 per night)

It would also be interesting to hear how your Aunts world trip on a cargo ship (do you know which ship?) compares - especially regarding cost, and don't forget that in those days crew numbers were very much higher then than today with many cargo ships set up to carry up to 12 passengers. 

(Sorry don't know the name of the ship)

I was up at 3am and on the bridge for our arrival at the second stop, Sodertalje, Sweden. This involved an approach through a narrow channel in darkness. Re-loading this morning then on to our third stop, Vasteras, this afternoon which should be an interesting journey along Lake Malaren.

20181003_031335.jpg

20181003_031419.jpg

20181003_034318.jpg

20181003_034550.jpg

20181003_034719.jpg

20181003_034748.jpg

20181003_044051.jpg

20181003_075754.jpg

20181003_083345.jpg

20181003_083357.jpg

20181003_083417.jpg

20181003_085355.jpg

Edited by rgreg

10 hours ago, WotEver said:

Try turning the camera on its side and taking a landscape photo ;)

Just sayin’...

Yeah, I know, but usually try to avoid it because it can be a problem when viewing in auto-rotate. Point taken though sir, I will bear in mind! ?

21 hours ago, howardang said:

The ships is Norwegian, called "Nordstjernen" (North Star) 150 passengers. She was built in Hamburg in 1956 for the Norwegian Hurtigruten service but now cruises round the Norwegian Fjords. Once a year she does a cruise to Hamburg hence her appearance on the Kiel Canal. G

here is a link to a very short video of her

A fine looking ship with great character.

Howard

Howard, thanks for doing that research. Yes a fine ship indeed, far more beautiful and ‘human’ in scale than the monstrous ugly blocks of flats passing for cruise liners we build these days. She looks good even from the stern which is what piqued my interest. Exactly the sort of ship I’d like to take a cruise on.  

Cracks along at one helluva pace too. Must have at least a 3LW inside somewhere :D

22 hours ago, howardang said:

The ships is Norwegian, called "Nordstjernen" (North Star) 150 passengers. She was built in Hamburg in 1956 for the Norwegian Hurtigruten service but now cruises round the Norwegian Fjords. Once a year she does a cruise to Hamburg hence her appearance on the Kiel Canal. G

here is a link to a very short video of her

A fine looking ship with great character.

Howard

The idea of having a holiday on a conventional cruise ship would have me running for my life.  However we went on a Hurtigruten "mail boat" cruise around the Norwegian coast a few years ago.  It was on one of their smallest ships, with cabins for about 160 guests, plus day travellers.  Cabin was basic but comfortable and food was excellent (e.g. unlimited smoked salmon for breakfast and lunch included in the buffet).  We travelled from Bergen round to the Russian border and back again over about two weeks.  The ship made three or four stops a day, sometimes for several hours, others barely half an hour but you could disembark and have a walk round whilst they loaded/unloaded.  The ports visited during the day on the way up were visited at night on the way back.   No onboard entertainment except for the fantastic scenery outside the window. Also some excursions included e.g. seeing the sea eagles and visiting a glacier.  Being a small ship, it could get into some of the smaller fjords, and turning in one with what seemed like a few feet to spare at night was quite an experience.  The ship was similar to the one in the photo above, slightly larger.  Not a typical cruise but a fantastic experience,  sort of halfway between a conventional cruise and the one described here, though probably more like the latter.

Just now, WotEver said:

Wonderful stuff. He obviously spends a lot of time wiping his oily rag over the engine bits. Love the organisation on the shelves. And that lathe! All marvellous photos thanks. 

Another interesting set of photos and I am looking forward to the ones of the passage up to Vasteras which is an intricate trip though the lake with many islands.

I wonder if Rreg may be able to give some details of Odin's cargo. I think some people may be surprised with the variety of stuff which is hidden behind those anonymous boxes.

Howard

7 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Wonderful stuff. He obviously spends a lot of time wiping his oily rag over the engine bits. Love the organisation on the shelves. And that lathe! All marvellous photos thanks. 

Agreed. 

And I particularly liked the axe, handsaw and bolt cutters hanging up in the workshop. Just what one needs for adjusting the tappits on that engine!!

21 minutes ago, howardang said:

Another interesting set of photos and I am looking forward to the ones of the passage up to Vasteras which is an intricate trip though the lake with many islands.

I wonder if Rreg may be able to give some details of Odin's cargo. I think some people may be surprised with the variety of stuff which is hidden behind those anonymous boxes.

Howard

Apparently it is all sorts, from wine to some additives used in steel production. Below deck there are some big reels of steel cable. Loaded and ready for departure. 

15385627932007740435893271512820.jpg