New boat for the next two weeks

rgreg

Featured Posts

33 minutes ago, Laurie.Booth said:

Stupidly expensive !!

Not at all; what makes you say that? Have you done a trip such as this or are you just guessing? The price equates quite favourably with many B&B's in the UK these days and you get the added bonus of travel, a comfortable en-suite cabin, and the experience of shipboard life, not to mention the trip through the Kiel Canal, which is something most people may never experience.

I look forward to hearing how the OP gets on but I would be very surprised if he doesn't enjoy it very much.

Howard

• Greenie 1

So I'm onboard, safety briefed and given a tour of the ship.  There is a crew of 9 plus myself and I've been made to feel very welcome.  The cabin is very spacious and well furnished with three windows and views to port and forward (although I will be spending much of my time on the bridge or outside). I have a free run of the ship and unlimited access to the pantry for snacks. Lunch was a very delicious soup with rolls (ship's time is + 1 hr to uk). Loading continues and we depart at 1500 for Amsterdam. 

20180929_094431.jpg

20180929_094548.jpg

20180929_094340.jpg

20180929_094438.jpg

20180929_100538.jpg

20180929_102148.jpg

20180929_095216.jpg

I'd ask for my money back if I were you, having to slum it like that! 

The dock scenes look familiar - I was a Dockmaster there for a number of years! 

Enjoy the trip and I would be really interested to hear your impressions when you get home, that is, of course, you don't run away to sea.

Enjoy,

Howard

• Happy 1

11 hours ago, howardang said:

Not at all; what makes you say that? Have you done a trip such as this or are you just guessing? The price equates quite favourably with many B&B's in the UK these days and you get the added bonus of travel, a comfortable en-suite cabin, and the experience of shipboard life, not to mention the trip through the Kiel Canal, which is something most people may never experience.

I look forward to hearing how the OP gets on but I would be very surprised if he doesn't enjoy it very much.

Howard

Very expensive compared to cruising with :-

https://www.tui.co.uk/cruise/?im_id=PPC&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzK-F05Hh3QIVLbftCh3-hwq5EAAYASAAEgKKIfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds a lot cheaper than UK B&B.

37 minutes ago, Laurie.Booth said:

If that type of cruising is what you enjoy, then I can't argue with you, although I have been on cruises that cost much more than the ones you have featured. They are  definitely not my cup of tea, and I would have to be dragged screaming and kicking on to the ships you highlight!  I suspect that it might not be the OP's liking either but I can't speak for him.  I would only say that you are comparing apples with oranges, but each to his own. If you want an idea of quality cruising, although not what the OP is doing, try this experience:-

https://www.hebridean.co.uk/

Enjoy the fish and chips?

Howard

Edited by howardang

1 hour ago, howardang said:

If that type of cruising is what you enjoy, then I can't argue with you, although I have been on cruises that cost much more than the ones you have featured. They are  definitely not my cup of tea, and I would have to be dragged screaming and kicking on to the ships you highlight!  I suspect that it might not be the OP's liking either but I can't speak for him.  I would only say that you are comparing apples with oranges, but each to his own. If you want an idea of quality cruising, although not what the OP is doing, try this experience:-

https://www.hebridean.co.uk/

Enjoy the fish and chips?

Howard

Looks interesting, as you say each to his own.

7 hours ago, Laurie.Booth said:

The two things are completely different. I have been on several TUI cruises and they are excellent value for money, however I have always been more interested in the ship and the sailing aspect rather than the latest Broadway production or water slide. The girlfriend, on the other hand, enjoys the cruise ships but I don't think she would enjoy being on a cargo ship.

Sailing on a cargo ship is more of an experience, and a price comparison with a cruise liner is irrelevant.

Just docking in Amsterdam.

15382834704282134939480003591343.jpg.c75680e57d3be1bf6e727acc57d60f85.jpg

Edited by rgreg
  • Greenie 1

I’m loving the pictures...please keep them coming....especially if you manage to visit the oily parts of the ship...I think I’d be happiest in the engine room! 

I must admit a cargo ship is much more my idea of a cruise than one of those white monstrosities with thousands of people on it. Quite jealous! 

• Greenie 3

1 minute ago, frangar said:

I’m loving the pictures...please keep them coming....especially if you manage to visit the oily parts of the ship...I think I’d be happiest in the engine room! 

I must admit a cargo ship is much more my idea of a cruise than one of those white monstrosities with thousands of people on it. Quite jealous! 

Thanks.  Yes, a trip down the engine room is on when I can catch up with the Chief Engineer. 

1 hour ago, rgreg said:

Thanks.  Yes, a trip down the engine room is on when I can catch up with the Chief Engineer. 

I would be very interested to see the engine room of a modern vessel too, having spent 13 years in engine rooms deep sea back in the 70's and 80's.

19 minutes ago, Laurie.Booth said:

What I don't understand is the high cost of being on a cargo ship, compared to a cruise liner.

You can visit the engine room etc. on a cruise ship and have very interesting chats with the engineers and compare notes on running a narrowboat to a cruise liner.  

The last cruise I was on they were charging for "behind the scenes" tours.  Anyway, that's besides the point; as said, it's a different experience and probably only worth bothering with for freight carriers if there's a decent return on passenger fares as it will be a drop in the ocean compared to their cargo revenue.