New boat for the next two weeks

rgreg

Featured Posts

Enjoy the trip. If you haven't seen this before, here is a link to a time lapse film of a Kiel Canal transit which may be of interest.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=time+lapse+kiel+canal&view=detail&mid=96314F02B6F94484418A96314F02B6F94484418A&FORM=VIRE

Howard

Edited by howardang
  • Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Halsey said:

Great trip enjoy - can I/we ask roughly what cost?? PM me if you'd rather as I didn't know this could be done and am interested - also interested in the type/style of accommodation (crew quarters or captains cabin)

Thanks, it should be an interesting experience.  These are the people I booked it through and their website contains the type of options available and prices: https://www.cargoshipvoyages.com/

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Something about the photos suggests to me the accommodation and cuisine will be 'basic' at best! 

Well I'm certainly not expecting cruise ship standards, but that's all part of the experience. Meals are taken with the crew and you get your own "ensuite" cabin. I'll report when internet signal permits.

14 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Something about the photos suggests to me the accommodation and cuisine will be 'basic' at best! 

If you have no experience of this type of modern vessel, you may well be agreeably surprised, both with the standard of accommodation and catering. That is, of course, unless you expect a cruise ship which this ship isn’t.    

Howard

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, rgreg said:

Well I'm certainly not expecting cruise ship standards, but that's all part of the experience. Meals are taken with the crew and you get your own "ensuite" cabin. I'll report when internet signal permits.

Certainly a better far more interesting option than one of those horrific cruise ship monstrosoties, enjoy.

• Greenie 4

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Certainly a better far more interesting option than one of those horrific cruise ship monstrosoties, enjoy.

Agreed. 

I'm still a bit worried about the wine list though...

More seriously, will the OP have the run of the ship like the crew, or are passengers corralled off in one area? One of the attractions of a trip like this for me would be the chance to see in detail how the ship is sailed. Docking in particular!

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Agreed. 

I'm still a bit worried about the wine list though...

More seriously, will the OP have the run of the ship like the crew, or are passengers corralled off in one area? One of the attractions of a trip like this for me would be the chance to see in detail how the ship is sailed. Docking in particular!

Yes, apparently pretty much unrestricted I'm given to understand, which is, indeed, one of the major attractions.

55 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I know someone who has been all round the world as a passenger on container ships. he said the biggest problem is going ashore as the docking places are very inconvenient.

Yes, plus the timing of docking can be so restrictive that you may not have time to visit ashore much at all in some ports. That's ok with me for this trip.

Edited by rgreg

19 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

Isn't there a website where we can keep an eye on exactly where you are, rather like flightradar?

17 minutes ago, Richard T said:

I use www.marinetraffic.com

It shows her just entering King George Dock, Hull as I write.

Howard

Edited by howardang

25 minutes ago, Pluto said:

You can do a similar sort of thing on the inland waterways in Germany. Check out https://frachtschiffreisen-pfeiffer.de/kontakt/, though you will probably need some German language.

Now that is interesting, This summer we travelled on the top end of the Rhine out of necessity to go from the Rhone / Rhine canal downstream to the to the Marne / Rhine, not a frantically busy bit of canal / river but I would not want to take our boat past Strasbourg as its quite bouncy enough on that section when you meet big things but travelling on a Rhine size boat could be something to put on the bucket list. Thanks for the link.