Dual fuel ???

Lima

Featured Posts

10 minutes ago, Lima said:

The stove on my new to me boat is a carabo, how can I tell what fuel it burns wood coal or both

Thanks Lima

Well a brief goggle for "carabo stove' returns this thread on here, where the owner of one says its a multifuel stove.

Another way of finding out is to read the manual. ;)

IIRC a "woodburner only" will burn its fuel on a hearth - no grate, - mine has a layer of firebrick, coal (& derivatives I presume) needs a grate to provide bottom air to maintain the burn, many multifuel stoves have an adjustable grate which can be virtually closed off for wood only.

springy

I have no idea about your particular stove, but I have a pure wood burner at home and a multi-fuel on the boat. The key difference is in the grate the fire sits in. The wood burner has a flat plate with only 2 small slots because wood burns most efficiently on a bed of ash with air supply from above.  The multi fuel has a riddle-able grate full of slots to get the ash to drop through and let air in from below for efficient burning of solid fuel.  If you think it's a wood burner, do not burn solid fuel in there. If it's a multi fuel burner take your pick.

• Greenie 1

A multi fuel stove will burn both coke (smokless) and wood.

Our Charnwood burns both but to burn coke the base is raised to reduce the fire box capacity.

On the boat our morso was also 'multi fuel' and also burnt both coke and wood. You were supposed to adapt the firebox to reduce the capacity when burning coke but we never did. It worked fine.

Edited by MJG

8 hours ago, MJG said:

A multi fuel stove will burn both coke (smokless) and wood.

Our Charnwood burns both but to burn coke the base is raised to reduce the fire box capacity.

On the boat our morso was also 'multi fuel' and also burnt both coke and wood. You were supposed to adapt the firebox to reduce the capacity when burning coke but we never did. It worked fine.

1 hour ago, Dr Bob said:

Dead pigeons? Conkers?

Boring repetitive CWDF contributors who think they are being funny?

Some people obviously think I am.

Please lay off. In another thread this week you said I talked 'tripe'. I am not nasty to others. If you dont like what I post then block and ignore me.

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Some people obviously think I am.

Please lay off. In another thread this week you said I talked 'tripe'. I am not nasty to others. If you dont like what I post then block and ignore me.

But it was exactly that

Believe me if 'blocking' someone worked on here like it does on Facebook I would. Unfortunately it doesn't.

2 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

If you dont like what I post then block and ignore me.

The technique i use to ignore certain posters, is to look at the avatars. Anything with a dog gets ignored..... Oh hang on that's most of them including mine:)

Edited by rusty69

2 hours ago, MJG said:

But it was exactly that

Telling someone that they are posting tripe and then telling them that they are boring and repetitive is not what I associate with the boating community and particularly not what I find in the canal boat community. Is this a trait you find with people with caravans?

School yard bullying, methinks. Why do people have to slag other people off?

• Greenie 2

8 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Telling someone that they are posting tripe and then telling them that they are boring and repetitive is not what I associate with the boating community and particularly not what I find in the canal boat community. Is this a trait you find with people with caravans?

School yard bullying, methinks. Why do people have to slag other people off?

Then follow your own advice and block me?

It was tripe hence it was called out as such. I note you couldn't sustain the point in your original post and soon with drew from the thread when it was called out as such. If you don't like a robust discussion perhaps it would be best not to start a thread on such a potentially contentious issue?

Yes there are some pretty robust types on caravan forums too.

13 minutes ago, MJG said:

I note you couldn't sustain the point in your original post and soon with drew from the thread when it was called out as such. If you don't like a robust discussion perhaps it would be best not to start a thread on such a potentially contentious issue?

Untrue and Untrue.

I didnt bother arguing the point with you as it is pointless to try and do that.

I didnt withdraw from the thread. It had answered the question I had posed by that point. I have no relevant point to add on the position of women in society. The question was simple. "was it sexist to have a conference of that nature".

13 minutes ago, MJG said:

Then follow your own advice and block me?

No, I dont block people. I am tolerant of all people on this site until they start being agressive to individuals. There is robust discussion and there is bullying.

edit to add. If you choose to answer this post then do not expect a reply. I have to go boating.

Edited by Dr Bob

4 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

edit to add. If you choose to answer this post then do not expect a reply. I have to go boating.

Good plan.

As there was much to pull to bits in that post.

6 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Untrue and Untrue.

I didnt bother arguing the point with you as it is pointless to try and do that.

I didnt withdraw from the thread. It had answered the question I had posed by that point. I have no relevant point to add on the position of women in society. The question was simple. "was it sexist to have a conference of that nature".

No, I dont block people. I am tolerant of all people on this site until they start being agressive to individuals. There is robust discussion and there is bullying.

You are right Bob its easier to ignore than drop to there level have a good cruise mate

Ps he couldnt resist

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1

43 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Ps he couldnt resist

Just like you eh?

As to 'drop to there (sic) level', well I suspect what you actually mean by that is simply nod sagely and agree with everything that is posted on here?

Talk about 'birds of a feather'. LOL

22 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Ps he couldnt resist

To be fair, it's ages since the poor sod sold his boat and he's been stuck in a bloomin' tin tent all that time.  He must have had hard times from, or be bored to death with, his Caravanworld colleagues to make him come here and take issue with Dr Bob.  So, with that in mind and as he's an old ex-boater, we should make allowances.  Caravaning - it could happen to any of us, you know. ;)

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Sea Dog said:

He must have had hard times from, or be bored to death with, his Caravanworld colleagues to make him come here and take issue with Dr Bob. 

Banned from the forum more likely. 

Us boaters are more tolerant! :)

• Haha 2

Well, getting back on topic. I've just lit the stove. We pulled in after a few hours boating and Mrs Bob said it was too cold. Started it with multifuel.

Wood and smokeless coal (or wotever) plus a few conkers to give it a nice smell but I couldnt find a dead pigeon. Opened both top and bottom vents so all fuels will work.

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

To be fair, it's ages since the poor sod sold his boat and he's been stuck in a bloomin' tin tent all that time.  He must have had hard times from, or be bored to death with, his Caravanworld colleagues to make him come here and take issue with Dr Bob.  So, with that in mind and as he's an old ex-boater, we should make allowances.  Caravaning - it could happen to any of us, you know. ;)

Aye it's terrible seeing some of the beautiful places Europe has to offer rather than chugging around the sewers in a tin tube.

I honestly don't know how I cope with it.

38 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Well, getting back on topic. I've just lit the stove. We pulled in after a few hours boating and Mrs Bob said it was too cold. Started it with multifuel.

Wood and smokeless coal (or wotever) plus a few conkers to give it a nice smell but I couldnt find a dead pigeon. Opened both top and bottom vents so all fuels will work.

That's where you be goin wrong Dr Bob. Its a squirrel you need, not a pigeon! 

• Haha 1