Dog life jacket

fittie

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

No, I don't think there is a true canine life jacket and, even if there is, the examples here are all bouyancy aids.  That was my point: there's an important distinction in the function, so it's best not to use the terms interchangeably. Not correcting anyone - just pointing it out. :)

51jRGJWXITL.jpg

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Just a quick point: these things are buoyancy aids, not life jackets.  A life jacket not only provides buoyancy but also keeps the wearer face upwards so that an unconscious casualty can breath. A subtle difference, but an important one to recognise when considering your own safety gear.

Its a fair point.

It also raises a point about a gap in the market I think. A truly proper self inflating jacket for dogs would probably sell in decent qualities. Two self inflating tubes/panels along the sides of the jacket would probably work well. Simply adapt the mechanism of the Seago ones.

Dragons Den anyone??

18 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

It looks like a normal lifejacket tube and some clever marketing thinking to me.

Looking again I think you are correct.

It would need a child's version to be adapted perhaps for a smaller dog?

Excellent idea though agreed.

2 minutes ago, MJG said:

Looking again I think you are correct.

It would need a child's version to be adapted perhaps for a smaller dog?

Excellent idea though agreed.

It does look very much like it is just a normal life jacket put on the dog upside down. 

6 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I think the harness straps are different, but that's only webbing.

Given (especially in America!!) people would pay good money to protect their pets I bet you could make decent profit by buying a load of self inflating jackets and employing someone to adapt and alter the webbing to suit a dog and then slap on a significant mark up.

Kerching!

11 minutes ago, sueb said:

Does anyone know how many boaters dogs drown?

It seems to me the more usual thing is for owners to drown after entering the water to save their dogs - which then often survive. If a dog bouyancy aid lessens such sad occurences, it's earned it's keep.

6 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

It seems to me the more usual thing is for owners to drown after entering the water to save their dogs - which then often survive. If a dog bouyancy aid lessens such sad occurences, it's earned it's keep.

Local RNLI report. 

The inshore lifeboat was paged to rescue a person and dog in difficulty in the quay near high water on a big spring tide. It is understood the dog had gone overboard from the tender, which was struggling under oars against the tide, and the person had then entered the water to retrieve the dog. On arrival, both person and dog were back aboard the tender which was lodged in shallow water over the submerged marsh, with the harbour launch standing by and in conversation but unable to reach them. 

21 minutes ago, sueb said:

Does anyone know how many boaters dogs drown?

It's not just boaters who own dogs. Incidents of dogs drowning are far from unknown.

A quick Google reveals this, but be careful if doing so as the search results produce some upsetting videos and pictures.