Gardner 2lw Exhaust Gas Leak

mark99

Featured Posts

Gardner 2lw. Leaks exhaust gas. Tried the exhaust pipe and connections. All ok.

On back end of engine there is a empty drilling on the case - what is this for? 

I stuck a drill bit in it to illustrate it.

Is it the inlet for crankcase breather?

It appears some smoke is pulsing from here.

Will change crankcase air filter next.

20180927_102236_resized.jpg

5 hours ago, mark99 said:

Gardner 2lw. Leaks exhaust gas. Tried the exhaust pipe and connections. All ok.

On back end of engine there is a empty drilling on the case - what is this for? 

I stuck a drill bit in it to illustrate it.

Is it the inlet for crankcase breather?

It appears some smoke is pulsing from here.

Will change crankcase air filter next.

20180927_102236_resized.jpg

I'm not conversant with those engines, but isn't that the flywheel casing? The hole is more likely to align up with a corresponding hole in the flywheel to poke a peg in to lock the engine in a certain position to carry out certain jobs, possibly locks the crank on TDC on one cylinder or the other, or for injection timing purposes. Oily fumes may escape out of it past the rear main bearing, if there's any excessive crankcase pressure,  yes check for blockage of the actual engines crankcase breather, wherever that is. It might be some kind of breather if the hole goes right through, above the flywheel and into the crankcase somehow.

4 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Hi Bizz. Flywheel is opposite end. This is the end that has pulleys to drive alt and water pump.

Ok, so it probably leads into the crankcase. If you say oily fumes come out of it and not exhaust smoke. But could still be a crankshaft locking hole as well I suppose.

3 minutes ago, mark99 said:

There seems to be a lot of fumes pulsing out of the crankcase filter. The red topped unit.

Could too much oil do this or is the engine just tired?

Too much oil in it will mean more oil to get hot which increases the general heat of the crankcase. But probably a bit tired. Do the fumes smell of diesel exhaust or just oily fumes.

1 hour ago, mark99 said:

Poss worn rings?  

I think this is the best guess so far.  When you change the breather filter, cut the old one open and see if there are any more clues.

Next move would be a compression test, followed by another test with some oil in the cylinders.

Conventionally, this end is described as the front of the engine, rather than the back.

Edited by Boredrider

Hi Mark,

I don't suppose a blanking bolt had dropped out? any indications in cut away diagrams in the manuals?. I doubt it is serious, probably the crankcase breather needs changing.......... Surprised Steamraiser has not picked up on this one..

Mike

I suspect that the hole is for a locating dowel or a casing bolt.. Without it in place I would expect a little oil loss but not fumes.  Change your crankcase filter, check that the oil level is not too high. If either is overfull or blocked it could potentially result in fumes.It is not usual for a Gardner to be blowing out of the crankcase. Normally I would expect an "oily" Gardner to show at the exhaust not at the crankcase. Check these first. After determining that these are in order, should the fumes persist, I would  suggest that your engine is in need of some serious TLC. Even Gardners die in the end.

Just one final thought.......................... you don't have  four pence a gallon recycled snot oil from Wilco or summat similar in it do you?

Thanks. No it's good old Morris Golden Film sae 30 changed at 200-300 hours. It does look like a dowl missing as I can see another dowl nearby. Oil pressure is great 45 or slighly more when cold dropping to 33-35 or so when really pushing after a few hours. There is more than one oil pressure gauge that back each other up so to speak.

Will report back. The engine runs fine - it just stinks in the engine room and with a low sun setting you can see the crankcase filter puffing/pulsing out a little smoke. Nothing to check air filter wise?  Its a wet oil bath Walsh type bowl on the air filter.

Edited by mark99

My 3L2 hasn’t got a breather filter. There’s an elbow in the crankcase that lines up with the inlet above. On start up with the sun coming through the side doors quite a lot of fumes are visible, but they clear quickly. The only other time they are obvious is at idle after a long run under load. I’m not worried about it at all, in 20 years it hasn’t changed. It hardly uses any oil and starts immediately on the coldest of days.

Thanks. Due oil and filters change. If no diff I can consider to tee the breather into a 2" sidewall exhaust that's very close by. About 300mm. The exhaust is for a diesel central heating  boiler that we have used perhaps once in three years. 

Hole bolted and sealed with dowty washer. Cranky filter on its way.

Autopsy on old filter tomorrow. If still smelly, will pipe the crankcase fumes straight out side of boat via a little gauze flametrap via existing through wall fitting. The reinforced silicon hoses these days are great. 38mm dia straight on filter spigot, down to 22mm including a 90 bend  then copper away.

Edited by mark99