OK, I give up!

Aguila

Featured Posts

“We trained hard—but it seemed that every time we were beginning to form up into teams we were reorganized. I was to learn later in life that we tend to meet any new situation by reorganizing, and what a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion of progress while actually producing confusion, inefficiency, and demoralization.”

― Petronius Arbiter.Roman centurion.

Not really relevant, but it reminded me of a poster someone once put up in work, which was soon taken down by management.

13 minutes ago, Timx said:

“We trained hard—but it seemed that every time we were beginning to form up into teams we were reorganized. I was to learn later in life that we tend to meet any new situation by reorganizing, and what a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion of progress while actually producing confusion, inefficiency, and demoralization.”

― Petronius Arbiter.Roman centurion.

Not really relevant, but it reminded me of a poster someone once put up in work, which was soon taken down by management.

Yes, seen that before. Also put up at work, by a workshy bunch of staff, only interested in how little actual work they had to do for their salary.

Quite what the relevance to the OP is goodness knows.

6 hours ago, MJG said:

Yes, seen that before. Also put up at work, by a workshy bunch of staff, only interested in how little actual work they had to do for their salary.

Quite what the relevance to the OP is goodness knows.

More commonly known as change, for changes sake then?

Just now, rusty69 said:

Have you marked it as read? 

I dont even know what marked as read is ? Whatever it is I have never had to do it!

4 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I dont even know what marked as read is ? Whatever it is I have never had to do it!

I don't use it either , but presume if you select the "marked site read' button, then those posts will not be shown, allowing you to only see the new ones. 

11 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

3 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I don't use it either , but presume if you select the "marked site read' button, then those posts will not be shown, allowing you to only see the new ones. 

Forget that smelly. I just tried it, and it doesn't seem to do that at all! 

1 hour ago, Ian F B said:

Perhaps the staff were demoralised and less productive because of poor management???? 

Ah that old chestnut yes.

Problem was that I came 'up through the ranks' and worked in the very same team for a couple of years so knew exactly who was happy to put a good days work in and who just came to work to coast through the day doing as little as possible.

I'm sorry but in all walks of life there are people and groups who don't like being managed, particularly when it breaks up their cosy little world.

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

I use it every time I visit. It means that next time I visit only those threads with new posts since my last visit are highlighted. 

Edited to add that if you read every thread with new posts on every visit it does this anyway and in this case is not necessary. The "mark site as read" basically just un-highlights those threads that you chose not to open on the previous visit unless they have new posts.

Edited by rgreg
  • Greenie 1

Not so much a chestnut, Martin, more a truth. One of my headmasters was very good at strutting around the school exuding self-importance but failed to establish good relations with most of the staff. During his (thankfully fairly brief) reign the hangdog atmosphere in the common room was most noticeable - we were professionals and did our jobs, but the spark had gone. Fortunately, he left rather abruptly after allegedly confusing the school's funds and property with his own. The headmistress who replaced him was quick to establish an excellent rapport with the staff and to lead by example, and we began once more to arrive in the morning eager to work and make progress rather than just to get through the day.

But, as you suggest, some staff will try to coast through their working day no matter what type of leader is in charge. I remember hearing the news that a particular colleague was leaving, and the colleague who told me added "I wonder who's going to sit in the staff room and do her job".

Edited by Athy

9 minutes ago, Athy said:

But, as you suggest, some staff will try to coast through their working day no matter what type of leader is in charge. I remember hearing the news that a particular colleague was leaving, and the colleague who told me added "I wonder who's going to sit in the staff room and do her job".

And its exactly when you start addressing this type of issue that you often start hitting problems. Some people just dont like to be 'managed'.

10 minutes ago, MJG said:

And its exactly when you start addressing this type of issue that you often start hitting problems. Some people just dont like to be 'managed'.

I certainly fall into that category, so I told my boss to shove it when I was about 23 years old and went self employed.

I'm still not sure if its going to work out...

Folk that don't like being managed usually become deadwood, mainly in large companies and corporations and just swan about skiving. Small companies can't afford this behavior and soon find ways of getting shot of them. Its difficult to sack these folk these days without costly tribunals and all, unless they do something criminal. They should really be self employed in some field or other, but they rarely do that because it means hard work, long hours and lots of self disipline.

We have a, NHS mental health nurse here, well she began as a nurse, worked herself up and is now team leader of nurse training. But she spends most of here time attending hearings, tribunals and things, appertaing to the skivers and deadwood we're talking about, and trying to do her normal job at the same time. And thats just one local team. All this carry on must cost the NHS and us an absolute fortune.     Mind you she's in the right place here, she gets plenty of practice.