Boat sunk, by Stag Party?

Bewildered

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, rgreg said:

I find that I'm more ruthless when disposing of items on the boat than I am in a house and comfortably live aboard without using the roof space for any storage.

Plenty of people appear able to make reasonably tidy roof boxes for storage as well.

I'm often amazed at what people keep on top of their boats - I guess just in case.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, rgreg said:

I find that I'm more ruthless when disposing of items on the boat than I am in a house and comfortably live aboard without using the roof space for any storage.

Yes, you've hit on what I thought of adding (having read it in posts by various liveaboards in the past): that one has to be hard-hearted in disposing of items "from home" when moving on to a boat. Both Mrs. Athy and I would find this difficult: I sometimes say that if we lived on a boat we'd need to tow a butty for my records and her shoes, and I'm only partially joking.

1 minute ago, roland elsdon said:

I tend not to keep rotting bags of rubbish ..

Don't think of them as "rubbish", but as "things that might come in useful sometime". I agree about the "rotting" bit, though we had not mentioned that aspect before.

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

Yes, you've hit on what I thought of adding (having read it in posts by various liveaboards in the past): that one has to be hard-hearted in disposing of items "from home" when moving on to a boat. Both Mrs. Athy and I would find this difficult: I sometimes say that if we lived on a boat we'd need to tow a butty for my records and her shoes, and I'm only partially joking.

Wrong boat then.  This one is for sale on the duck ...

494677_1.jpg?1476889677

59 minutes ago, gunsmoke said:

If you want to understand the reasons for the ruination of the itinerant life on the waterways over the past 20 years or so you should understand what is meant by New Age Traveller, New Traveller, Traveller and Bargee Traveller. 

If you live on a boat and are itinerant you are legally classed as a 'traveller'.  That is not helpful  and creates difficulties when dealing with 'the authorities'.  It helps CRT if they bring a case against you if they claim you are a traveller.

We all suffer as a result of this pointless 'victim' subculture as also other psychotic belief systems and subcultures.

I welcome intelligent, informative responses. 

Surely then all Constant Cruisers (those who no longer have bricks and mortar) are Travellers . I know some shiny-boat, Daily Mail readers who would have a fit if I called them that. Mind you there's a certain romance in being called 'Water Gypsies'?

3 hours ago, gunsmoke said:

Not 'crusty hippy' - 'traveller'.     Travellers are not 'hippies'.    Their origin is in the 'punk' subculture, completely different.   Arthur lives in a dreamworld where his preferred truth holds sway and everything else is an '-ism'. 

Wish i did... I think you've misunderstood me.  When I say one tends to live in the nicest place one can afford, that doesn't just mean in monetary terms.  Everyone has their own definition, but you would, I think, accept that if you had the option, of living in a ditch or with some kind of roof, you'd choose the roof. No doubt there are some who don't, but I doubt there are many.

Travellers' origins being in the punk subculture is a new concept to me.  It's nice to meet an expert in these things, but I must admit I rather thought travellers pre-dated punk by quite a while (unless, of course, you constantly redefine words to fit your argument, which I think is cheating, though regrettably common).  But I would really like to know what my "preferred truth" is as I've spent most of my life looking under stones trying to find anything that I could actually define as "truth".

Anyway, this has now started straying into personal comments which have nowt to do with the original topic, which was, if I recall, about plonkers in boats, so I shall bid the thread goodbye and go boating... but do feel free to discuss the dreamworld I live in without me.

2 hours ago, gunsmoke said:

...or that of a 'Freeman of the Land' i.e. 'traveller'.

The term is "Freeman on the land", and the movement has absolutely nothing to do with travelling. Or travellers.

2 hours ago, gunsmoke said:

Most people do no research, do more drinking than thinking and make ill informed comments 'off the top of their heads'.

Some do.

Edited by eid
Accuracy.

2 hours ago, Athy said:

Have you never been on the point of throwing something away and then thought, no, I'll keep it because it may come in useful? I certainly have, but as I live in a house with a garage, a loft and a shed, it's easier to stow such things away (and on occasion they HAVE come in useful). If one lives on  boat, places to store such items are far less plentiful, so the roof is often the only option, I would imagine.

No.

If it hasn't got a use now then we get rid of it both at home and on the boat.

Can't be dealing with clutter.

2 hours ago, rgreg said:

Me too. No crap whatsoever on our roof. Living on a boat is a lifestyle choice and very different froma pile of bricks or breeze blocks and you have to adapt a completely different way of life. Most of the stuff or often crap on the roof or indeed roof boxes is never used so needs getting rid of.

• Greenie 1

12 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Me too. No crap whatsoever on our roof. Living on a boat is a lifestyle choice and very different froma pile of bricks or breeze blocks and you have to adapt a completely different way of life. Most of the stuff or often crap on the roof or indeed roof boxes is never used so needs getting rid of.

We go through our boat every few months and clear out everything that is not needed.

It is surprising just how much we manage to collect in a short space of time in a small boat.

25 minutes ago, eid said:

The term is "Freeman on the land", and the movement has absolutely nothing to do with travelling. Or travellers.

Some do.

Your link suggests both / either are correct :

to search

Freemen-on-the-land (also freemen-of-the-land, the freemen movement or simply freemen) are a loose group of individuals who believe that they are bound by statute laws only if they consent to those laws.

23 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

We don't have any bricks or breeze blocks on our roof either, they're under the floorboards instead :) (a bugger when they need dusting). 

Just now, rusty69 said:

We don't have any bricks or breeze blocks on our roof either, they're under the floorboards instead :) (a bugger when they need dusting). 

Eeeeeeeejjut. 

Thought i would save you the effort 

• Haha 1

Surely we should be careful to say that the sinking was allegedly owing to the passing single-sex party boat? AFAIK, no-one has actually shown that there was a causative link, or even a contributory one. Anti-social behaviour is to be deplored and it would have no doubt left me as annoyed as some have shown in earlier posts, although foe the most part I quite enjoy seeing other people enjoying themselves. However, up to a point, this behaviour may break rules of good neighbourliness but is not actually illegal. I am slightly sceptical (in the scientific/philosophical sense) that on a canal navigation a boat can make sufficient disturbance as to be capable of causing a boat that is reasonably compliant with the expectation of meeting the bylaws to take on water, let along sink it. 

7 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I gave to say this is complete bobbins. I can afford to live in far nicer accommodation than a canal boat but choose the boat because I like it. I suspect a lot of posters here and boat dwellers in general are in the same position. I was even evicted from my first boat home by a council saying our boats must be hovels and we should not be allowed to live in them. Same high handed arrogance. It is not for you to dictate where someone else may or may not choose to live. 

In general In would agree with you but for those who can recall the slum clearance, mainly in the post war period, compulsory purchase was pretty much the only way of taking these terrible properties out of use.

2 minutes ago, AMModels said:

I would like to say this thread has surprised me with peoples reactions and feelings on the matter, and that there are some who have displayed a remarkable humanity when compared to their previous offerings on the forum... Id like to but I can't.

Try harder! There are plenty of humane posts in the thread.

Edited by Athy

1 minute ago, AMModels said:

That's not what I said though Athy. The important word being compared.

How were readers to know that they should single out that one word for special attention?

To me "can't" is the key word in your post, though I wonder whether you meant "won't". People can wear their nice glasses or their nasty glasses as they choose, and that choice can allow them to see things differently. Is there something in particular that annoys you about posts in the thread?

Just now, Athy said:

How were readers to know that they should single out that one word for special attention?

To me "can't" is the key word in your post, though I wonder whether you meant "won't". People can wear their nice glasses or their nasty glasses as they choose, and that choice can allow them to see things differently. Is there something in particular that annoys you about posts in the thread?

Maybe reading the whole thing rather than focusing on one word would have helped? 

No its can't, won't is a totally different thing.

Annoys? If it did, Id have said so. No it just reinforces previously held opinions. 

50 minutes ago, AMModels said:

I would like to say this thread has surprised me with peoples reactions and feelings on the matter, and that there are some who have displayed a remarkable humanity when compared to their previous offerings on the forum... Id like to but I cant.

Hence - A leopard never changes it’s spots

5 hours ago, Athy said:

I thought Andy was giving a thumbs up.