Boat sunk, by Stag Party?

Bewildered

Featured Posts

Less of the old. Git!

Two Trees closed only earlier this year I think. The rail bridge did indeed go years ago.

My old haunt was the Avondale. (Avonsplodge). It wasn't in the best of nick in the early seventies but rumour has it that it's a bit run down now. And very quiet. Also many believe Plymouth has seen its best and Students have taken over from us good men.

27 minutes ago, gunsmoke said:

'Travellers' do choose to live in a 'rotting hulk'. You don't maintain it, you don't paint it, you just 'squat' in it.  

That's squatters, not travellers.  And not even true of most squatters.  And even a rotting hulk is better than not having a roof over your head.

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

. . .  even a rotting hulk is better than not having a roof over your head.

Many of Australia’s earliest settlers were housed in rotting hulks on the Thames before departing for sunnier climes. Not to say that they would necessarily have agreed with your sentiment.

6 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Less of the old. Git!

Two Trees closed only earlier this year I think. The rail bridge did indeed go years ago.

My old haunt was the Avondale. (Avonsplodge). It wasn't in the best of nick in the early seventies but rumour has it that it's a bit run down now. And very quiet. Also many believe Plymouth has seen its best and Students have taken over from us good men.

Two trees went many years ago old sport I Go down Union straza ocasionaly still on my visits to my kids in Torpoint. It's much changed and Agnes Weston's ain't what it used to be either!!

Just now, NigelMoore said:

Many of Australia’s earliest settlers were housed in rotting hulks on the Thames before departing for sunnier climes. Not to say that they would necessarily have agreed with your sentiment.

Are you sure?  The wave of Europeans 50,000 years later maybe ... 

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Two trees went many years ago old sport I Go down Union straza ocasionaly still on my visits to my kids in Torpoint. It's much changed and Agnes Weston's ain't what it used to be either!!

My apologies are offered. Really did think it was recent. Must have slept since! Went into Aggies on first leave during Raleigh training. I haven't changed a bit. I'm on the right.

IMG_1577.JPG

4 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

My apologies are offered. Really did think it was recent. Must have slept since! Went into Aggies on first leave during Raleigh training. I haven't changed a bit. I'm on the right.

IMG_1577.JPG

Excellent ? At least the bloke on the left joined a proper branch ?

going back to the drinking and not being in control due to alcohol, I would of thought a statement of that from a police officer would be enough in court.

maybe a copper could answer but do police officers have anypowere to breathalise a non driver?

15 minutes ago, Bee said:

Funny innit, way, way back in time when I moved onto an old wooden boat it was mostly tree huggers, lovey dovey etc. etc. people and we were taking responsibility for our own lives, happily building our own boats but we were rather looked down upon by respectable, decent folk who didn't smell of old damp boats and mould and lived in houses and then the respectable decent folk thought 'that looks like fun' and moved on the system in boats with showers and microwaves and TV's and stuff and then they could pay huge licence and mooring fees and had lots of money and lots of us thought stuff this for a game of soldiers and left the cut. Now there's a few old arthritic tree huggers living with reduced means on old boats who's only crime is a tendency to untidiness  nobody likes them. I'm gonna go and find a tree to hug.

Does anyone else remember the book “Adelina” published in 1981? One of the most memorable early chapters recounted his endless struggle to keep his old wooden narrowboat afloat while on Duckett’s Cut. He left a girlfriend in charge while he went on holiday, and she was such a gibbering wreck on his return that he found himself proposing to take her mind off the nightmare.

They went on to raise a small family in the same boat, while mooring on the Basingstoke. The boat survived in successive hands long after they had eventually left for overseas.

17 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Depends what time of day you drive past, Tim! 

8 Jan 2018 · The Plymouth boozer has officially re-opened under new management. ... The Two Trees pub on Union Street closed its doors in ...

17 Jul 2018 · One of Plymouth's most iconic pubs is set to be demolished and turned into flats, it can be revealed. The death knell has finally sounded for The Two Trees on Union Street after serving families for generations. ... The developer understood to have bought the pub intends to pull it ...

(Quite where they got the "families" idea from I don't know, but the source is the Evening Herald, so accuracy isn't really a thing) :

Edited by Sea Dog
Brackets

2 minutes ago, thebfg said:

going back to the drinking and not being in control due to alcohol, I would of thought a statement of that from a police officer would be enough in court.

maybe a copper could answer but do police officers have anypowere to breathalise a non driver?

I think they would need objective evidence like before breath testing, so walking in a straight line, saying the alphabet backwards etc

3 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Depends what time of day you drive past, Tim! 

8 Jan 2018 · The Plymouth boozer has officially re-opened under new management. ... The Two Trees pub on Union Street closed its doors in ...

17 Jul 2018 · One of Plymouth's most iconic pubs is set to be demolished and turned into flats, it can be revealed. The death knell has finally sounded for The Two Trees on Union Street after serving families for generations. ... The developer understood to have bought the pub intends to pull it ...

Shouldn't be allowed innitt ?

13 minutes ago, Athy said:

But surely the aborigines were indigenous, whereas "settlers" by definition settle there having arrived from somewhere else?

Thank you Athy. Though to be fair, the native population must also have arrived from elsewhere to start with (a popular theory suggesting that a land bridge joining Malaysia & Indonesia to Australia existed way back when, though I see no need for such - the ancients were capable sea voyagers].

I can't afford to throw accusations of pedanticism from my own particular glass house.

2 minutes ago, Mike Hurley said:

Who can do that sober, let alone after a skinfull.

I once had to do a sobriety test. months and alphabet backwards. I thinkni did struggle with the alphabet

and the walking and turning stuff.

passed with flying colours much to the officers disgust.

11 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

I think they would need objective evidence like before breath testing, so walking in a straight line, saying the alphabet backwards etc

yes they could and give a statement as to why i felt it was the case.

we all know how hard it is to  prove an officers opinion is wrong.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, gunsmoke said:

It's a subculture.  Not about just getting a roof over your head.  Living under a tarpaulin is 'de rigueur'.

There is a difference between the , so called, 'continuous moorer', the person surviving on a low income, the 'liveaboard' with stuff on the roof, and the New Age Traveller/New Traveller/Traveller.
One is an artificially created benefits and drugs based victim subculture allied with the 'rave' subculture that shuns and despises members of the 'settled community' which it leeches off in the same way as the other 'travellers.  The NBTA has a Traveller agenda.   The intention is to claim the status of ethnic minority, like other travellers, and, therefore, have greater immunity from 'interference'.   Few people seem to understand this.     

Not sure which one you've singled out as being a leech.  But I'm very glad to know it's so easy to judge who is which.  Must be nice to have such expertise. Oh, and to know that living under a taup  in sub-zero temperatures is just "de rigueur".  Someone should have told the couple of people who froze to death in Manchester last winter.  You're right, though.  Few people do understand that.

Collects his coat and leaves this particular bit of the discussion...

• Greenie 2

28 minutes ago, NigelMoore said:

Does anyone else remember the book “Adelina” published in 1981? One of the most memorable early chapters recounted his endless struggle to keep his old wooden narrowboat afloat while on Duckett’s Cut. He left a girlfriend in charge while he went on holiday, and she was such a gibbering wreck on his return that he found himself proposing to take her mind off the nightmare.

They went on to raise a small family in the same boat, while mooring on the Basingstoke. The boat survived in successive hands long after they had eventually left for overseas.

The complete text of the book is on the Basingstoke Canal Society's website.  It's a great read.

Basingstoke Canal Society Archive - Adelina

• Greenie 1