Hair Dryer

eid

Featured Posts

I am awaiting delivery of this:

index.jpeg.69e64ad3545a94a657da521ebc43987a.jpeg

It is a 1200w, pink, hair dryer with dual heat switch. I'm not sure yet watt whattage the lower setting is, but I'm thinking it might be just over half the full, so perhaps 700w.

Assuming my speculation is even near correct, my question is, can I safely run this using my 1500w inverter, with 4x 110ah FLA batteries, or am I likely to damage the batteries? Could I, for instance, run it for a couple of minutes at a time, with engine running?

Thanks.

For anyone who is interested, this is what I'll be using it on:

51PkpPR6oSL._AC_US218_.jpg.62bb815c33c4d08a0b925a9afd9e581f.jpg

I've used this before on single glazed windows and it works incredibly well.

I have similar battery capacity, a larger inverter and a big domestic alternator.  My long-haired Admiral uses the hairdryer when on shore supply or when the engine is running and a low wattage hot brush when on batteries. I'd suggest you use your dryer for your window film with the engine running or on shore supply, but I do tend to mollycoddle my batteries!

3 hours ago, eid said:

I am awaiting delivery of this:

index.jpeg.69e64ad3545a94a657da521ebc43987a.jpeg

It is a 1200w, pink, hair dryer with dual heat switch. I'm not sure yet watt whattage the lower setting is, but I'm thinking it might be just over half the full, so perhaps 700w.

Assuming my speculation is even near correct, my question is, can I safely run this using my 1500w inverter, with 4x 110ah FLA batteries, or am I likely to damage the batteries? Could I, for instance, run it for a couple of minutes at a time, with engine running?

Thanks.

For anyone who is interested, this is what I'll be using it on:

51PkpPR6oSL._AC_US218_.jpg.62bb815c33c4d08a0b925a9afd9e581f.jpg

I've used this before on single glazed windows and it works incredibly well.

The drier on full power will be ok with your inverter assuming it s a real 1500W capability  as opposed to some of the ones on eBay which seem to be about 2/3 of what is claimed.  When running the drier the inverter will take about 120amps and - guessing - your alternator is say 75amps, so the batteries will make up the difference, say 40amps which is fine from your batteries.

I would run the engine at about 1400rpm which will ensure a reasonable alternator output and spin the alternator fast enough such that it’s internal fan will keep it cool.  I would not run the drier for more than 10 mins at a time followed by a 20min off time. Engine running all the time.  This will allow the alternator and inverter some cooling time and also give the batteries some time to to recharge.  If you run the drier for less time, then adjust the off time accordingly, so duty ratio of 1:2. 

just my thoughts, others may differ.

Edited by Chewbacka

21 hours ago, cuthound said:

Some hairdryers switch in a diode to block every other half-cycle and thus reduce power.

Not all inverters, especially MSW ones, like this and can suffer a premature death.

19 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

In which case, full power setting only.

Thanks. That could have been an expensive mistake, ?

18 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

The drier on full power will be ok with your inverter assuming it s a real 1500W capability  as opposed to some of the ones on eBay which seem to be about 2/3 of what is claimed.  When running the drier the inverter will take about 120amps and - guessing - your alternator is say 75amps, so the batteries will make up the difference, say 40amps which is fine from your batteries.

I would run the engine at about 1400rpm which will ensure a reasonable alternator output and spin the alternator fast enough such that it’s internal fan will keep it cool.  I would not run the drier for more than 10 mins at a time followed by a 20min off time. Engine running all the time.  This will allow the alternator and inverter some cooling time and also give the batteries some time to to recharge.  If you run the drier for less time, then adjust the off time accordingly, so duty ratio of 1:2. 

just my thoughts, others may differ.

It's a Sterling inverter so should be fine.

Thank you for the detailed advice. I'll follow it closely.

18 hours ago, Halsey said:

SWMBO runs exactly one of those from our Victron 1600 with no issues...………………………………………. 

Great, thanks!

I did the job. It went fine. According to the Victron BM, it was only drawing 3 amps.

As I stated previsously, I've used the above film before. However, this time there seems to be some residue on it making it slightly less than transparent. It looks like condensation but it is not. I'm in two minds whether to bother contacting the seller and having to send it back. Just thought I'd mention it in case someone took my first post as a recommendation.

Edited by eid