Anchor stowage photos please

Clodi

Featured Posts

I am sure that I once saw a rather clever bracket for stowing a danforth-type anchor. It was mounted on the stern of a narrowboat just above the rear fender which kept it clear of the rudder stock.

I was convinced I had kept a copy of the picture but as 'sods-law' dictates now I want to find it, it has disappeared into the cloud .

Please if anyone has any photo's of clever anchor-stowage ideas for narrow-boat (stern) would you put me out of my misery.

8 minutes ago, b0atman said:

anchor should be deployed at front which is higher than stern to minimise risk of stern being pulled under.

You won't win that argument - too many folks who have never used an anchor comment 'it doesn't matter which end you attach the anchor'

I've tried, I've given up.

Image result for you can take a horse to water

• Greenie 1

15 minutes ago, b0atman said:

anchor should be deployed at front which is higher than stern to minimise risk of stern being pulled under.

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You won't win that argument - too many folks who have never used an anchor comment 'it doesn't matter which end you attach the anchor'

I've tried, I've given up.

Image result for you can take a horse to water

I'd also suggest that the rode should be attached to the boat at the front (which is what Alan said) rather than the anchor must be deployed from the front.  Won't resolve the issue Alan raises though! :)

4 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I'd also suggest that the rode should be attached to the boat at the front (which is what Alan said) rather than the anchor must be deployed from the front.  Won't resolve the issue Alan raises though! :)

Not much help deploying the anchor from the bow if you are going downstream in a channel narrower than the length of the boat. When the anchor bites the boat will try to swing round 180 degrees and will end up across the river with both bow and stern aground and the boat vulnerable to swamping or being rolled over.

Have the anchor ready to deploy from the upstream end of the boat to avoid this danger.

Howard

5 minutes ago, howardang said:

Not much help deploying the anchor from the bow if you are going downstream in a channel narrower than the length of the boat. When the anchor bites the boat will try to swing round 180 degrees and will end up across the river with both bow and stern aground and the boat vulnerable to swamping or being rolled over.

Have the anchor ready to deploy from the upstream end of the boat to avoid this danger.

Howard

Which is entirely true (although there's also merit in being able to deploy the anchor from the steering position, wherever it's tethered).  However, as Alan will also point out, an anchor tethered at the stern carries the potential to swamp a Narrowboat through the rear doors/engine vents in any kind of flow. 

There's no perfect answer to anchors in narrowboats imho.

I've always used anchors off the bow usually at the touch of a button, But we're talking about narrow-boats here with the 'brake' only being deployed in emergency conditions & the space to swing the boat around cannot always be guaranteed.

My question is not about actually deploying the anchor but rather stowing the thing! 

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

Which is entirely true (although there's also merit in being able to deploy the anchor from the steering position, wherever it's tethered).  However, as Alan will also point out, an anchor tethered at the stern carries the potential to swamp a Narrowboat through the rear doors/engine vents in any kind of flow. 

There's no perfect answer to anchors in narrow boats IMHO.

I agree that there is no perfect answer in the case of narrow boats apart from one obvious one, which is to avoid travelling on rivers if the current is too strong. Swamping at the stern as you mention is something which you can take measures to prevent, (closing accomodation doors, protecting vents etc, whereas deploying an anchor from the wrong end, as we are discussing could have serious consequences also over which you have no control whatsoever.

Howard

My question is not how to, or the best way to deploy ones anchor, it is regarding stowage at the aft end of a semi-trad. 

With respect to everyone let's hope if you're on a narrow boat you never have to deploy the bloody thing. 

Aside from that every circumstance is different and it is perfectly both reasonable and convenient to deploy from the stern if the alternative is wedging under a bridge or surfing a Weir.

Hopefully I'll never knowingly put myself in those situations.

A while ago a member on here posted a picture of a Danforth neatly stowed at the aft end of their boat as they set off into the Thames. I thought I had saved their photo but I can't find it now

46 minutes ago, Clodi said:

My question is not how to, or the best way to deploy ones anchor, it is regarding stowage at the aft end of a semi-trad. 

With respect to everyone let's hope if you're on a narrow boat you never have to deploy the bloody thing. 

Aside from that every circumstance is different and it is perfectly both reasonable and convenient to deploy from the stern if the alternative is wedging under a bridge or surfing a Weir.

A while ago a member on here posted a picture of a Danforth neatly stowed at the aft end of their boat as they set off into the Thames. I thought I had saved their photo but I can't find it now

Last winter we managed to store it under the bow. It's so awkward and heavy to manage, and I managed to break the stove's glass with the arm. It was also dodgy being in close proximity to the water pump - we'll not bother doing that again!

Now we're probably on the canal system until spring, the anchor which is normally upright in the cratch, has been moved to the roof on a rubber mat (making room for bags of coal in the cratch). Not ideal. 

This is a good thread, and I'm interested in how boaters store there anchor.

Mine is stored on the floor of athe starboard bow locker, next to, and connected its anchorage point, via a chain and rope, which is stored in a large bucket next to it.

Never had the need to deploy it yet, but it and the chain and rope are easily accessible,  so it should be possible to quickly deploy it, at least from the front of the boat.

1 hour ago, Clodi said:

I agree. I sometimes wonder whether a mud weight deployed to provide a relative speed against the flow to  allow one to ferry glide might be as good a solution, but once again it would need to be forward and you'd need to be to be pointing into the flow.  Darn site easier to stow than an anchor though - even a danforth (which is likely to skip over the top of a weedy bottom, so not always the ideal solution either). 

Maybe the best compromise way to rig an anchor is to have the bitter end tied off forward, run the rode aft to the steerer's position, take a loop over a stud aft and have the anchor stowed there ready for letting go.  If you can deploy with the anchor secured forward, remove the loop and deploy; if it must be secured aft (as in confined waters), let go with the loop securing it aft.  As you say though, let's hope we don't have to deploy one - not least from aft, cos sealing those engine vents isn't a 2 second job!

Anyway, to hold a bit tighter to the topic and return to your original question, I thought you'd already had the photo you were looking for from Ray T earlier?

Ray T's answer is great but I don't have a rear bump-stop just a couple of traditional rope jobbies so it won't work for me. What's so annoying is I had all my photos stored on my phone which is now at the bottom of the Shroppi and I somehow don't have them safe on my Google Drive.

I'm in for a long trawl through google images until I find what I'm looking for.

sk3-15b

Just found this idea, looks quite good but not what I'm looking for

Edited by Clodi
Add info

4 minutes ago, Clodi said:

I was rather hoping the link would open when you click on it.

I get this:

Sorry, this content isn't available at the moment

The link you followed may have expired, or the Page may only be visible to an audience that you aren't in.

Edited by Ray T

1 hour ago, Ray T said:

I get this:

Sorry, this content isn't available at the moment

The link you followed may have expired, or the Page may only be visible to an audience that you aren't in.

Me too, and I'm on FB

Here is mine. There is a hawser tube on the front"deck" and it is shackled to a strong Eye welded to the hull inside the chain locker AND a large shackle that will not fit up through the hawser tube is fitted into the bitter end of the rope part of the rode so hopefully if I ever od deploy it in anger it will not all disappear as the welded eye parts company with the hull.

Anchor.jpg