JPM fresh water centrifugal pump

CaptAWOL

Featured Posts

I'm posting this for any advice or comments that may help

Here's the set up on a 57ft narrowboat

It's a JP2 industrial engine with a marine fresh water centrifugal pump cooling from a skin tank. Calorifier fed from out feed from pump and return before a thermostat (72°C)

Lots of domestic hot water but output from engine only gets to 60°C max and return from skin tank 40°C

End plate on water pump has a felt seal, this is sealed by a grease cup using waterproof grease

I continuously have problems with leaks from the felt seal to which I've replaced numerous times, grease just pouring through seal, my thoughts on this being the continuous pressure from pump not being able to circulate around system

I've decided to go for a proper bearing type seal, in which I've had the end plate outer lip cut out to fit a 42mm x 28mm x 7m seal

I will post pics soon just am having phone issues!

You can get really good waterpump seals with ceramic sealing faces for a very reasonable amount from most bearing service companies.....They cant be run dry though.Ive done a number of early packing seal pumps converting to the ceramics with 100% success....Sometimes they take a bit of head scratching to figure out how to install the seal in the housing.

Update and pic's

I have fitted the replacement end plate CW bearing type seal as in 1st pic, 2nd pic shows previous end plate, having run the engine for an hour or so it's now completely dry but then it would also be a dry if I'd fitted a new felt seal, so I guess only time will tell

IMG_20180925_121617.jpg

IMG_20180925_115751.jpg