Oil Change Disaster

Featured Posts

Hi,

First post so hello everybody.

And not a good way to start.

We've just bought a boat and I thought I would have a go at changing the oil filter having done a few oil changes on cars on the past.

I did the oil change and turned the engine on to get oil round the system. The engine oil light came on but I thought that was fine. After about a minute it didn't go off so I turned the engine off. It was then that I notice a ton of oil under the engine. It looks like its just poured all the oil straight out somehow.

I turned off the tap on the hand pump after using it.

The main culprit is the oil filter. When I went to chandlers they didn't have the exact part number but assured me it was the correct oil filter they were giving me. It was a slightly different size to the one that came off but the screw thread was the same so I thought it was OK.

I suppose I might also have clumsily knocked off a hose but I don't think so.

Does anybody have any advice about how to clean up the oil under the engine ?

Any thoughts about what I could have done wrong?

Thanks for any help!!

Jon

Pump it out first with eg a Pela pump.  The cat litter & nappies are great for the last little bit, but you probably have over a gallon in there at the moment.

Did you lube the new o-ring on the filter?  Was the filter correctly screwed home? Was the new filter a different size to the old filter?

Yes I put some oil round the top of the filter. I screwed the filter down to hand tightness.

The filter was just a little bit different to the one that came off. I assumed that it was going to be ok because it was the one given to me at the chandlers. I guess I should have been more cautious. I will be going get a replacement filter tomorrow and will make sure it is identical to the one that came off. I just hope that was the problem and it doesn't happen again.

Its possible the filter was a very different diameter so the sealing ring missed the "land" on the filter housing, otherwise you had something trapped between the filter and housing, or the sealing ring was missing. Just possible the ring from the old filter remained in place but deformed as you put the new filter on. Carefully and slowly remove filter and investigate.  You have likely run your engine for a minute with no oil pressure and likely little flow to the bearings. Chances are you have got away with this, but there is also a chance that you have done major damage.

...............Dave

It might be worth posting engine type and filter numbers. One thing to check is that when you took the old filter off the rubber seal came off with it. Sometimes they half stick to the engine which means that the new filter won't be able to make an oil tight seal. The result is similar to what you describe. Don't ask me how I know ?

Our first oil change was a disaster too - found out the rubber seal on the old filter wasn't attached properly and got left behind. Unbeknown the new filter was screwed on - resulting in the filter having two seals. Oil spewed out everywhere! We now always make sure the old seal on the old filter is removed. 

Edited by Jennifer McM

A suction pump and then loads of kitchen roll.

You say the new filter was a slightly different size .Do you mean different length or different diameter. [ I assume it is a spin on filter and not the cartridge type]

If it's different diameter then it's obviously wrong.  Did it have a rubber seal ?

The chandlers should have book with the correct filter for your engine,and the equivalent numbers of other manufacturers filters.

14 minutes ago, LiveAndLetLive said:

Yes I put some oil round the top of the filter. I screwed the filter down to hand tightness.

The filter was just a little bit different to the one that came off. I assumed that it was going to be ok because it was the one given to me at the chandlers. I guess I should have been more cautious. I will be going get a replacement filter tomorrow and will make sure it is identical to the one that came off. I just hope that was the problem and it doesn't happen again.

Never assume! It makes an ass of you and me.

38 minutes ago, LiveAndLetLive said:

Hi,

First post so hello everybody.

And not a good way to start.

We've just bought a boat and I thought I would have a go at changing the oil filter having done a few oil changes on cars on the past.

I did the oil change and turned the engine on to get oil round the system. The engine oil light came on but I thought that was fine. After about a minute it didn't go off so I turned the engine off. It was then that I notice a ton of oil under the engine. It looks like its just poured all the oil straight out somehow.

I turned off the tap on the hand pump after using it.

The main culprit is the oil filter. When I went to chandlers they didn't have the exact part number but assured me it was the correct oil filter they were giving me. It was a slightly different size to the one that came off but the screw thread was the same so I thought it was OK.

I suppose I might also have clumsily knocked off a hose but I don't think so.

Does anybody have any advice about how to clean up the oil under the engine ?

Any thoughts about what I could have done wrong?

Thanks for any help!!

Jon

A few weeks ago I changed the oil in the engine of my most recent boat.  I gave the part number of the oil filter to my local motor factors and they supplied me with what they claimed was the correct filter.  When I removed the old one (which I couldn't eyeball in situ - it's in a really awkward place) it was slightly different to the new one so I returned to the motor factors with both filters and they agreed the one they had supplied was the wrong type.  However, when they showed me the picture of said filter in their stock list it was exactly the same as the filter I had just removed - there was clearly a mistake and what is worse when they checked it against others the mistake was repeated by several manufacturers.  I did wonder at the time how many folk had been caught out by this thinking that oh the filter looks slightly different but it's the right part number so it must be ok.

As it happens the filter I needed could not be sourced by the motor factors so I rang Filter Services  http://www.filter-services.co.uk/ who I can thoroughly recommend for their knowledge and efficiency - the correct filter arrived the following morning.

Hopefully you haven't damaged the engine and it's a lesson learned.   BTW removing oil is best done with a wet vac - it's a messy business cleaning the reservoir afterwards but if there's a significant amount of oil there's really no other way.

• Greenie 1

This is the oil extractor I have and it works well  at extracting oil from engines . and presumably be happy extracting oil from the bilge.  It will be  a bit slow if the oil is old but will get there eventually

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-Tools-TP69-Vacuum-Fluid-Extractor-6-5-Litre-Tank-Drainer-Water-Engine-Oil/200689460884?epid=14020213567&hash=item2eba062694:g:6BcAAMXQn11Rb7R9

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

A few weeks ago I changed the oil in the engine of my most recent boat.  I gave the part number of the oil filter to my local motor factors and they supplied me with what they claimed was the correct filter.  When I removed the old one (which I couldn't eyeball in situ - it's in a really awkward place) it was slightly different to the new one so I returned to the motor factors with both filters and they agreed the one they had supplied was the wrong type.  However, when they showed me the picture of said filter in their stock list it was exactly the same as the filter I had just removed - there was clearly a mistake and what is worse when they checked it against others the mistake was repeated by several manufacturers.  I did wonder at the time how many folk had been caught out by this thinking that oh the filter looks slightly different but it's the right part number so it must be ok.

As it happens the filter I needed could not be sourced by the motor factors so I rang Filter Services  http://www.filter-services.co.uk/ who I can thoroughly recommend for their knowledge and efficiency - the correct filter arrived the following morning.

Hopefully you haven't damaged the engine and it's a lesson learned.   BTW removing oil is best done with a wet vac - it's a messy business cleaning the reservoir afterwards but if there's a significant amount of oil there's really no other way.

If the Wet Vac has Wood shavings placed in the Reservoir before sucking up the Oil , cleanup is easier.

32 minutes ago, LiveAndLetLive said:

The engine is an Isuzu 42. I haven't got the filter number with me right now. Fingers crossed DMR that we haven't done any damage!

The old filter came off really easily. I was surprised because oil changes on cars in the past have always involved a real struggle.

I have an Isuzu 42 and the oil filter number I use is --- Isuzu 5-87610008-0.  Not cheap but the genuine article.   

3 minutes ago, MartynG said:

This is the oil extractor I have and it works well  at extracting oil from engines . and presumably be happy extracting oil from the bilge.  It will be  a bit slow if the oil is old but will get there eventually

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-Tools-TP69-Vacuum-Fluid-Extractor-6-5-Litre-Tank-Drainer-Water-Engine-Oil/200689460884?epid=14020213567&hash=item2eba062694:g:6BcAAMXQn11Rb7R9

No it won't work on oil floating about in a bilge.  You will suck some of it up down to a certain level but then you need constant high vacuum pressure and air flow ie a wet vac.  

3 minutes ago, tosher said:

I have an Isuzu 42 and the oil filter number I use is --- Isuzu 5-87610008-0.  Not cheap but the genuine article.   

https://www.inlinefilters.co.uk/Filters-Lube/SpinOn/M20x1.5/FIN-FL70240

Lists that Isuzu part as compatible.  I wonder if the filter supplied to the OP appears on the list of compatible filters?

Edited by TheBiscuits

7 minutes ago, cereal tiller said:

If the Wet Vac has Wood shavings placed in the Reservoir before sucking up the Oil , cleanup is easier.

Good idea I'm ashamed I hadn't thought of that!

Years ago my next door neighbour told me he didn't waste old engine oil, he laboriously used to brush it on the underside of his old morris minor this was before waxoyl and the like.  I'm now thinking there must be a good use for wood shavings soaked in old engine oil.... 

Just now, Neil2 said:

Years ago my next door neighbour told me he didn't waste old engine oil, he laboriously used to brush it on the underside of his old morris minor this was before waxoyl and the like.  I'm now thinking there must be a good use for wood shavings soaked in old engine oil.... 

Remember remember the 5th of November...

• Greenie 1

46 minutes ago, LiveAndLetLive said:

The engine is an Isuzu 42. I haven't got the filter number with me right now. Fingers crossed DMR that we haven't done any damage!

The old filter came off really easily. I was surprised because oil changes on cars in the past have always involved a real struggle.

How long was it running before you realised and switched it off.

The Isuzu 42 is a pretty robust piece of kit.

1 minute ago, Neil2 said:

Yep, wrap some up in kitchen roll and start the fire with it

saves firelighters and sticks. 

Just sayin, like!

Nipper

• Greenie 1