Secret Codes for Fuel Boats

Jennifer McM

Featured Posts

Is there a code boaters use when they want a fuel boat to stop (in case we miss them) while moored? I don't really want to keep phoning these busy people, asking where they are.

What happens when you're cruising along, and a fuel boat passes? We've only ever had fuel boats stop while we, or they, are moored. Presume one of us moor, and the other comes along side?

We've held back when a fuel boat is serving another boat, though I expect there are a few impatient people around.

Thanks for any suggestions.... I'm trying not to cause any inconvenience for people.

Edited by Jennifer McM

We've done that with Halsall too. Even though we weren't on board they rang us to see what we required, served us, and I later rang and paid by card. Excellent service.

If you ring most fuel boats you can arrange a rendezvous. I usually find where they are and which way they're heading, then wait at an appropriate spot.

Obviously if you're on a permanent mooring, you can be a regular customer, and they'll 'service' you as they pass, but I believe you're a 'cruiser' like us.

Rog

• Greenie 1

21 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

What happens when you're cruising along, and a fuel boat passes? We've only ever had fuel boats stop while we, or they, are moored. Presume one of us moor, and the other comes along side?

I've once been refueled by a fuel boat while both of us were floating loose in a bridge hole on the GU, we also changed a gas bottle

In fairness it was very early morning and the only other thing moving was the boat we were travelling in convoy with (who also filled up straight after us)

Edited by Jess--
  • Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, dor said:

I contact them (Halsall) by text.  They will fill the tank up if we are not there, tell how much it is then we pay them by BACS.

They text us when they will be in the area.

Thanks, Duh... why didn't I think of that! ?

Just phoned Auriga, he passed us on the Ashby yesterday but he had passed before the 'penny dropped'!  Got his answer phone, and have left a message.  The Ashby is good like that, what goes up, has to come down.. unless he passed us before we woke up.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Tea-Pot / Kettle on the roof. but ensure the spout is pointing in the right direction or you may get some unwanted attention.

The spout in the wrong direction.... ???? - be kind to me I've led a sheltered life ?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Tea-Pot / Kettle on the roof. but ensure the spout is pointing in the right direction or you may get some unwanted attention.

You will get the sisterhood baying for your blood Alan!

13 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

The spout in the wrong direction.... ???? - be kind to me I've led a sheltered life ?

It is/was a (badly kept) secret recognition signal for a group of boaters that excludes people based on gender.

The excluded found it funny, as did many of the included.

Edit to add: 

You are unlikely to get a fuel boat to stop by displaying one, but you might get some odd conversations from other boaters ...

Edited by TheBiscuits
  • Greenie 1

I've done it twice on the basis of "Oh, there's a fuel boat passing - quick, shout sound horn"

Once on the Oxford where it was very narrow - we held us a couple of boats for "a minute"

Once on the Thames at Beale Park while bot boats were moving (it's very wide there)

Good for everybody - keeps the mobile traders in business and you get an excellent service to boot. 

1 minute ago, OldGoat said:

I've done it twice on the basis of "Oh, there's a fuel boat passing - quick, shout sound horn"

Once on the Oxford where it was very narrow - we held us a couple of boats for "a minute"

Once on the Thames at Beale Park while bot boats were moving (it's very wide there)

Good for everybody - keeps the mobile traders in business and you get an excellent service to boot. 

Could agree with your last sentence more!

42 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

Thanks, Duh... why didn't I think of that! ?

Just phoned Auriga, he passed us on the Ashby yesterday but he had passed before the 'penny dropped'!  Got his answer phone, and have left a message.  The Ashby is good like that, what goes up, has to come down.. unless he passed us before we woke up.

Auriga uses Facebook to advertise his route,  normally I message him with my order and leave cash with a neighbour who will be in during the day

• Greenie 1

22 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Auriga uses Facebook to advertise his route,  normally I message him with my order and leave cash with a neighbour who will be in during the day

Thanks, found it now https://www.facebook.com/GravenorBoatingCompany/ 

He'll be turning around at Snarestone today.

I moor on Auriga's route, and simply wave and shout at Rick when I want fuel. He always stops and reverses back if necessary.

I have succesfully used the same technique with other fuel boats when I have met them coming the other way when out and about cruising.

Edited by cuthound
To add the last sentance

Halsall has a key for my diesel tank.  When I need some diesel I phone or text and they fill it up the next time they see my boat wherever it is even if I'm not there.  They text me the cost & I pay by bank transfer, usually the next day.  I like to use the same source consistently.

The secret is........wave at the fuel boat well in advance!  Why do people think they should let you go past and then belatedly ask, "are you selling diesel/coal/pump out?", which means hitting the anchors and reversing a couple of boat lengths to serve them!

George

• Greenie 1

19 minutes ago, furnessvale said:

The secret is........wave at the fuel boat well in advance!  Why do people think they should let you go past and then belatedly ask, "are you selling diesel/coal/pump out?", which means hitting the anchors and reversing a couple of boat lengths to serve them!

George

Trouble was when we saw Auriga yesterday we were dosing in front of the telly, as you do. It was too late to flag him down, he caught us unaware. 

30 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

Halsall has a key for my diesel tank.  When I need some diesel I phone or text and they fill it up the next time they see my boat wherever it is even if I'm not there.  They text me the cost & I pay by bank transfer, usually the next day.  I like to use the same source consistently.

I just text them and they fill up when passing, it costs a few pence more but convenient. 

25 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

We once met Alton at one of the paired locks on the Cheshire Locks. They were going up and us down. Got a full tank of diesel and 5 bags of coal.

PS anyone know where Dusty is on the Oxford? Not answering text message.

Jock is on holiday till end of month ( dusty )