North West UK

Lfpthomas

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

Size? Type?

He'd probably be rotund and talk plain blunt.

But seriously, in Liverpool you have two established boatbuilding firms: Collingwood's and Aintree. The latter have recently earned good "press" on this forum. Is this for having a boat built or for repairs/ modifications?

Both Collingwood and Aintree make widebeams, which they will supply in any stage from steel hull only to fully-fitted and ready to cruise away. For a 60' by 10' boat, Collingwood quote £100,000 and Aintree quote £110,000. The price difference may perhaps be an indication of the quality of the boat.

20 minutes ago, Lfpthomas said:

Thank you Athy! Are there any other independent builders? Looking to save money by not going to the top dogs but still want to know they're trusted

There probably are. But indies building one boat at a time will generally be more costly than a volume manufacturer.

Do you insist upon a brand new boat? If you wish to save money, buy second hand. There is a web site called "Apollo Duck Narrowboats" where many second-hand craft are advertised for sale; despite its name I think you'll find widebeams on there too. (But I'll check).

EDIT: I checked. They currently have 166 widebeams advertised. Have a look, get an idea of the style you'd like and of what you can get for your money. Do you have a fixed budget?

Edited by Athy

May I suggest you go back a step and decide what you want. If you want new (as indicated) you need to do a lot of research.

Presumably it's for living aboard? In which case you need adequate on-board systems. Heating, cooking, plumbing, electrics etc. etc. 

With each systems you have numerous alternatives. Take heating as an example: gas, diesel, solid fuel, or a combination? It is a broad topic with lots of choice and huge cost variation. 

Two builders could give you a quote for a similar boat with a £20k difference purely based on the quality of equipment (engine, appliances, C/H boilers etc.)

• Greenie 1

I'm sure there are some excellent boat builders in Oban or Ullapool, but they won't have built many narrowboats.  

The OP has made same the mistake as the Met Office in weather forecasts (see thread title). Those of us in NW England have great difficulty in distinguishing whether they mean NW England or NW UK. The last time I looked at a map, NW UK was Northern Ireland and the top left-hand chunk of Scotland. NW England is more or less in the middle - in fact slightly south of the middle.

4 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

I'm sure there are some excellent boat builders in Oban or Ullapool, but they won't have built many narrowboats.  

The OP has made same the mistake as the Met Office in weather forecasts (see thread title). Those of us in NW England have great difficulty in distinguishing whether they mean NW England or NW UK. The last time I looked at a map, NW UK was Northern Ireland and the top left-hand chunk of Scotland. NW England is more or less in the middle - in fact slightly south of the middle.

A terminological inexactitude perhaps, but the O.P. did mention Manchester and Liverpool, which I think made her meaning clear.

As for Brayzel Boats, as mentioned by Rgreg, yes, they have a good reputation - but as they have a full-time staff of four and build only three or for boats a year, those boats are unlikely to be at the cheap end of the market

1 hour ago, Lfpthomas said:

Thank you Athy! Are there any other independent builders? Looking to save money by not going to the top dogs but still want to know they're trusted

I think some would say these builders are lower midrange, the top dogs will cost a whole lot more. Boating is not cheap, widebeams are expensive, and as you have not even decided what boat you want I suspect you are not too familiar with boating so likely to make some very expensive mistakes. Buy a secondhand boat and use it to learn about boats.

.....................Dave

• Greenie 1

24 minutes ago, Athy said:

A terminological inexactitude perhaps, but the O.P. did mention Manchester and Liverpool, which I think made her meaning clear.

As for Brayzel Boats, as mentioned by Rgreg, yes, they have a good reputation - but as they have a full-time staff of four and build only three or for boats a year, those boats are unlikely to be at the cheap end of the market

Generally not, but it depends on what spec the OP wants. It's worth having a chat with them at least, to see what they can do for him within his budget.

9 minutes ago, rgreg said:

Generally not, but it depends on what spec the OP wants. It's worth having a chat with them at least, to see what they can do for him within his budget.

Yes, good advice.

(I think he's a she, by the way).

4 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

Yes, the "NW UK" bit only appeared in the thread title. I'm not sure it was a lie, though, perhaps a misnomer? 

I used the phrase in its literal sense, not as a Churchillian euphemism.

6 minutes ago, Pie Eater said:

Lymm Marina usually have some widebeams but I am not sure if they fit them out.

Good call. I look at their web site shows that they do a variety of stages, the most complete being "Lined extra" which is basically a fully working boat (engine, insulation, batteries, bathroom, central heating etc. fitted) but with no furniture or galley. 57 X 10 foot model £58,000.

2 hours ago, Athy said:

Good call. I look at their web site shows that they do a variety of stages, the most complete being "Lined extra" which is basically a fully working boat (engine, insulation, batteries, bathroom, central heating etc. fitted) but with no furniture or galley. 57 X 10 foot model £58,000.

Thats ideal for London, camp beds and live on Deliveroo, you could rent it out to 20 sandwich shop workers in the space available.

Elton Moss/Nantwich Boats - its quite NW if you are in the SE.(Jersey, Guernsey)