So how would I get on the electoral register

JJPHG

Featured Posts

Following on from another recent thread on a different forum and I've had a brief look through the search but in my situation how would I get onto the electoral register?

1.     Been overseas (Australia) for more than 15 years (well it will be by the time I get back sorted etc etc), so no longer on the UK electoral register 

2.     Have no UK address that I can use as one in 'which I have spent most time'

3.     Plan on CC'ing and will not have a 'home' mooring

It's not a show stopper for my plans and personally I'm not bothered if I can't vote, indeed I feel that the right not to vote is as important as being able to vote.  Over here its compulsory and all that happens is there is either a high number of spoilt papers or more dangerously marginal parties ascend to positions of power following disillusionment of the major political parties (can hear a can of worms opening there).

I've stubble across this form before but in section 9 you still have to put an address.  I won't have one.  I might phone them when I'm back over Christmas - out of interest, to see what they suggest.

I wonder if I'm going to come across the same issues registering as a resident for tax purposes - although I do have an NI number so maybe not

Not issues I'd worried about before and I'm sure there is a solution somewhere in the system - it's just a matter of finding them

• Greenie 1

That's the address for the local connection.  Depending on the individual council, they'll accept just about anything.  I've used a boatyard, a museum and a lock number in the past - including the hostname...

Edited by DaveP

4 hours ago, JJPHG said:

Following on from another recent thread on a different forum and I've had a brief look through the search but in my situation how would I get onto the electoral register?

1.     Been overseas (Australia) for more than 15 years (well it will be by the time I get back sorted etc etc), so no longer on the UK electoral register 

2.     Have no UK address that I can use as one in 'which I have spent most time'

3.     Plan on CC'ing and will not have a 'home' mooring

It's not a show stopper for my plans and personally I'm not bothered if I can't vote, indeed I feel that the right not to vote is as important as being able to vote.  Over here its compulsory and all that happens is there is either a high number of spoilt papers or more dangerously marginal parties ascend to positions of power following disillusionment of the major political parties (can hear a can of worms opening there).

Good post especialy the bit about the right not vote. We regularly hear people ramming down our throats that you should always vote blah blah blah etc etc. I asked my old mum just a couple of years ago,on her views and she said in her opinion of course, as someone who went as a n adult through the second world war that that dreadful time was about being free and allowing a choice. She is dead right, some countries Australia for one fine you if you don't fill the form in and that can't be right. I don't vote in general elections as they are all rubbish and all in it for themselves whatever party they are and it's made no difference to anything in my lifetime whoever has been in the job. Awaiting incoming.

13 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Good post especialy the bit about the right not vote. We regularly hear people ramming down our throats that you should always vote blah blah blah etc etc. I asked my old mum just a couple of years ago,on her views and she said in her opinion of course, as someone who went as a n adult through the second world war that that dreadful time was about being free and allowing a choice. She is dead right, some countries Australia for one fine you if you don't fill the form in and that can't be right. I don't vote in general elections as they are all rubbish and all in it for themselves whatever party they are and it's made no difference to anything in my lifetime whoever has been in the job. Awaiting incoming.

Its a tricky one. On one hand a positive decision to abstain in an election or referendum is a perfectly valid decision. On the other hand one hears people (not here, yet) say they can’t be arsed to vote yet still moan about ‘ the government’ and ‘the rich’.   This strikes me as hypocrisy. 

Wejust came back after 15 years opened a my gov account, and the rest followed. We need an ni number , and an address. A driving licence renewal ( yours will have lapsed) is the key. As foraddress if you are british first nights address , in our case where we were while filling in form did it. Subsiquent changed address to suit.

Recently done this for a British expat.

You may well have to pass a Habitual Residence Test before you can get anywhere.  you won't be able to rent at first, the local authorities will not house you.

A guest house or a friend's as an accommodation address first, but you must establish an address,

The Dept of Work & Pensions is your best starting point. Then HMRC.

Register with a library, doctor and a dentist. Driving licence and bus pass too if you are entitled. Get a Bank account, Nationwide are very helpful if you are just back. You have to establish that you are here for a long period, not transient.

See Gov.UK sites 

Edited by Boater Sam

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

it's made no difference to anything in my lifetime whoever has been in the job. 

A retired miner once said to me “When I was working I was always better off under a Tory government”. When I asked him if he therefore voted Tory he replied “Good God no, me father would turn in his grave!”

:)

31 minutes ago, WotEver said:

A retired miner once said to me “When I was working I was always better off under a Tory government”. When I asked him if he therefore voted Tory he replied “Good God no, me father would turn in his grave!”

? my dad was a staunch Union man and a shop steward at his works for near on 30 years. He always voted conservative. I voted once in 1979 but I lived in Castleford and if you put the photograph of a donkey's face on the wall there with labour candidate written under it they would vote for it so I never bothered again.

13 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Its a tricky one. On one hand a positive decision to abstain in an election or referendum is a perfectly valid decision. On the other hand one hears people (not here, yet) say they can’t be arsed to vote yet still moan about ‘ the government’ and ‘the rich’.   This strikes me as hypocrisy. 

Perhaps on the voting paper ''none of the above'' should be an option.

11 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

? my dad was a staunch Union man and a shop steward at his works for near on 30 years. He always voted conservative. I voted once in 1979 but I lived in Castleford and if you put the photograph of a donkey's face on the wall there with labour candidate written under it they would vote for it so I never bothered again.

Just the same up here except it would be Tory.

4 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Perhaps on the voting paper ''none of the above'' should be an option.

Have you sen the film "Brewster's Millions"?

Edited by Jerra
  • Greenie 1

14 hours ago, WotEver said:

Retired before 1984?

• Greenie 1

On 24/09/2018 at 10:52, mrsmelly said:

My mother’s version of your comment was” stick a red rosette on a donkey’s ar** and they’d vote for it!