Crick Show May 2019

umpire111

Featured Posts

local knowledge please- want to go to the show. Will be taking my narrowboat and was hoping to stay at Yelvertoft Marina for 2 nights but are fully booked. Is there anywhere south of the Norton Junction on the Grand Union (thats the way we are heading to London) where I can leave the boat for the day, and get transport (bus?) to Crick for the show or even a taxi just for the day? have a dog to complicate matters.. Dont think there is anywhere on the GU between Norton and Crick where I could stop and get transport?

Edited by umpire111

Stop in or near Rugby / Hillmorton and get the No 96 bus towards Northampton. It drops you off right outside the garden centre / Marina.

I did this trip after getting off the train in Rugby and it was £2.60 for me and 70p for the dog.

Edited by Liam

1 hour ago, Liam said:

Stop in or near Rugby / Hillmorton and get the No 96 bus towards Northampton. It drops you off right outside the garden centre / Marina.

I did this trip after getting off the train in Rugby and it was £2.60 for me and 70p for the dog.

Think that’s in wrong direction as I tend to go to Norton junction but thanks

1 hour ago, Phil. said:

You can moor on the towpath by Yelvertoft Marina, and the walk to Crick over Cracks Hill is quite pleasant, and fairly easy going. Would take no more than 20/30 minutes walking at an easy pace.

Concerned @bout the availability of moorings, what do you think?

42 minutes ago, umpire111 said:

Between the Marina and bridge 21/22 there is loads of mooring space, you should have no trouble at all. Obviously the further from the Marina you moor the longer the walk, but it's all good if reasonably fit.

On 23/09/2018 at 21:35, umpire111 said:

We moored outside Yelvertoft one year. We were on our own. We've also moored just by the winding hole at Cracks Hill but we got there a week early.  I think the advice about the southern end of Crick tunnel is probably sound.

Or you could pay to moor in the Crick area.

On 23/09/2018 at 22:36, matty40s said:

Moor just the other side of Crick tunnel, lovely countryside and away from the madding crowds once you get back to the boat.

want to walk to the show and not sure of the path over the tunnel, I dont thinks iits a straight forward route.

20 hours ago, Alway Swilby said:

We moored outside Yelvertoft one year. We were on our own. We've also moored just by the winding hole at Cracks Hill but we got there a week early.  I think the advice about the southern end of Crick tunnel is probably sound.

Or you could pay to moor in the Crick area.

were you on your own for the whole of the show? we want to arrive on the Wed or Thursday and leave Saturday

6 minutes ago, umpire111 said:

want to walk to the show and not sure of the path over the tunnel, I dont thinks iits a straight forward route.

were you on your own for the whole of the show? we want to arrive on the Wed or Thursday and leave Saturday

Heading north, up onto and across the bridge before the tunnel and turn left onto the Watford Road. Keep along the length of the Watford Road until you see the Wheatsheaf pub in front of you in Crick village and turn right up Main Road. There'll be show directions from there. Past the Post Office and over the canal and the marina is on your left.

There is a short cut along Boat Horse Lane and Lauds road but it's not that shorter and more difficult to describe and follow.

• Greenie 1

57 minutes ago, umpire111 said:

There may have been one other turn up on the Saturday but there was plenty of room.

But if you're coming from Norton Junction I would agree with Matty re the loveliness of the moorings south of the tunnel opposite the sheep. I suspect it's a similar distance walk although the walk from Yelvertoft doesn't go along any roads. It's a nice walk along a well defined footpath over Cracks Hill.

2 hours ago, Alway Swilby said:

There may have been one other turn up on the Saturday but there was plenty of room.

But if you're coming from Norton Junction I would agree with Matty re the loveliness of the moorings south of the tunnel opposite the sheep. I suspect it's a similar distance walk although the walk from Yelvertoft doesn't go along any roads. It's a nice walk along a well defined footpath over Cracks Hill.

Did it the other day, a very nice walk if you dodge all the sheep poo ?

8 hours ago, Detling said:

Are you sure ? just a bit of a day.  The show is Saturday, Sunday and Monday.

You’re right, intend to leave Sunday 

12 hours ago, Liam said:

Heading north, up onto and across the bridge before the tunnel and turn left onto the Watford Road. Keep along the length of the Watford Road until you see the Wheatsheaf pub in front of you in Crick village and turn right up Main Road. There'll be show directions from there. Past the Post Office and over the canal and the marina is on your left.

There is a short cut along Boat Horse Lane and Lauds road but it's not that shorter and more difficult to describe and follow.

Do u know if there’s a footpath on Watford road? Intend to walk back probably in dark with dog?

There's a pavement and then wide grass verge to the farm where the main road bends to meet the A5, from there its a very quiet lane ( gated road ) that only gets about 5 cars a day using it.

It was my secret getaway road when managing Watford gap services and the motorway was shut or ststionary for some reason or other.

8 hours ago, matty40s said:

There's a pavement and then wide grass verge to the farm where the main road bends to meet the A5, from there its a very quiet lane ( gated road ) that only gets about 5 cars a day using it.

It was my secret getaway road when managing Watford gap services and the motorway was shut or ststionary for some reason or other.

that makes up my mind, many thanks, assume I will have to go thru the tunnel to turn round to go south?

38 minutes ago, matty40s said:

There is a winding hole ( or 2 fairly close together ) before the Watford flight , depends on how you like reversing!! Traffic will be busy on the Saturday so why not do the tunnel and turn bit early week when you get there.

What I plan to do is......will be travelling north so will wind just before the tunnel then moor up facing south. Show and then sail off going south, think I can wind just at south portal of the tunnel?

• 3 months later...

Sorry to hijack the thread, I am planning on cruising (slowly!) through the Crick area while the show is in progress. I am hoping that this is possible, and that all the visiting boats will be on their moorings, so the queue at Foxton should not be too bad (ie I will get there before them). Is that right or am I deluding myself?

I will be setting off from Braunston, when might be the best day to do this? Saturday morning? Friday lunchtime?

Many thanks

1 hour ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

Sorry to hijack the thread, I am planning on cruising (slowly!) through the Crick area while the show is in progress. I am hoping that this is possible, and that all the visiting boats will be on their moorings, so the queue at Foxton should not be too bad (ie I will get there before them). Is that right or am I deluding myself?

I will be setting off from Braunston, when might be the best day to do this? Saturday morning? Friday lunchtime?

Many thanks

Last year boats with booked moorings were arriving late but there was always space to slowly cruise through.

I was told, by a staff member at Crick marina, that this year's show would be extended to 4 days.I  haven't checked this though.

6 hours ago, frahkn said:

that this year's show would be extended to 4 days.I  haven't checked this though.

Oh I do hope not. When they extended it for the Jubilee weekend, total footfall went up very little, it just spread out over the extra day, so we all did an extra day’s weary work to no great purpose.

7 hours ago, frahkn said:

Last year boats with booked moorings were arriving late but there was always space to slowly cruise through.

I was told, by a staff member at Crick marina, that this year's show would be extended to 4 days.I  haven't checked this though.

Thanks very much, that's what I had hoped. The website says the show is on Saturday to Monday inclusive plus a trade/preview day on Friday. Not sure if that is 3 or 4, as far as BruceinSanity is concerned....

5 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

Thanks very much, that's what I had hoped. The website says the show is on Saturday to Monday inclusive plus a trade/preview day on Friday. Not sure if that is 3 or 4, as far as BruceinSanity is concerned....

At least that’s better than the Tuesday. A preview day will attract mainly serious potential customers plus the press, rather than the plethora of fender kickers we endured on the Jubilee Tuesday. The usual pattern in my experience is serious customers on the Saturday, a mix on the Sunday and more families on a day out on the Monday. This means that on that last day, when you are losing the power of speech and possibly the will to live, you can tailor the chat to match the level of interest and knowledge of the viewer.

Don‘t get me wrong, they’ve all paid good money to come in and part of the deal is looking round the boats, so fair enough, but it’s hard graft showing a procession of folk through the boat at 10 minutes intervals for six hours or so. My favourite quote from a Monday was the woman who pointed to the closed, unglazed side hatch doors and commented “what a handy place to put a cupboard”...

All being well, we’ll be there on the Braidbar stand this year, so look forward to meeting some forumites ?.