Anti vandal keys

Chezzonmark

Featured Posts

Just now, jonesthenuke said:

We used the lock and I did not use an anti vandal key. I assume there are no locks fitted, I do not remember seeing any locks.

There certainly was last time I was through as I had to loan my key to somebody to unlock it.  That was a year to 18 months ago.

1 minute ago, Jerra said:

There certainly was last time I was through as I had to loan my key to somebody to unlock it.  That was a year to 18 months ago.

Same here, I was moored on the Etruria moorings and a chap came over asking if I could undo the locks as he was in the lock but didn't have a key to unlock the top paddles.

Etruria is the only one at the moment. Trentham used to have one, but not for a few years now. OTOH, anti vandal keys are not expensive and widely available and it’s barmy not to have a couple on board, IMHO. The locks can pop up anywhere without warning if there’s a burst of trouble at a particular site.

11 hours ago, JamesWoolcock said:

And all of the Leeds & Liverpool where there are some newly made chain type locks that are machined too tight for most keys! Hopeless.....

We must have been luck there. The only problem we had was on the Tarlton bit where the boater ahead must have been a weight lifter, Had to use pliers on the key to undo a couple and not because the threads were tight

11 hours ago, BruceinSanity said:

Etruria is the only one at the moment. Trentham used to have one, but not for a few years now. OTOH, anti vandal keys are not expensive and widely available and it’s barmy not to have a couple on board, IMHO. The locks can pop up anywhere without warning if there’s a burst of trouble at a particular site.

I am glad you posted that about Trentham because I was pondering adding that as I thought that I recalled that sometime in the past I had found one there. At least my memory was not entirely faulty!

BTW, smallish devices such as a handcuff key are all too easy to lose when working a lock. For some time now, the first thing I have done with a new one is to drill a hole thriough the main shank near the cross piece so that I can fit it to a key ring (needs quite a large one). A bit of a faff but worth it and the Watermate key can also join it, along with an EA Abloy or a Middle Level key if that is part of your history! For me, at least two, better three, sets at least of the handcuff and Watermate, are advisable.