Drive line clatter?!

j04n

Featured Posts

13 minutes ago, j04n said:

it's coming out the water next year for blackening so will have a look then........ although was hoping to get some quieter cruising in before then! 

You could go down the weed box and grasp hold of the prop and try to pull it up, down and sideways, better stil if disconnected from the nylon coupling, though just remove the shafts half coupling bolts and try and keep the shaft in the same as the running position and yank that end up, down and sideways too.  Whilst down the box check that the props boss is not touching or too close to the outer tube collar as that can could clonk when in fore gear.

Edited by bizzard

thanks. i did give it a good rive around when I was realigning the engine and had it disconnected and it seemed solid. i could also pull the two ends almost together when the flexible coupling was removed. although i was wasn't very systematic. Will probably be worth going through it all again but in a more systematic approach. thought I'd sorted it when I found that the engine was out of alignment, not massively but out nevertheless but unfortunately not. 

12 minutes ago, j04n said:

thanks. i did give it a good rive around when I was realigning the engine and had it disconnected and it seemed solid. i could also pull the two ends almost together when the flexible coupling was removed. although i was wasn't very systematic. Will probably be worth going through it all again but in a more systematic approach. thought I'd sorted it when I found that the engine was out of alignment, not massively but out nevertheless but unfortunately not. 

The nylon coupling coupling was probably fittedv at a later date..   In your first photo check the two nuts and bolts holding the tube stuffing box to the cross plate, the two by the tape measure reel, though they look tight. I can't see properlt.

• 1 year later...

Problem solved! I fitted some 15mm spacers under the engine mounts in order to minimise engine movement and vibration but actually the main problem was the weed hatch anti cavitation plate. The handle was 10mm short of the weed hatch cover plate so it was impossible to tighten it down!! I did find the problem 2 years ago but forgot to feedback in case it is of any help for anybody having a similar problem. She sounds soooooo sweet now. :) Unlike the bag of spanners before. The original owner must have put up with it for 7 years from new!!  

1 hour ago, j04n said:

Problem solved! I fitted some 15mm spacers under the engine mounts in order to minimise engine movement and vibration but actually the main problem was the weed hatch anti cavitation plate. The handle was 10mm short of the weed hatch cover plate so it was impossible to tighten it down!! I did find the problem 2 years ago but forgot to feedback in case it is of any help for anybody having a similar problem. She sounds soooooo sweet now. :) Unlike the bag of spanners before. The original owner must have put up with it for 7 years from new!!  

Great :)

It’s only taken you 20 months... you should work at a boat yard ;)

• Happy 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, j04n said:

Did the weed hatch leak if you couldn't tighten it down

9 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Did the weed hatch leak if you couldn't tighten it down

No, the weed hatch could be tightened down onto the surround ok. The anti cavitation plate was rattling around because the handle was not tight to the underside of the weed hatch cover due to being 10mm too short. 

3 hours ago, WotEver said:

Great :)

It’s only taken you 20 months... you should work at a boat yard ;)

? sorry, been working in Hungary for 2 years so a little out of touch! ?

On my last boat I had a really irritating metallic rattle.  After checking all the alignments and everything else I could think of I eventually took it in to the local boatyard.  Their man came out ,lifted the deck boards and listened carefully for a couple of minutes.  He then put his foot on a large piece of iron that was alongside the engine bearer being used as ballast.

You can guess the rest ....

• Happy 1
  • Haha 2