Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
JCO

What is it?

Featured Posts

Good morning all,

I came across this boat on my travels the other day. I'm interested to know more about it - there was no one around to ask when I took the pictures. Can any forum member help.

Thanks

JCO

20180616_154823.jpg

20180616_154756.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its a submarine - took the wrong turn after coming up the Humber and ended up on the canal.

 

He thought it may save time not having to open swing / lift bridges, just dive -dive-dive. but didn't realise that the water is only 3 feet deep.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some years ago (1970s?) the Royal Navy had a number of miniature warships constructed, in connection with a recruiting drive I think. Perhaps this is one of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Athy said:

Some years ago (1970s?) the Royal Navy had a number of miniature warships constructed, in connection with a recruiting drive I think. Perhaps this is one of them.

It appears to be of a much better standard that the narrowboat conversions seen in the past.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Athy said:

Some years ago (1970s?) the Royal Navy had a number of miniature warships constructed, in connection with a recruiting drive I think. Perhaps this is one of them.

 

RN%20Fleet[1].jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've found a photo (on an old CWDF thread) of the Royal Navy's miniature warships, which were built by Pinder's. They did include a sub but it's not this one.

EDIT: well, shiver me timbers! That's the photo to which I was referring. Thanks, Ray.

Edited by Athy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll reguirgitate this: 

 

See the source image
 
I like this meaning: 
    1. repeat (information) without analysing or comprehending it.
      "facts which can then be regurgitated at examinations
Edited by Ray T

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Athy said:

I've found a photo (on an old CWDF thread) of the Royal Navy's miniature warships, which were built by Pinder's. They did include a sub but it's not this one.

EDIT: well, shiver me timbers! That's the photo to which I was referring. Thanks, Ray.

I have worked on the RN 'submarine' boat. It looks nothing like that now, only the nose with the little handrail give it away

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In response to Messrs Athy’s and Ray T’s posts, that was my first thought when I saw the boat. I remember sharing locks with the Navy’s boats on the way up the Trent in 1976 (I think) to the National Rally of Boats in Nottingham. The four boats cruised as fairly bog-standard narrowboats (tiller-steered) and only when in exhibition mode had bits of naval superstructure added on. The boat in my picture looks wider than 7” beam as well.

JCO.

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Meanwhile - is it an adapted oil rig rescue pod?

It's very cylindrical on the main hull - I'd be fascinated to see this out of the water.

 

It looks a bit like a converted agricultural silo to me, or possibly a bulk liquids tanker body.  If they didn't ballast it very heavily it probably wallows like a pig, but it might have a serious keel on it.

 

I think I like it, but then I like all sorts of odd boats.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

It's very cylindrical on the main hull - I'd be fascinated to see this out of the water.

 

It looks a bit like a converted agricultural silo to me, or possibly a bulk liquids tanker body.  If they didn't ballast it very heavily it probably wallows like a pig, but it might have a serious keel on it.

 

I think I like it, but then I like all sorts of odd boats.

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=191&t=1632552

 

A 2016 post on pistonheads says it was made out of an old propane tank, so I was on the right track. 

 

Apparently it is seaworthy and has underwater portholes too!

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JCO said:

Good research - thanks for that.

And thank you for the pictures - I hadn't seen that one before.

2 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

No, that's a different one - @Ray T added a pic of that one in post #9.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JCO said:

Good morning all,

I came across this boat on my travels the other day. I'm interested to know more about it - there was no one around to ask when I took the pictures. Can any forum member help.

Thanks

JCO

20180616_154823.jpg

20180616_154756.jpg

As you know the picture was taken in Beverley Beck. I understand it was built a few years ago, I think using an redundant boiler or tank, and fitted out in the River Hull in Beverley at the old shipyard site. It has been around the area for a number of years and may have moved into the Beck because there is a lot of work going on in the river Hull to get rid of some of the old wrecks moored between the Beck and the shipyard. It is not one of the old RN fleet of inland waterway craft and not a bit like the other sub which spent some time in Leeds Clarence Dock.

 

I should have been at the Beck today to help out at the International Barge pulling championships but sadly they have been cancelled because of strong winds and rain.

 

image.png.3cb45ea3cb9b98098723a7c303752746.png

This is the Barge Syntan which features in the Barge Pulling Championships, shown on her usual berth on Beverley Beck

 

Howard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Howard,

Thanks for the detail. I have vague memories of it being seen and discussed elsewhere but it was the the first time I’d seen it in real life on a recent visit to Grovehill lock. As others have commented, I expect it’s a pig to steer but it’s an interesting piece of kit nevertheless.

It is a shame about the cancellation of the barge-pulling contest, especially as the weather seems to have improved. Are there any plans to reschedule it? (Good picture of Syntan in natural habitat by the way)

 

JCO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, JCO said:

Howard,

Thanks for the detail. I have vague memories of it being seen and discussed elsewhere but it was the the first time I’d seen it in real life on a recent visit to Grovehill lock. As others have commented, I expect it’s a pig to steer but it’s an interesting piece of kit nevertheless.

It is a shame about the cancellation of the barge-pulling contest, especially as the weather seems to have improved. Are there any plans to reschedule it? (Good picture of Syntan in natural habitat by the way)

 

JCO

 The organisers of the event - Beverley Barge Preservation Society- will be announcing something very soon but it may be too late this year to reschedule. It’s a great shame because it has grown in popularity each year. 

 

I remember a boat visiting Hull Marina in the 1990’s which was not unlike that one but shaped more to represent a bottle of Scotch. The owner, an ex SAS man, was going to take it across to

the States under power but I am not sure whether it eventually made it.

 

Howard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, howardang said:

 The organisers of the event - Beverley Barge Preservation Society- will be announcing something very soon but it may be too late this year to reschedule. It’s a great shame because it has grown in popularity each year. 

 

I remember a boat visiting Hull Marina in the 1990’s which was not unlike that one but shaped more to represent a bottle of Scotch. The owner, an ex SAS man, was going to take it across to

the States under power but I am not sure whether it eventually made it.

 

Howard

That was probably Tom McClean in his Typhoo Atlantic Challenger - built by Springer Engineering.

 

Yes he made it, but the other way - New York to Falmouth.

 

liberty.jpg

Sauce_Bottle_-_geograph.org.uk_-_13422.j

 

His crazy boat is Moby: https://www.mby.com/news/whale-boat-carbon-neutral-atlantic-crossing-51826

 

Moby-1024x650.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

That was probably Tom McClean in his Typhoo Atlantic Challenger - built by Springer Engineering.

 

Yes he made it, but the other way - New York to Falmouth.

 

liberty.jpg

Sauce_Bottle_-_geograph.org.uk_-_13422.j

 

His crazy boat is Moby: https://www.mby.com/news/whale-boat-carbon-neutral-atlantic-crossing-51826

 

Moby-1024x650.jpg

 

Thats the one. It was very spartan inside but he was very bullish. I also remember seeing the whale when cruising past his house in  a remote Loch in Scotland. He seems to have a slanted idea of what makes a suitable boat!

 

Howard

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.