Living on Narrowboats in London

Buzyizzy

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

You're absolutely right, but in general usage a distance 293km would often be shortened further to 293k and 293 thousand pounds would also often be shortened to 293k. There's no speed limit that high as far as I'm aware, but a 50km speed limit would often be stated as a 50k limit.  All not strictly correct, but in common use.

Lower case k does officially mean kilo tho, a speed limit as 50km is still wrong.

Edited by Robbo

9 minutes ago, Robbo said:

Never seen anyone write distance or cost with just "K" tho only when people say it like I ran 10k.   I could also add computer stuff, but it was more popular saying in the 80's n 90's.

Er, are you not contradicting yourself?

I was actually thinking of numbers, such as "The population of Bloggsville is 45k". But your example is equally valid.

3 minutes ago, Robbo said:

In my world case means a lot as there is a big difference between MB and Mb, can never remember which is bytes or bits tho. ? 

Oh, you're not wrong! Fully agree when these units are being used in their proper context. :)

BTW, remember Bytes are bigger than bits. MB - Megabyte; Mb - Megabit. They do get mangled a bit though!

9 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

BTW, remember Bytes are bigger than bits. MB - Megabyte; Mb - Megabit. They do get mangled a bit though!

Its how I do.    Same as how I remember Port n Starboard for colours and side :), shame I don't know ma left from right tho. ? 

Edited by Robbo

On 26/09/2018 at 17:38, Athy said:

Thousands.

No, that’s k not K. 

On 26/09/2018 at 18:29, Robbo said:

Its how I do.    Same as how I remember Port n Starboard for colours and side :), shame I don't know ma left from right tho. ? 

Port wine is red. That’s how I remember it. 

7 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

No RED PORT LEFT in the bottle

No Red Port Left in the Can is better. Port buoys are topped with a Can/Cylinder shape and starboard buoys with a cone so colour-blind blokes can still work out where the hell they are.

Tam

1 minute ago, Tam & Di said:

No Red Port Left in the Can is better. Port buoys are topped with a Can/Cylinder shape and starboard buoys with a cone so colour-blind blokes can still work out where the hell they are.

Tam

I'd never drink port out of a can - but - yes, good aide memoir.

But what about the 'rest of the world' (America and its 'dominions'  and areas of influence - Phillipines etc) where the buoyage is the other way around ?

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But what about the 'rest of the world' (America and its 'dominions'  and areas of influence - Phillipines etc) where the buoyage is the other way around ?

They just have to go everywhere in reverse, then they'd be OK      :captain: