Living on Narrowboats in London

Buzyizzy

Featured Posts

54 minutes ago, Buzyizzy said:

It seems to me that there are quite a few people who have issues with a newbie.

No... it was just light hearted banter. Please don’t take any of what was said seriously. The three legged dog even put in a wink and a smile to show he wasn’t serious :)

6 minutes ago, WotEver said:

No... it was just light hearted banter. Please don’t take any of what was said seriously. The three legged dog even put in a wink and a smile to show he wasn’t serious :)

No it wasn't as you well know. It was taking the p**s and it's indemic on this forum perpertrated by people who THINK they know everything about boating and the canals and directed towards news boaters.

3 minutes ago, MJG said:

I read nothing but a bit of banter, some good advice and a newbie who has taken a bit of umbridge at not being told 'just do it, it will be problem free',

Par for the course.

You missed post 28 then? Intended to do nothing but stir up conflict, in my opinion. 

24 minutes ago, pete.i said:

No it wasn't 

Yes it was. 

Is this the 5 minute argument or the full half hour?

Oooh... what’s happened to the post numbers? 27, 28, 38, 30, 26, 27...

Edited by WotEver

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

You missed post 28 then? Intended to do nothing but stir up conflict, in my opinion. 

That was who I was responding to, I just omitted to quote it and Sr nibble nipped in between.

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I read that as a member expressing his point of view, with which other members are free to agree or disagree. For "stir up conflict" read "encourage debate", they can be synonymous.

I agree with everyone.

Problem is that every week someone posts on here about buying a boat to live in London, and many of them think its all going to be easy peasy, after all, so many other have done the same recently.

Someone gets on here , asks for advice, which is better than jumping in , but then it turns out they may be completely the "wrong type", and are destined for disaster, but they won't listen, then they argue they know better, so manage to annoy the long standing forum members. 

So, while some forum members grab the popcorn, others grasp the bull by the horns, and others stutter and gasp in a fury of mixed metaphors.

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 3

4 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Welcome to the Forum Izzy.

The problem you are faced with asking that question on this forum is that the peeps who will answer you, see questions like this all the time from people who know very little about canal or river life in London. It seems like there are a couple of threads a week from peeps who want to give up their houses and live on a boat, near London (ie rarely anywhere else). Once we dig down to try and find out what they want so we can formulate better answers, we find they know very little about their end target and most disappear,never to be heard of again, because living on a canal boat in London is challenging and not cheap. Indeed living on a canal boat is challenging and not cheap outside of London, but London brings significantly more problems.

If you persevere here, you will get good answers to most questions, usually within minutes of posting. Just learn to ride the banter that goes with it.

There is another active thread at the moment asking a very similar question. Be worth having a look at that as well.

In addition, the questions seeking more information in order to give better answers are sometimes interpreted as hostility, which most of the time is incorrect. Penetrating questions can however make people who have not thought about their plan in any depth, feel rather 'got at'. This is not intended. 

• Greenie 4

On 23/09/2018 at 14:29, Buzyizzy said:

It seems to me that there are quite a few people who have issues with a newbie. I’m so glad that I am such a lovely, supportive person who wouldn’t dream of leaving such remarks on any board. 

And these are people who know nothing about me. Please don’t pretend to know the type of person I am, or to judge, because I absolutely guarantee you will be so far off, you’ll be on another continent. I know where I want to be, the life I want and with whom I wish to share it. 

Much as I hate to say this, but this is a very male dominated forum and the fact that you're a woman doesn't help.  Most of them don't mean it (and probable aren't even aware they're doing it) but there's a lot of subtle talking down to women on here, mostly from the old timers.  On one hand a new female member can expect a lot of help (which is good), but that same help can often tip over into being patronising / mansplaining.

Now excuse me while I don my suit of armour and await the incoming...

• Greenie 2

7 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Much as I hate to say this, but this is a very male dominated forum and the fact that you're a woman doesn't help.  Most of them don't mean it (and probable aren't even aware they're doing it) but there's a lot of subtle talking down to women on here, mostly from the old timers.  On one hand a new female member can expect a lot of help (which is good), but that same help can often tip over into being patronising / mansplaining.

Now excuse me while I don my suit of armour and await the incoming...

Go sister. 

Bunch of male chauvinist pigs...... Spit spit spit! 

Not talking down . If you wish to try this lifestyle do. Some like it. Personally i wouldnt but i hate all cities. Thing is if you dont like it just leave its a boat.. one of our  new boat friends once declined to come away for a coule of days because she had to stay and paint. Wepointed out she could move 2 hrsand then paint..she had no mooring and was retired.. eventualy she had that lightbulb moment  living on a boat not on one bit of bank

It's not surprising that most contributors are male, since a lot more men are interested in, and have a lot of experience of things like old engines, grease nipples, failing batteries, and the like, than women. It does not mean that they are all chauvinistic.

Anyone responding to a newby poster wanting to live on a boat in London has to make certain assumptions as to what level to pitch their response, that may be seen as patronising / mansplaining, but it is better that folks point out the potential pitfalls than innocent folks buy in to the lifestyle and then discover the costs and difficulties, both upfront and ongoing.

chauvinistic
ʃəʊv(ɪ)ˈnɪstɪk/
adjective

1. feeling or displaying aggressive or exaggerated patriotism.
    • displaying excessive or prejudiced support for their own cause, group, or sex.

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

3 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

That's just by count of posts and all of them have been on the forum for more of a decade so not doesn't show if the forum is male dominated currently.    The female listed makes more posts per year than any of other 24 listed even tho she's only 7th top poster overall.