Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Tom766

Transfer my boat from Middle level to Reading anyone?

Featured Posts

Hi all.  A buyer is asking if I could arrange someone to sail my 30' springer out of the Fens down to Taversham & Kennett Marina, nr Reading.

 

I'd love the adventure but work.  Any retiree's help him out ?  He's obviously willing to cover expenses etc...

 

Thanks all...….Tom. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Better get your skates on - the 'important' bits of the non-tidal Thames are closed from the end of October. (Lock repairs)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/09/2018 at 14:31, TheBiscuits said:

@Peter X Any good for you?

Probably not. If it's the owner plus myself it's the sort of trip I like to do, but the timing is a problem for me.

 

I'm busy boating most of the time up to 20th October, and have a commitment on 27th Oct too, which doesn't leave much time before the winter stoppages which tend to happen after 1st Nov each year. I haven't checked what stoppages there may be on the canal parts, but once up the Northampton Arm there are two ways of getting round to Reading, i.e. via Brentford or via Braunston & Oxford. The latter is a lot less locks and miles. And if the buyer is prepared to move in stages, maybe putting the boat into a marina somewhere for a while to wait, it's often possible to find a way to get somewhere by planning around stoppages. However, as there are locks on the Thames scheduled to be closed for months from 29th October (both above and below Reading) you'll have to get started fairly soon and do it without me to beat that deadline. For example March to Gayton would need about 5 or 6 days of 7 hours, and Gayton to Reading via the south Oxford another 7 days.

 

I've done a trip before from March up the River Nene, and feel competent for it if the river has normal water levels and the boat's OK. As br4k3s says, you have to check the state of a river, but a quick search just now suggests to me it's fine at present.

 

What sort of timetable is the buyer thinking of for the trip, in the light of the above? If leaving it until the spring, I might be able to do the whole trip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.