A Tale of Several TVs, well DVDs actually

pearley

Featured Posts

We’ve never bothered with TV on the boat, we watch DVDs on the laptop or use copies of the DVD or a TV programme made at home and transferred onto a USB stick. Sometimes you have to copy the file off the stick onto the desktop of the laptop to get smooth replay.

DVD drives do give up on a laptop sometimes, but external drives aren’t expensive.

16 hours ago, pearley said:

We do have an inverter but don't really want to go down one end of the boat to switch if on the next remember to switch it off again before going to bed. 

I understand that and it's what we did for years but for the last ten years we have simply left inverter on. The use when not powering anything is so tiny as to not make any difference and we absolutely never switch ours off as it enables the use throughout of better, cheaper should I say much cheaper equipment and equipment choice.

I think the OP may just have been unlucky.

We've got a Cello, connected via an HDMI lead to a computer.   This gives us good TV on most channels via 3 GoBinge and all the Netflix we need.  

Sometimes we watch boxed sets dating from pre-Netflix days and these seem to work perfectly well on the inbuilt Cello DVD.

eta.  The Cello sound was a bit poor until I had my hearing tested and found I needed a hearing aid :)

Edited by koukouvagia

19 hours ago, Athy said:

Do be aware that if you buy from JL, if it does go wrong and if the do replace it, the replacement will not have a 5-year warranty. We found this out recently when a Roberts radio went on the blink three weeks before the end of its 2-year warranty period. They replaced it, but the new one was guaranteed for only those three weeks.

Does anybody offer extended warranties where the clock gets reset if an item is replaced?  I would rather doubt it.

John Lewis is far better than what you may end up with the like of Argos.  If they replace under some of their extended warranties, it is worded in that the warranty then terminates.  You can buy a new warranty for the replaced product, but obviously you will have to pay again, and quite possibly more than you did in the first place.

Most extended warranties are very poor value.  John Lewis  must consider it is still a good business decision to provide it for free on some electrical products, so it makes you realise how much some companies are coining it on the revenue they get from the paid for ones.

(Unless, as Martin has said, this is part of the reason John Lewis are in trouble!).