A Tale of Several TVs, well DVDs actually

pearley

Featured Posts

We don't watch broadcast TV as I can't be arsed to setup the aerial every time we stop, So we only watch DVDs, a sort of permanent UK Gold. 

We started off 11 years ago with a 12 volt TV from Sainsburys using the Dvd player that was built in to our JVC car stereo which also fed the sound throughout the boat. Perfectly OK but used quite a bit of power so after 3 years we found a nice JVC 240/12volt unit with built-in Dvd from Curry's. This served us well but used more power than modern units and we fancied a bigger screen.

So we bought in 2014 a Cello from ebay and delivered to Argos. The sound quality was awful so bought a couple of USB powered speakers to connect to it. Except the power consumption now increased and we had 2 speakers to find space for. So we returned it and bought a Finlux. Good sound, low power consumption but would often require the disc to be inserted several times before it accepted it. So that was replaced after a few days. 

This one seemed to be ok but as it got to a year old the Dvd started to do the same rejection thing and was repaired under warranty. The repair wasn't very satisfactory so, thinking that Cello should have improved over that time, bought another one. This one still had poor sound quality, the sound a picture were out of sync and it had a pixel out. So back to Finlux who offered us a new one at a discounted price. 

This one has lasted 2 years with occasional same rejection problems until a couple of weeks ago when the player made some horrible noises. So bought a German made or designed Reflexion. Unfortunately no sound at all from this, even after I managed to change all the menus from German to English so if was returned for a refund and we got another Finlux, this time a later model though it looks identical and it still won't play DVDs properly, all though this one puts a message on screen telling me I've put it the wrong way round, or it's incompatible or it's faulty. So this one will go back. 

So what recommendations for a 22 inch TV/Dvd with reasonable sound quality without resorting to  sound bar, low power consumption and that can be delivered to an Amazon box, ebay/argos or collect from a local store. 

The closed environment on a boat is often quite hostile to DVD players, especially if you have a multi fuel stove.

We went through two in five years on the Dog House.

Avtex 12v tvs have a good reputation amongst caravanners and motorhomes but will probably suffer the same fate on a boat.

Edited by MJG

4 minutes ago, pearley said:

So what recommendations for a 22 inch TV/Dvd with reasonable sound quality without resorting to  sound bar, low power consumption and ...

Have you thought about asking 1995? :D

Seriously, things have move on.  There are lots of options, but a common or garden mobile phone will stream perfectly happily to a decent TV and you can download plenty of stuff to have for those occasions when you don't have a signal.  

38 minutes ago, MJG said:

The closed environment on a boat is often quite hostile to DVD players, especially if you have a multi fuel stove.

We went through two in five years on the Dog House.

Avtex 12v tvs have a good reputation amongst caravanners and motorhomes but will probably suffer the same fate on a boat.

Have been looking at Avtex. John Lewis offer it with 5 year warranty so could be an option. 

Get a normal 240v tv and run it off the inverter.......we just got a 30" samsung A+ energy rated that we can smart view stream. Its LED,  cost us a few hundred and draws very little in the way of power during the time we watch it. Were not big tv watchers but do like a bit of netflix of an evening. 

I know its less efficient through an inverter and all that malarky but will tye consumption really be that much more? As for sound the bigger the tv normaly the sound improves due to physical space

5 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

Get a normal 240v tv and run it off the inverter.......we just got a 30" samsung A+ energy rated that we can smart view stream. Its LED,  cost us a few hundred and draws very little in the way of power during the time we watch it. Were not big tv watchers but do like a bit of netflix of an evening. 

I know its less efficient through an inverter and all that malarky but will tye consumption really be that much more? As for sound the bigger the tv normaly the sound improves due to physical space

Sounds like the op doesn't have an inverter? My mains tv uses about the same as my 12 volt tv did. The difference in consumption isn't worth thinking about and it's always mains for us.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Sounds like the op doesn't have an inverter? My mains tv uses about the same as my 12 volt tv did. The difference in consumption isn't worth thinking about and it's always mains for us.

Yes silly me....presumption was my downfall apologies if you dont have an inverter ☺

The other thing to remember is some 240v tv's are in reality 12v anyway and the voltage is often stepped down to 12v using a 'power brick'.

It's often poss to feed them direct with 12v using the correct lead but using a voltage stabiliser on a boat is recommended if doing this.

Obviously carefully check the input spec. before undertaking this. And I think it's less common than it used to be.

Edited by MJG

13 minutes ago, MJG said:

The other thing to remember is some 240v tv's are in reality 12v anyway and the voltage is often stepped down to 12v using a 'power brick'.

It's often poss to feed them direct with 12v using the correct lead but using a voltage stabiliser on a boat is recommended if doing this.

Obviously carefully check the input spec. before undertaking this. And I think it's less common than it used to be.

Over the years we have tried a number of TV's - some with combined DVD and some not. On our shared boat, we presently have a Cello TV which cost less than £200 and  delivers Freesat through a self seeking "squarial". We could also watch Freeview which is also built in if we could be bothered to carry and rig up a suitable aerial. We don't do the latter because it is too much faff setting it up, and the aerial takes up a lot of stowage space. Instead, when at home I record a selection of films, or other programmes of interest, onto a USB stick and watch that when we can't see the satellite because of trees/buildings etc. We could also use DVD's because this is also built in to the Cello TV. This set up suits our needs very well and we don't actually watch too much TV when boating - 1/2 hours per evening, unless there is something special (and I don't mean sport!)?

Howard

5 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

We do have an inverter but don't really want to go down one end of the boat to switch if on the next remember to switch it off again before going to bed. 

5 hours ago, MJG said:

Yes bug that means walking through Curry's turning every set around to see how it's powered. 

4 hours ago, howardang said:

Over the years we have tried a number of TV's - some with combined DVD and some not. On our shared boat, we presently have a Cello TV which cost less than £200 and  delivers Freesat through a self seeking "squarial". We could also watch Freeview which is also built in if we could be bothered to carry and rig up a suitable aerial. We don't do the latter because it is too much faff setting it up, and the aerial takes up a lot of stowage space. Instead, when at home I record a selection of films, or other programmes of interest, onto a USB stick and watch that when we can't see the satellite because of trees/buildings etc. We could also use DVD's because this is also built in to the Cello TV. This set up suits our needs very well and we don't actually watch too much TV when boating - 1/2 hours per evening, unless there is something special (and I don't mean sport!)?

Howard

Refuse to buy another Cello. 

3 minutes ago, pearley said:

Yes bug that means walking through Curry's turning every set around to see how it's powered.

Well if I wanted to save a few quid over buying a dedicated 12v one I would be happy to do that, or see if the spec. was on the 'net.

I'd stick with the Avtex suggestion though, especially with the John Lewis 5 year warranty. (Presuming John Lewis last long enough to honour it of course).

My Avtex is 10 years old and has only been used on a boat. The Chase is on just now. Reception is crap at the moment as I fitted an internal antenna . The old antenna may have to return.

I am sure there are alternatives to Avtex. 

However it sounds like   " buy cheap and but twice " may apply to TV sets.

I have a Samsung TV at home which has served well. I don't know whether they have models suitable for 12V D.C. use.

6 hours ago, pearley said:

Have been looking at Avtex. John Lewis offer it with 5 year warranty so could be an option. 

I don't know the brand, but if a reputable shop are offering that sort of deal, I'd be very tempted to pull their arm off - especially after the troubles which you have chronicled.

Do be aware that if you buy from JL, if it does go wrong and if the do replace it, the replacement will not have a 5-year warranty. We found this out recently when a Roberts radio went on the blink three weeks before the end of its 2-year warranty period. They replaced it, but the new one was guaranteed for only those three weeks.

Edited by Athy

1 hour ago, Athy said:

I don't know the brand, but if a reputable shop are offering that sort of deal, I'd be very tempted to pull their arm off - especially after the troubles which you have chronicled.

Do be aware that if you buy from JL, if it does go wrong and if the do replace it, the replacement will not have a 5-year warranty. We found this out recently when a Roberts radio went on the blink three weeks before the end of its 2-year warranty period. They replaced it, but the new one was guaranteed for only those three weeks.

That would be normal for any warranty. 

3 hours ago, pearley said:

We do have an inverter but don't really want to go down one end of the boat to switch if on the next remember to switch it off again before going to bed. 

Yes bug that means walking through Curry's turning every set around to see how it's powered. 

Refuse to buy another Cello. 

Fair enough. I can only speak as I find and we have had no issues with both Cellos we have had over the years. 

Howard

When I was working in computer support we noticed that computer DVD players failed frequently and it was usually those ones that people had left the DVD on for days or weeks, those that had the player empty when the PC was off lasted better. That said every new batch of players seemed to fail more than the previous batch as they got cheaper and nastier. As these are the same players that go onto TV'S the reliability is low. USB sticks are much more reliable.

4 hours ago, Athy said:

That's normal with electrical goods.

5 minutes ago, Athy said:

Quite possibly, it's the first time I'd been in that situation, and I still ponder about the ethics of it.

I think it's perfectly ethical.

You buy a product with a warranty that lasts 'x' years. That is all they are obliged to do legally and ethiclcy IMHO.

If they have to replace the product to get it to the end of the warranty you understood who were buying in the first place then fair enough.

If you bought a new radio before the warranty was up it would start all over again.

Simple.

2 minutes ago, MJG said:

I think it's perfectly ethical.

You buy a product with a warranty that lasts 'x' years. That is all they are obliged to do legally and ethiclcy IMHO.

If they have to replace the product to get it to the end of the warranty you understood who were buying in the first place then fair enough.

If you bought a new radio before the warranty was up it would start all over again.

Simple.

You may find it so.

If the first one is supposed to last "x" years, so should the second one.

Just now, Athy said:

You may find it so.

If the first one is supposed to last "x" years, so should the second one.

No.

You only paid for a warranty that lasts 'x' years. The second one doesn't have the same warranty, it's a means of them meeting their obligations of the original warranty that came with the original product. (That you paid for).

7 hours ago, pearley said:

and...... Quite a few Samsungs up to about 24" run at 14V, so you can use a 12v - 14V adapter, (I'm actually using a 12V-15V adapter, and its worked fine for about 6 years). Quite a few Sony larger TVs run at 19V, as do some LGs.

If a trip around Currys looking at the back of TVs gets you a better TV and saves you i) some money ii) turning your inverter on and off, I find it's well worth it.

9 hours ago, Athy said:

We found this out recently when a Roberts radio went on the blink three weeks before the end of its 2-year warranty period. They replaced it, but the new one was guaranteed for only those three weeks.

Yes, but on your track record you can expect to get nearly another two years out of the new one - so you paid for a 2 year warranty and should get about a month or so less than 4 years from your original purchase.

Do you expect them to keep replacing it forever for the original purchase price?  You can get this level of service, but not cheaply!

I can see both points of view, but unsurprisingly I prefer mine!

If, of course, I was the retailer or the manufacturer, I wouldn't.

I suppose that my view is influenced by an expectation that if one buys a radio costing over a hundred quit from a highly reputable maker like Roberts it should last a damn' sight longer than two years. My big old Roberts R900, bought new about 1992, isn't quite was it was but it does still work.