Retrofit back boiler

jessie

Featured Posts

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone make back boilers to fit small stoves? 

Width would need to be less than 280mm.

If not could I just use a zigzag of 28mm copper pipe inside the stove. 

I have access to a mag drill so cutting the holes should be relatively simple. 

I'm replacing my broken morso squirrel with back boiler with a slightly smaller 2nd hand cast iron stove and would like to fit a back boiler to it as I already have the pipe work and radiators. The squirrel boiler is just a little too large.

Any competent stainless steel fabricator should be able to either modify the squirrel boiler or make you a bespoke one.  

You should not use copper tube in the firebox as it will probably corrode away rapidly (modern copper water pipe is very thin walled) and the many joints needed for a zig zag will be hard to make watertight.  Soldered joints are not suitable as they will fail if the water ever boils.

If you can lay your hands on some steam tube as used in fire tube boilers, that would be OK and can be welded up. You would need to keep the corrosion inhibitors topped up though.

N

43 minutes ago, BEngo said:

Any competent stainless steel fabricator should be able to either modify the squirrel boiler or make you a bespoke one.  

You should not use copper tube in the firebox as it will probably corrode away rapidly (modern copper water pipe is very thin walled) and the many joints needed for a zig zag will be hard to make watertight.  Soldered joints are not suitable as they will fail if the water ever boils.

If you can lay your hands on some steam tube as used in fire tube boilers, that would be OK and can be welded up. You would need to keep the corrosion inhibitors topped up though.

N

Thanks BEngo, that's really helpful, I'll look into local stainless steel fabricators. 

J

Edited by jessie
Error