Marooned on the Thames

JohnOnTheWey

Featured Posts

Well it's a good job we found these moorings when we did, just downstream of Shepperton Lock ("we" are 3 boats). The police came round on Monday, jotting down boat names and licence numbers. "Thinking of moving?" said the officer to my mate, who turned to glance at the raging torrent and then back to the police guy without saying a word. "Ah yes - point taken. Look after yourselves" and off he plodded.

On Tuesday, it was the turn of the Environment Agency guys. They gave us each a leaflet telling us what we kinda know already, and also told us to stay put until they come to tell us when it's OK. I quite like the idea of being more-or-less permanently attached to a 24 hour mooring, all with the sanction of The Agency. Been here 7 days now - it's like being on the cut, but with added drama.

JOTW

Their current advice is to stay put, though I'm not sure they have any legal means of detaining you against your will (the police could possibly have you sectioned..... :) ) However, to go against their advice would certainly invalidate your insurance policy.

The EA have a 'duty of care' to their customers. By sending round the guy distributing leaflets explaining the extreme conditions they are basically covering their arses.

The EA have a 'duty of care' to their customers. By sending round the guy distributing leaflets explaining the extreme conditions they are basically covering their arses.

And there are a lot of people out there who, without nannying, will go and do something stupid.

Better to appear patronising to those of us who can wipe our own bum, than dragging out the corpses of those who can't.

And there are a lot of people out there who, without nannying, will go and do something stupid.

Better to appear patronising to those of us who can wipe our own bum, than dragging out the corpses of those who can't.

Hear hear, even though here in the south east we have come off lightly, yesterday the wind was gusting up the medway upto 50 knts. I actually saw a sea gull flying backwards. the painter on the dinghy broke loose and shifted the thing back several inches, and some fool left the starboard porthole open allowing spray and sideways rain to cover the draining board in the galley, so muggins gets back from nights and has to mop up. wish i didnt live alone :)

Hope it eases for you all soon but we can certainly rule out summer this year. roll on winter

I wasn't being antagonistic. Just pointing out that all they can do is give their best advise and hope that you stay put.

The EA's best advice is that you keep well clear of their weir structures as the currents are dangerous but it doesn't stop canoeists flocking to them every weekend for some white water 'fun'.. :cheers: ....

Took a ride over to Shepperton lock on the motorbike this afternoon. It's certainly moving at a fair old pace. There were few boats moored up immediately in the downstream lockcut but never saw "Tomorrow". Where are you moored? Near D'Oyle Carte Island?

About half a mile further downstream, on the old river side (thank Buddha) of Desborough Island. The major stream is running through Desborough Cut, on the other side of the island. Our moorings are undesirable, normally, as there are no pubs/shops/anything within easy walking distance. In these conditions, though, they're perfect. :cheers:

JOTW

About half a mile further downstream, on the old river side (thank Buddha) of Desborough Island. The major stream is running through Desborough Cut, on the other side of the island. Our moorings are undesirable, normally, as there are no pubs/shops/anything within easy walking distance. In these conditions, though, they're perfect. :cheers:

JOTW

OOh good planning!!!!! I hope you have a good and steady supply of beer and cake....!

I've been stranded at Purley for more than a week now. Decided to come back to the 'mainland', partly because I fancied spending a weekend away from boats and partly because I got a lift across the flooded causeway in a big Land Rover which was great fun. :cheers:

You'd have to be an idiot to use your boat in conditions like these, but I have no doubt that many people would. I have to say I feel a new degree of respect for the EA staff, particularly the lock keepers. I'll not say a word about canoeists anymore either, they're running supplies and collecting full toilets from the boats stranded at Pangbourne.

Last Sunday, I sat outside Beeston Marina sinking a few Strongbows. The Trent was up about 5 feet and the flood marker was well over at the lock. I watched agog at a 65 footer as it emerged from the lock and craweld past at about 1 knot and revving to what looked like 2500 rpm (seriously). All the guests were up front, booze in hand, not a care in the world.

From the lock to the first bend in the river where I lost sight of it is about 400 metres. It took it 20 mins <eeek>!!

About 10 minutes later it had turned round came back by me all the guests and the pilot wearing life jackets!

I guess someones arse started to notch a tad. :cheers:

technically they can't stop you navigating the Thames as it is legally a public highway (citation needed). The EA launch was out today here at beautiful Henley so it can't be that bad if their insurance covers it (?). it has been going a bit though specially through Henley bridge with Isis and Tamesis watching over the main arch. Beautiful to see a river doing its job properly IMHO. Even in the regatta reach it's been doing 2 to 2.5mph and its wide here so there are a few gallons of water, something like 300 tons per second moving past.

Last Sunday, I sat outside Beeston Marina sinking a few Strongbows. The Trent was up about 5 feet and the flood marker was well over at the lock. I watched agog at a 65 footer as it emerged from the lock and craweld past at about 1 knot and revving to what looked like 2500 rpm (seriously). All the guests were up front, booze in hand, not a care in the world.

From the lock to the first bend in the river where I lost sight of it is about 400 metres. It took it 20 mins <eeek>!!

About 10 minutes later it had turned round came back by me all the guests and the pilot wearing life jackets!

I guess someones arse started to notch a tad. :cheers:

I am amazed the lock wasnt chained , the last time i was stranded on the cut at beeston lock the lockie kept it secure at all times until the water dropped to near normal because as he said there is always one who will try it even though the marker is in the red.

When we did get through that first bend seemed like a mile away!

Rick