Clifton wharf scary

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Widening the discussion, is anyone considered responsible for trees that fall like this, or are such incidents considered an Act of God?

I'm wondering if the owners of RAVENSDALE (or their insurers) have any claim in law against the owner of the tree, or whether the owner has an automatic defence that it was an Act of God.

When I moored at Clifton the owners took the view that if I was worried about the stability of any trees I was free to employ my own tree surgeon to fix whatever my concern was, and the state of the trees was none of their concern.  Might this policy come back and bite them on the bum in the case of RAVENSDALE?

It seems unlikely, as RAVENSDALE is quoted as being at Winsford, which is too far from Clifton to be able to blame them, I think!

Interestingly it is alongside "Small Woolwich" Hercules, which I thought was still on the CRT maintenance fleet - but fairly obviously not operational at he moment.

There is also a CRT work boat a couple of places to the right.

I don't know the area very well, but assume this picture may be taken alongside the Weaver?

9 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Amazing that the ones either side seem to have escaped damage.

?

Sturdy beasts, Small Woolwiches!

42 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

About 5 or 6 years ago there was an accident 'just up the road' from us at a railway crossing.

The gates were closed and a line of traffic was waiting.

A huge tree branch fell on top of a car and killed the driver.

The local Estate were declared to be at fault for not maintaining their trees and they were taken to court and charged with manslaughter. It subsequently turned out that the Estate had identified the potential accident during their bi-annual tree survey and had previously written to the council requesting permission to lop the tree, permission was refused as it was considered to be an 'old tree' worthy of protection and a TPO was put on the tree and the Estate told not to 'touch it'.

It all seemed to go quiet after that.

I would be curious about the incident, tpos are not casually applied nowadays, if there was an identifiable defect it would be unlikely mitigation would be denied, even if a TPO was granted

1 minute ago, tree monkey said:

I would be curious about the incident, tpos are not casually applied nowadays, if there was an identifiable defect it would be unlikely mitigation would be denied, even if a TPO was granted

I am sure you are correct, I only have the 'Village grapevine' to go on.

The story did disappear from the local press after the case against the Estate was dismissed.

9 hours ago, David Mack said:

Another boat hit by a fallen tree.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canal-Barge-Damaged-Salvage-Restoration-Project/254459040008

Anyone know when/where this happened?

Just below Nash Mill footbridge twixt Locks 68/69 southern GU in the last week of April 2019. By the time we passed on Fulbourne, C&RT had exacted significant retribution on the offending tree

P4300517-ravensdale1.jpg

P4300514.JPG

P4300513.JPG

Ah, so it is THAT one!

So it has been taken from Nash Mills to Winsford - presumably not by canal!

There's no justice is there - it missed the massive wide-beam, and hit a narrow boat! ?

Edited by alan_fincher
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, PeterScott said:

Just below Nash Mill footbridge twixt Locks 68/69 southern GU in the last week of April 2019. By the time we passed on Fulbourne, C&RT had exacted significant retribution on the offending tree

It looks like its taking sometime for liability to be admitted and repairs started, or, maybe the insurance has paid out & its classed as a right-off ?

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It looks like its taking sometime for liability to be admitted and repairs started, or, maybe the insurance has paid out & its classed as a right-off ?

As it is being sold by "RepossesionsUK" I think it is reasonable to assume it is not still owned by whoever it was when the tree hit it.

Curiously none of their other items are canal baots though.

Here's another example...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2002-BENTLEY-ARNAGE-T-6750cc-PETROL-AUTOMATIC-4-Speed-4-DOOR-SALOON/254450319854?hash=item3b3e6bc1ee:g:I-IAAOSwSlVd8MWn

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I’m guessing as it looks like it’s on the bottom too it was written off...if I guess they had comp insurance. 

Having been missed by a falling tree in Bugsworth basin by about 2ft earlier this year I can sympathise....there wasn’t time to even get out of the boat from a cracking noise to it hitting the floor...thankfully it was slowed somewhat by hitting a drystone wall on the way down. 

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

As it is being sold by "RepossesionsUK" I think it is reasonable to assume it is not still owned by whoever it was when the tree hit it.

My guess is that the insurers paid out the full value of the boat and took ownership, and have passed it on through the trade for disposal.

And RepossessionsUK think they can sell it in for £10k as a fixer-upper. Given the amount of cabin damage, and the fact that it has been sunk, I think that may be somewhat optimistic. It is unlikely that anyone dried out the engine and got it going again before the insides would have rusted up for example.

4 minutes ago, David Mack said:

My guess is that the insurers paid out the full value of the boat and took ownership, and have passed it on through the trade for disposal.

And RepossessionsUK think they can sell it in for £10k as a fixer-upper. Given the amount of cabin damage, and the fact that it has been sunk, I think that may be somewhat optimistic. It is unlikely that anyone dried out the engine and got it going again before the insides would have rusted up for example.

Given the advert shows pics of the interior all stripped of anything useful (e.g. the stove) in areas undamaged by the tree, it seems likely the boat languished on the towpath for a while after.

I'd guess the value (if any) lies in the steelwork of the bow and stern which appear undamaged, these bits being where all the work lies in building a new shell. It looks to me like a really old Colecraft though, with the bulgy bow design not popular these days.

14 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Given the advert shows pics of the interior all stripped of anything useful (e.g. the stove) in areas undamaged by the tree, it seems likely the boat languished on the towpath for a while after.

There's a squirrel stove still in there. But the water heater has gone from the bulkhead in the galley, and it looks like fridge and cooker have gone too - eveything but the kitchen sink!

33 minutes ago, David Mack said:

No most of that will polish out, leaving a huge profit on the bargain price.

28 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

It looks to me like a really old Colecraft though, with the bulgy bow design not popular these days.

If this is correct it is Rugby Boatbuilders.

There is 1 record that matches your query

Ravensdale Built by Rugby Boatblders - Length : 16.76 metres ( 55 feet ) - Beam : 2.07 metres ( 6 feet 9 inches ) - Draft : 0.61 metres ( 2 feet ). Metal hull N/A power of 19 HP. Registered with Canal & River Trust number 69143 as a Powered Motor Boat.  ( Last updated on Friday 20th April 2012 )

So probably only built to a 1/4" baseplate, and would probably have had gravel ballast - never a great idea!

Also possibly with a skinned wooden top?  (There are beams in part of the cabin, not usual on a boat originally built in steel).

I think they had ceased trading by the early 1990s.

2 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Also possibly with a skinned wooden top?  (There are beams in part of the cabin, not usual on a boat originally built in steel).

Looks like it. And judging by the way the sides have split from the handrail where the tree damage is, it isn't a fully welded steel skin either.