Hull differendes?

jimxtc

Featured Posts

10 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

IIRC, BW tried to blame it on "inappropriate operation of the lock", but it seems highly likely to me the lock will have had some issue of some kin of projection to cause the hang, and hard to see how it was the experienced boaters at fault.  What I couldn't understand was why, before they got a 60 tonne crane on the job, they could not work out exactly what it was hung on.  Can't have been hard, surely?

Nothing new on that front then

On 21/09/2018 at 15:03, jimxtc said:

I am currently looking at a 34' narrowboat that has a V hull.  I was unaware that this was an option and assumed all narrowboats were flat bottomed.  The construction is 6-5-4, again, I thought that most boats were 10-6-4 but I really know nothing about boats!  Can anyone advice me the difference / advantage / disadvantage of a V hull and the thickness construction?

Try looking on this website http://www.tingdeneboatsales.net/pre-owned-boats-pyrford

Edited by F DRAYKE

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Crikey! £44,000 for a South-West Durham 45-footer? They generally go for about £10,000 less than that. You can tell that Tingdene are Down South.

Careful now!

A forum member is one of Ting Dene's sales managers!

15 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Careful now!

A forum member is one of Ting Dene's sales managers!

Good, I hope that he reads this thread as I'm sure there's a good reason why that particular boat is priced as it is and, as I like those S.W. Durham boats, I'd be interested to know. O.K., a pram hood has been added since its CanalTime days, (I'm assuming it's an ex-CanalTime boat) so that will make a little difference to the asking price.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all so much for your valuable input.  After all that, I bought a 2017 25' Aintree Beetle moored at Pyrford Marina!  Now I just need to find a waterways map I can download to my iPad, having trouble finding a Nicholson's but there must be something I can download that shows me the whole network!

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1

Glad you found your boat, I bought my books from an online seller who also provided a large map of the waterways free of charge, that was over 14 years ago so cant help you who it was doing the selling, but someone will be along to help soon I hope

On 21/09/2018 at 18:41, Athy said:

You could be right - but wasn't there a case a couple of years ago in which a boatbuilder was fined for supplying a hull which was over 6'10" wide which was considered by a judge not to be fit for its purpose? So we may look at 6'10", or 2m08cm, as the limit of their width.

Working boats were built to 7'0" or even very slightly wider. Not sure about the boats of 30 years ago in general, but I suspect that 6'10" has been normal for many years.

With the #of new  build leisure boats being built & steel fabricators rather than boat builders building ,then cost & time cutting ways were looked at, 2 metre wide base plates became the norm + the folding of the side plates to join to the base plate dependent on the wear lip of the base plate gave a imp width of 6' 9"/10" with the guard irons the beam ended 6'/11"or 7'as the state of locks deteriorated the easy fix was move the side plate in to leave a wider wear strip& reduce the beam as an anti jam in the locks measure ,cheap & easy The bending up of the base plate rather the fitting 2 triangular plates to join the side plates at the curve of the stem .The first div builders mostly stayed true to the older ways & shapes but the budget builders took the listed changes + short swims & lack of tumble home to  maximize space to the detriment of swimming characteristics & to some folk pleasing looks

16 hours ago, jimxtc said:

Thank you all so much for your valuable input.  After all that, I bought a 2017 25' Aintree Beetle moored at Pyrford Marina!  Now I just need to find a waterways map I can download to my iPad, having trouble finding a Nicholson's but there must be something I can download that shows me the whole network!

Very pleased that you found a suitable boat. As it's nearly new,there will be no problems with corrosion or mechanical issues,and paintwork.

I used to dream of owning a boat that just needed sailing,and not needing attacking with spanners rust scraper,primer and paint.

Please post us some pictures if you can.

• 1 month later...
35 minutes ago, jimxtc said:

As soon as I get to the boat again (haven't been there since I bought her!) to winterize her I will take some photos.

I'm so glad you've found a boat, Jimxtc. May you have many wonderful adventures with her.  :hug:

On 03/10/2018 at 09:01, cuthound said:

Paper Nicholsons guides are available from Amazon

Much cheaper to replace than iPads when you drop them in tbe cut ?

Very true, but I wonder it Jim wants the pinch and zoom of the iPad screen. Being rather clumsy myself I use Quadlocks to prevent horrible watery things happening to my phone. ?

I think most if not all the Nicholson's Waterways Guides can be bought in e-book format and read on the kindle app; you can pinch and zoom on the maps which is handy but I don't think that I personally would forsake the spiral bound copy for the e-books, but they're also the cheaper option if folk are on a budget and thinking about where they want to go next. ?

Edited by Tumshie