CRT and anti vandal keys

aracer

Featured Posts

Are these available in all standard chandlers? The boat I'm buying seems to come with most of the stuff I need to just cruise away, but I didn't check if it came with those and wondering whether I should order some or will just be able to buy them there and then if necessary. If it makes a difference I'm collecting it from Gayton marina and heading north on the GU

20 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

STOP!

Don't buy those ebay black anti-vandal keys - they don't fit in all the anti-vandal locks on the system.  Nearly all the problems people have with handcuff locks is because those keys are very slightly the wrong shape and only fit worn locks.  You physically can not get them into some of the locks on the system.

Both types of keys are available from CRT directly online, or you can just pick them up at the chandlery at Gayton.

Edit to add link:

https://shop.canalrivertrust.org.uk/shop

Edited by TheBiscuits

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

STOP!

Don't buy those ebay black anti-vandal keys - they don't fit in all the anti-vandal locks on the system.  Nearly all the problems people have with handcuff locks is because those keys are very slightly the wrong shape and only fit worn locks.  You physically can not get them into some of the locks on the system.

Both types of keys are available from CRT directly online, or you can just pick them up at the chandlery at Gayton.

Seconded. 

I bought one from Midland Chandlers and it was worse than you describe. I never found a handcuff lock anywhere it fitted. I threw it away in the end. 

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Be careful with eBay and other cheap ones. I had one where the "square" hole was apparently been made by drilling and filing or broaching out the corners. The resulting hole was a circle with four little triangular additions . Totally useless, unless the anti vandal lock was virtually brand new. IIRC, it was painted black.

In contrast, I have one where the hole has obviously been made by broaching. The hole is nice and square, but the surrounding metal has spread, so it won't fit all the anti-vandal locks. Best to have a few, to guarantee one that works!

Not only is the square hole in some nothing like square, we were sold two at a chandlery where the outside diameter of the end prevented them going in any lock we tried them in.

Did eventually make one usable by a lot of filing,, but that is crap, and shouldn't be necessary.

If you are travelling only on the GU, you will not encounter locks that use handcuff keys, I think.  They are prevalent in Birmingham, and on many Northern canals, but not on wide locks on the GU.

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

STOP!

Edit to add link:

https://shop.canalrivertrust.org.uk/shop

Thanks for the useful link and information, just bought a couple.

8 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Not only is the square hole in some nothing like square, we were sold two at a chandlery where the outside diameter of the end prevented them going in any lock we tried them in.

Did eventually make one usable by a lot of filing,, but that is crap, and shouldn't be necessary.

If you are travelling only on the GU, you will not encounter locks that use handcuff keys, I think.  They are prevalent in Birmingham, and on many Northern canals, but not on wide locks on the GU.

Thats useful to know, I was wondering why we hadn't seen any.

41 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Do I hear the voice of bitter experience here? ?

Not personally as I have two on the boat and one in my daysack I take when going on other people's boats. I have met a boater stranded in a lock flight though with no key as they had lost it and someone caught out in Stoke who had boated in to the empty lock, got off their boat and couldn't open the paddles as they didn't have an anti-vandle key.

1 minute ago, Rob-M said:

Not personally as I have two on the boat and one in my daysack I take when going on other people's boats. I have met a boater stranded in a lock flight though with no key as they had lost it and someone caught out in Stoke who had boated in to the empty lock, got off their boat and couldn't open the paddles as they didn't have an anti-vandle key.

Whilst getting deisel at Sterbourne Wharf, a boat pulled up and asked if they had any of the “key things”, which was deciphered into anti-vandal keys.  They had made it up the B&F into Birmingham without one, by waiting for other boats to come along.  They had not realised they needed one, or even that such a thing existed.  I suggested that they bought two, which they did.

4 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Met a couple coming down the Wolverhampton using snipe nose pliers, He was over the moon when I gave him an old one I had

2 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

I'm turning onto the Stratford at Lapworth and then south on the Worcester and Birmingham - though given it seems the only lock on that section between Lapworth and Tardebigge within the Birmingham urban area is the always open stop lock at Kings Norton (please somebody correct me if I'm wrong) presumably I don't need one at all for now, just the CRT key? I'm assuming both Lapworth and Tardebigge are far enough out not to have them and I've visited both and didn't notice any locking mechanisms.

2 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

I have a home made one that fits all perfectly. Its  1/4" drive sockets with an allen key jammed into the hex ends so its double ended. Its lighter than the "proper" one and fits the pocket better.

That's interesting - so is the drive bit just a 1/4" square? Have plenty of 1/4" sockets and AKs to match so sure I can bodge something if I come across one - planning on taking a well stocked tool box with me when I pick the boat up!

We're always losing keys and stuff and I went into a certain chandlery in the south west and asked for a handcuff key, blank look.  I tried again, what about an anti vandal key? But I was still getting that look you know the sort of look you often get in a builders merchants when you don't know the exact correct name for some fitting or whatever.   So I described what the thing was for and her eyes lit up oh, you mean a conservation key she exclaimed.   For pity's sake. 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, aracer said:

I'm turning onto the Stratford at Lapworth and then south on the Worcester and Birmingham - though given it seems the only lock on that section between Lapworth and Tardebigge within the Birmingham urban area is the always open stop lock at Kings Norton (please somebody correct me if I'm wrong) presumably I don't need one at all for now, just the CRT key? I'm assuming both Lapworth and Tardebigge are far enough out not to have them and I've visited both and didn't notice any locking mechanisms.

That's interesting - so is the drive bit just a 1/4" square? Have plenty of 1/4" sockets and AKs to match so sure I can bodge something if I come across one - planning on taking a well stocked tool box with me when I pick the boat up!

You will not need an anti vandal key at all on the N Stratford.  I don’t think you do on the W&B but can’t remember for certain.  You will need a BW key for the lift bridge at Shirley on the N Stratford.

28 minutes ago, john6767 said:

You will not need an anti vandal key at all on the N Stratford.  I don’t think you do on the W&B but can’t remember for certain.  You will need a BW key for the lift bridge at Shirley on the N Stratford.

None required on W&B either. Although if boating in Worcestershire one place where they are fitted is the locks through Kidderminster.

Oh! Thought I didn't have any lift bridges on my route, had clearly not looked hard enough - it seems the Shirley one is easy, but there are another two may be more tricky. Though I was planning on getting a CRT key anyway.

I'm sure I'll go through Kiddy at some point, but probably not until next year and certainly with plenty of time to sort out what bits I need. Thanks.

1 minute ago, aracer said:

Oh! Thought I didn't have any lift bridges on my route, had clearly not looked hard enough - it seems the Shirley one is easy, but there are another two may be more tricky. Though I was planning on getting a CRT key anyway.

I'm sure I'll go through Kiddy at some point, but probably not until next year and certainly with plenty of time to sort out what bits I need. Thanks.

The Shirley one is electic with the console on the towpath side, so easy even single handed.  The BW key is needed to enable the console.  The other two are conventional manual hydraulic ones that have to be operated from the offside with a windlass, no other key needed.

1 hour ago, Neil2 said:

So I described what the thing was for and her eyes lit up oh, you mean a conservation key she exclaimed.   For pity's sake. 

Actually "water conservation key" us how BW generally described them, and indeed CRT may still well do so.

Boaters may mostly know them as "handcuff keys", but that's not how the authorities have tended to refer to them.

A bit like "Watermate key" rather than "BW Key" (or "CRT Key"?), for the Yale type keys.

5 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

I have a home made one that fits all perfectly. Its  1/4" drive sockets with an allen key jammed into the hex ends so its double ended. Its lighter than the "proper" one and fits the pocket better.

DIY here is a 1/4 inch  socket extension bar with a cross bar  welded on the male end. Neat, hard wearing and mostly  shiny chrome vanadium .

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

Actually "water conservation key" us how BW generally described them, and indeed CRT may still well do so.

Boaters may mostly know them as "handcuff keys", but that's not how the authorities have tended to refer to them.

When they first became available, they were  nicknamed "Leeds & Livvy Keys" , after the canal where they were  originally fitted , at Wigan Locks, this was in 19 mumble mumble.(71?)

9 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

A bit like "Watermate key" rather than "BW Key" (or "CRT Key"?), for the Yale type keys.

For a good while I didn't know wby they were called handcuff keys by boaters as I had only used one on the Erewash, where the locks are built in to the paddle gear and don't look anythjng like handcuffs. It was only on visiting the Leeds and Liverpool that the penny dropped.

Jen