Oops, more new build woes...

matty40s

Featured Posts

I think we shared a lock with them a couple of weeks ago, maybe Abingdon. Had a chat about his finding water in the tank, but couldn't see how if it were a leak he wasn't trailing a slick. Didn't think of the rudder tube. Looked a nice boat otherwise.

Martin/

5 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Read Matty's explanation of a possible cause (reproduced below)......   It makes sense to me.  If the rudder tube passes through the diesel tank, but has not been welded at the top, then that is above the level of the diesel, so none will leak into the cut.  But as water is forced up the rudder tube by the propeller it would be more or less guaranteed that much of it ends up in the diesel tank.

It may prove not to be the explanation, but it is certainly a possible one that fits the facts.

My definite 'wrong' answers eliminate options and should help focus on the right ones. I certainly go along with Matty's explanation.

Obviously one of the welders forgot to weld a bit of the thing up. Mistakes happen, even to someone who has done satisfactory work for years, I, too , would have been a bit miffed if this boat had been mine but lets not put the builders in front of a firing squad. Even I have made a few mistakes, hard to believe but its true, once after doing the brakes on my car I tried to drive off when one wheel was still jacked up. I had to thrash myself with nettles to punish myself.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Bee said:

Obviously one of the welders forgot to weld a bit of the thing up. Mistakes happen, even to someone who has done satisfactory work for years, I, too , would have been a bit miffed if this boat had been mine but lets not put the builders in front of a firing squad. Even I have made a few mistakes, hard to believe but its true, once after doing the brakes on my car I tried to drive off when one wheel was still jacked up. I had to thrash myself with nettles to punish myself.

Maybe you were looking for an excuse to go nettle gathering!? Sorry, couldn't resist, hope it doesn't break any rules ?

Engineer from boat company attended at 9am, tried same test as us and agreed. Tiller off, bearing off, bearing mount cut off and look what's there, a big hole.

Welded u9 properly and pressure tested, boat rebuilt and back in water by 2pm. 

The company had already dealt with the problem a short while ago, sacking the welder responsible for something else so can't take any more action against him. They have paid all bills , paid for new filters and filled the diesel tank for the owners, no idea if that is all they will be getting or not.

Well done for quick response Aintree, I have no doubt procedures have been put in place to make sure it doesn't happen again from what the engineer today said. 

20180921_121128.jpg

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

3 minutes ago, Bee said:

If they had pressure tested the tank, (a requirement of a new build, I believe), then the mistake would have been detected and rectified before the boat was handed to the customer.

I still maintain they have made two serious mistakes, not one.

• Greenie 2

But we see from Matty's last post that Aintree Boats have done the decent thing since the error was discovered, and done it promptly. That sort of after-sales service gives one confidence in the company.

Edited by Athy

18 minutes ago, Athy said:

But we see from Matty's last post that Aintree Boats have done the decent thing since the error was discovered, and done it promptly. That sort of after-sales service gives one confidence in the company.

It does, and all credit to Aintree.

Presumably the 'measures put in place' to stop it happening again include pressure testing the diesel tanks they construct in future. Already mandatory but clearly overlooked in the is case.

One wonders how many other Aintree boats out there have the same fault. 

The cynic in me suspects they never pressure test any of them. 

1 hour ago, Tanglewood said:

He had such a twinkle in his eye when he told me that story I've never known whether to believe him, or accept that if I demanded proof the only way would be to end up with a welded up hole in the bottom of my boat

My understanding is that all modern steel boats have a hole in the bottom that ends up being welded up, its called the boats bottom (or baseplate nowadays) - even my riveted 1936 'historic' narrow boat had one of these holes in 2003 when being re-bottomed :captain:

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

It does, and all credit to Aintree.

Presumably the 'measures put in place' to stop it happening again include pressure testing the diesel tanks they construct in future. Already mandatory but clearly overlooked in the is case.

One wonders how many other Aintree boats out there have the same fault. 

The cynic in me suspects they never pressure test any of them. 

From what was said a separate person now pressure tests tanks, not the welder who (was supposed to have) welded it.

11 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

My understanding is that all modern steel boats have a hole in the bottom that ends up being welded up, its called the boats bottom (or baseplate nowadays) - even my riveted 1936 'historic' narrow boat had one of these holes in 2003 when being re-bottomed :captain:

Do they put a golden rivet in it

• Horror 1

54 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

If they had pressure tested the tank, (a requirement of a new build, I believe), then the mistake would have been detected and rectified before the boat was handed to the customer.

I still maintain they have made two serious mistakes, not one.

But most importantly they seem to have taken the appropriate action to fix it.

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Do they put a golden rivet in it

30 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Not put in, but stuck on with weld.

Not got a Naval background have you ?

The Golden Rivet is a mythical rivet found on RN ships, it is brought to your attention by a friendly Sailor saying "look shipmate there is the Golden Rivet" you bend over to look for it and then Jack gets a fat lip or you get a sore arse.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The Golden Rivet is a mythical rivet found on RN ships, it is brought to your attention by a friendly Sailor saying "look shipmate there is the Golden Rivet" you bend over to look for it and then Jack gets a fat lip or you get a sore arse.

“What the hell was that???”

”Just the roll of the ship.”

”It felt more like a roll of lino!”

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Ah now this reminds me of the joke about the boy who comes home and in response to their enquiries about skool today, says to his parents, "today I had sex with my teacher".

Mother goes ballistic and sends boy up to his room. Father goes up to boy and says "actually son, I shouldn't be, but I'm rather proud of you. So tomorrow we'll go to the bike shop and I'll buy you that bicycle you've wanted for so long. In fact you can ride it home if you like".

Boy says "no thanks dad, my arse is too sore..."

• Haha 1