Moderator Vacancy

Canal World

Featured Posts

11 minutes ago, mayalld said:

There is an argument that the very last people one should have as moderators are those who would apply.

If you want the power, you shouldn't have it!

Perhaps, but such an approach in business or in the professions would make posts of responsibility hard to fill.

I was "headhunted" for my last teaching post, but this was far from being the norm. Applications were sought for most teaching vacancies.

Edited by Athy

57 minutes ago, Athy said:

Perhaps, but such an approach in business or in the professions would make posts of responsibility hard to fill.

I was "headhunted" for my last teaching post, but this was far from being the norm. Applications were sought for most teaching vacancies.

Those that can"Do" those that can't".........you know the rest ? ?

8 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Well have you applied? If not I think you are just attention seeking.

No, have you?

If not I think rather it is you seeking attention.

8 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

*Gasp!* No!! Martyn? Shirley not!

Mwahahaha!

If you are going to try and be a clever clogs could I ask that you at least spell my name correctly.

The clue as to how to do this is in my signature.

For what it's worth, I think it's Dan's ball, and we can each of us choose to play with it to his rules, or take our bat home.   

1 minute ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Teaching was the hardest job I ever had.  Perhaps I've led a sheltered life.

Coming from a long line of teachers myself. I knew from an early age that I had no intention of going into the family business. 

2 hours ago, Athy said:

But the forum is not run on such a basis. No-one is paid and responses to adverts like this are not always even acknowledged, let alone properly responded to. 

The Management ignoring unacceptable applications (rather than contacting and thanking the applicants courteously for their interest before declining their application) is hardly the way to encourage further and more suitable applicants, I’d suggest. Especially given the level of detail demanded in applications in the advert. 

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

21 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

But the forum is not run on such a basis. No-one is paid and responses to adverts like this are not always even acknowledged, let alone properly responded to. 

The Management ignoring unacceptable applications (rather than contacting and thanking the applicants courteously for their interest before declining their application) is hardly the way to encourage further and more suitable applicants, I’d suggest. Especially given the level of detail demanded in applications in the advert. 

But further and more suitable applicants aren't going to know who has applied, let alone been rejected, unless the latter make it public, as in your case. 

I'm curious to know who has given up modding.  Haven't heard from some of them for some time (unlike Athy, who is omnipresent).

5 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

But further and more suitable applicants aren't going to know who has applied, let alone been rejected, unless the latter make it public, as in your case. 

I'm curious to know who has given up modding.  Haven't heard from some of them for some time (unlike Athy, who is omnipresent).

Well so far dave mayall and I have both applied and been blanked.  I spent quite a while assembling all the info specified in the advert and sent off my application. No response. I sent a further note enquiring as to whether my application has been received. Zilch.  The next thing, two new mods (the disastrous two, remember them?) were appointed. Maybe Dave had the same experience, and yes maybe other members here applied too and were ignored, but two of us saying what happened will perhaps encourage Dan to behave a bit more professionally and at least acknowledge all applicants given the effort required to assemble an application. 

And I too am curious as to who has thrown in the towel. 

2 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

Coming from a long line of teachers myself. I knew from an early age that I had no intention of going into the family business. 

When my youngest daughter was trying to decide on a career her Mum took her to one side and said "Forget everything you have heard your Dad say, have you considered teaching?"    The reply quick as a flash "have you seen our year 7 (1st year secondary for those who haven't caught up with the 1988 changes) no way"

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I spent quite a while assembling all the info specified in the advert and sent off my application.

That is one thing that would put me off applying!  I am not in the habit of doing complex job applications for things I am volunteering for.  (Not that I would have the required skills for this particular volunteering).

Just now, Jerra said:

If anybody has given up modding they doesn't appear to have been removed from the staff list - there are still 7 names for mods.

That is correct, but there are a couple of them whom we don't see so often at the moment. This may be for personal or professional reasons - I don't know.

We could, of course, practice self-moderation, and remove the need for such a post to exist, if indeed there is a need for it in the first place. That way we could start awarding Athy greenies again.

The report button seems to have disappeared anyway.

1 minute ago, billS said:

We could, of course, practice self-moderation, and remove the need for such a post to exist, if indeed there is a need for it in the first place. That way we could start awarding Athy greenies again.

The report button seems to have disappeared anyway.

What a kind thought, but used fivers will do just fine.

As for the report facility, I too thought that it had vanished - but hover your cursor/arrow thingy over the blue or gold stripe across the top of a post and the words "Report post" will magically appear. At least, they do for me.

7 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

I've wondered why Athy, alone of all the mods, can give greenies.  But after all it is better to give than to receive.

I don't think that's the case - as far as I'm aware, any moddy can give them.