Moderator Vacancy

Canal World

Featured Posts

We're recruiting! - Moderator Vacancy

Due to additional requirements, Canal World is looking to recruit additional moderator(s) over next few weeks to work alongside the current team, both to grow the team and replace members who have since retired from the role.

Due to the typical tasks involved, the ideal candidate will have a moderate (or better) level of computer literacy with previous experience performing forum, chat or group moderation. Previous website/forum administration experience is a big plus but not essential. We're also keen to hear from individuals who have had significant exposure to other online forum communities and their methods of operation. We will however consider all applications given that we fully appreciate and respect that this is a voluntary role. Everyone will be considered based on their individual merits. 

Moderators will join the current site staff in front-line voluntary work after a short introductory period.

Typical tasks include:

• Maintaining the forums content and atmosphere
  • Engaging with and assisting members with general and moderation related enquiries
  • Responding to and completing post reports
  • Reviewing content submitted for approval 
  • Merging duplicated topics and posts
  • Moving topics and editing topic titles where appropriate
  • Promoting healthy debate, discussion & content using the "Featured topic" tool where appropriate 
  • Removing inappropriate content and exercise disciplinary action where appropriate
  • Removing spam and spam accounts
  • Escalating serious or repeat incidents to forum administrators
  • Provide input and contribute where possible towards the operation and long-term future of the forum

We recognise that we have a user-base with a vast amount of knowledge and experience in all walks of life. As such, we're also interested to hear from users who may be interested in helping out in other areas of the site. - We're always open to ideas! :)

If you are interested and are able to contribute some of your time to help maintain our site, please contact us by clicking here. Please provide a short cover note outlining your interest for the role along with any experience, knowledge or skills you can offer.

Canal World is owned and managed by DHutch. The site is operated by a Team of Volunteers who kindly provide their time to help towards maintaining the site. We are extremely grateful to those who help make Canal World what it is today for the benefit of its members and guests alike.

Thank you

Just now, MJG said:

Strange that they should be inviting applications when what they could/should be doing is just contacting members directly to ask if they would like to be a moderator.

Thank you for your advice. How do you know that this is not being, or has not been, done?

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

Thank you for your advice. How do you know that this is not being, or has not been, done?

Don't be an @rse Mike. How could I know that?

I think it reasonable to assume it hasn't been, given the advert.

6 minutes ago, MJG said:

Strange that they should be inviting applications when what they could/should be doing is just contacting members directly to ask if they would like to be a moderator.

4 minutes ago, Athy said:

I have just checked my messages, and there is nothing there.

In fairness to our moderator team, I am not moderate and I am a great believer in Groucho Marx:

Here's to our wives and girlfriends... may they never meet!

Oh no, hang on, it was the other one I meant:

Please accept my resignation. I don’t care to belong to the sort of club that will have me as a member

6 minutes ago, MJG said:

So you didn't get an invite either?  Quelle surprise!

1 minute ago, bizzard said:

Oh no!! Please, please,  I'd be much obliged not to co-arsed into becoming one.  :(

I've just fixed that for you :D

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

Please expand ...

He is a former member who I disagreed with on multiple occasions, he did once say that forum moderators should be by invite not by volunteering?

Clear?

23 minutes ago, MJG said:

We are keen to hear from both existing members and/or indeed individuals with relevant experience that could benefit the site. Advertising the role seemed like a fair way to do that as it gives anyone the opportunity to put themselves forward should they wish to do so. 

Just now, RichM said:

We are keen to hear from both existing members and/or indeed individuals with relevant experience that could benefit the site. Advertising the role seemed like a fair way to do that as it gives anyone the opportunity to put themselves forward should they wish to do so. 

Lol

29 minutes ago, MJG said:

He is a former member who I disagreed with on multiple occasions, he did once say that forum moderators should be by invite not by volunteering?

Clear?

Thanks, but I know who SS is/was.  I don't remember everything he ever posted on Canalworld, which is why I asked you to expand your post.

Clear?

8 hours ago, MJG said:

And don't you be gratuitously offensive, please.

Such an assumption might be reasonable but it would not be correct in this instance. It is surely fairer to invite applications from interested people rather than to have a grouse-moor election., 

Edited by Athy

9 minutes ago, Athy said:

And don't you be offensive, please.

Such an assumption might be reasonable but it would not be correct in this instance. It is surely fairer to invite applications from interested people rather than to have a grouse-moor election., 

There is an argument that the very last people one should have as moderators are those who would apply.

If you want the power, you shouldn't have it!

Like MTB, I believe that my earlier expression of interest is somewhere in Dan's in-tray and will receive a response one day.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1