Wind!?

JJPHG

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, Mike on the Wey said:

In London, wind is often cited as a reason not to move on the FB group. Granted, windshear off random buildings is more of an issue in a city. But a major issue is probably the fact that many London boats are smallish GRP craft with huge DIY sheds on the back, often powered by a small/cheap outboard which is actually underpowered.

I was trying to get a 70 footer into IceHouse Wharf on a windy day a few years ago, its designated mooring was just past another 70 footer and the width between the side and the Guardian building is about 135 feet. The frontage of the Guardian building has lots of lovely glass panels at fender height.......

I managed it, just, only just, after about an hour of pushing, engine, using concrete pillars, bouncing off a few boats etc. 

That basin has its own weather system, even on a calm day it has wind.

52 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

That's exactly what I was thinking.  It's all very well to learn this technique but there's never any handy bollards/rings around when you need them.   

Of course it's no problem with a centre cockpit boat just shove off with a cabin shaft and you're away.  Those storm force winds we had last week I never saw another moving boat all day, I reckon cos no-one could get away from the side. 

We boated every day last week through Northamptonshire , and the bow of our motor is higher than most canal cruisers tops. There was minimal disruption no trees down where we were. We used to have problems with wind when we ran a pair, but there are a variety of techniques to get the boats away. 

We were out in all that wind each day last week and just made sure we never got pinned in against the towpath against the wind. Didn't have any problems. I'm very used to springing off from my lumpy water experiences but how do you do it when the bottom is too near the top? Not easy to apply a bit of power.

14 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

We were out in all that wind each day last week and just made sure we never got pinned in against the towpath against the wind. Didn't have any problems. I'm very used to springing off from my lumpy water experiences but how do you do it when the bottom is too near the top? Not easy to apply a bit of power.

Switch the engine off and put the kettle on! :captain:

Howard

• Haha 1

On 27/09/2018 at 15:20, TheBiscuits said:

Here's another howto, but possibly more relevant for canals:

http://www.canalboat.co.uk/a-guide-to-how-to-use-mooring-lines-for-springing-1-4761685

One of the images on that link is captioned "Tie off with a T-stud hitch", although in the image in question the rope is not tied off. I know of various ways of tying off on a T-stud stud, but have never heard of a specific knot name. Is this term in more general use, and what specifically does it refer to?

5 minutes ago, David Mack said:

One of the images on that link is captioned "Tie off with a T-stud hitch", although in the image in question the rope is not tied off. I know of various ways of tying off on a T-stud stud, but have never heard of a specific knot name. Is this term in more general use, and what specifically does it refer to?

A T stud hitch:- take a round turn around the stem of the T stud, make a couple of figure of eights and then finish with a half hitch; something that most people do without knowing (or caring) that it might have been given  a name. It is not necessary to use a half hitch; an alternative is to remember "OXO" that is two round turns round the stem of the T stud, two figure of eights round the horns and then two more round turns around the stem. That would hold the Queen Masry and is quick to tie and also easy to remember.

Howard