Past the point of no return....

matty40s

Featured Posts

A dry dock that's dry!

Looks a great place to work, and the boat's looking great too.

I take it there are heaters in there.

I may have to price it up and book in ... I'll get Jane exercising to build up her stamina.

You've got to give the ladies an interest ;)

Rog

Bit of a shite day, had do the front deck on an £85k boat that had big rust patches on front and back deck, front was complete repaint, back patches  .

Old Friends had 2 coats of white undercoat,  tunnel bands complete,  roof done, catch board 2 colours done, tiller done.

20180924_180343.jpg

9 hours ago, matty40s said:

Hit a problem with the mouses ears, some tape residue was left on ( probably because the temperature went so low 2 nights ago). So scrape it off and Acrosyl the stuff away, Then paint again. 

Only real problem so far.

20180925_181512.jpg

From where does one obtain Acrosyl?

Its actually Acrysol, my phone would rather spell it as above. 

I find it on the top shelf above the paint store....:D

You can find it here...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Kent-Acrysol-All-purpose-Cleaning-Agents-for-Tar-Fat-Silicone-Solvent-1-L/25013781396

It all cleared up back end now complete , ready for the hatch to go back on.

Although I may have to add a coat of Danboline to the back deck now...bugger.

20180926_193321.jpg

20180926_193454.jpg

• Greenie 1

23 hours ago, matty40s said:

Hit a problem with the mouses ears, some tape residue was left on ( probably because the temperature went so low 2 nights ago). So scrape it off and Acrosyl the stuff away, Then paint again. 

Only real problem so far.

20180925_181512.jpg

That's why we now only use low tack tape on ours now.

Made the mistake of using ordinary masking tape once. It took longer to get rid of the tape residue then it did to paint the hull!

Never again.

37 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Miss Max ? Theres a blast from the past! Is she still aboard I wonder?

One would hope so. Otherwise some poor soul will have had one hell of a job scraping all that blacking off again :blink:

12 hours ago, matty40s said:

Its actually Acrysol, my phone would rather spell it as above. 

I find it on the top shelf above the paint store....:D

You can find it here...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Kent-Acrysol-All-purpose-Cleaning-Agents-for-Tar-Fat-Silicone-Solvent-1-L/25013781396

It all cleared up back end now complete , ready for the hatch to go back on.

Although I may have to add a coat of Danboline to the back deck now...bugger.

20180926_193321.jpg

20180926_193454.jpg

Thanks for that Matty ........ although I might just break into your paint store and have a look on the top shelf having seen the price, especially the postage charge!

56 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

That's why we now only use low tack tape on ours now.

Made the mistake of using ordinary masking tape once. It took longer to get rid of the tape residue then it did to paint the hull!

Never again

Having the opportunity to paint the boat was a sudden opportunity and all I had until day 3 was normal tape, low tack then on as delivery arrived. I've only left boatyard twice in a week, emergency supplies of white undercoat and some tesco oven ready meals.

I'm not sure I could cope with black paint that shiny though. 

Coincidentally I did a it of black painting on my boat on Tuesday too. 50% black paint and 50% International Matting Agent. It came out even shinier that yours! 

As DMR once said on here and I can confirm, International Matting Agent only seems to work with International paint. Weird.  

11 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'm not sure I could cope with black paint that shiny though.

My slide is black - it won't be next year as I've finally got fed up of burning my bare arms on it having had a proper summer!  I fancy it'll be largely off-white, and quite possibly matt - like the roof.  It might show he muck, but it's worth it.

Matty's slide looks really nice with those diamonds though, I have to agree. Clever the way he's stacked them from the outside in rather than one on top of the next - equally pleasing to the eye, but far less work I imagine. Beyond my skill-set I'm afraid.

All that's left on our last day in dock is 2nd coat of red on handrails and coachlines,  sand and paint gunnels ( already had a coat this summer), and stick another coat of comastic on the waterline.

Then early Sunday stick the doors back on, the windows in (already taped up)...and out the dock.

20180928_193626.jpg

Edited by matty40s

On 23/09/2018 at 23:58, matty40s said:

It starts from day 1 when the boat is built and launched. If the steel is good quality then you have a chance. If the millscale is removed before blacking/painting you have more of a chance.

If the boat is protected with a coating that doesn't get softened by diesel (normal bitumen coatings), then you have an even better chance of protecting your investment.

If a boat is launched where the bow thruster tube hasn't been blacked,  is full of welding slag ......then chances are your boat will be letting in water before 10 years are up.

Eh, Collingwood????

No Liverpool Boat! My BT tunnel has never been blacked and the boat is now 14 years old. The tunnel was fine the last time I looked at it. Still with the coating of primer. Why would it need blacking any more than the baseplate?

I've been hearing this sort of nonsense ever since I bought my boat. Some people told me the steel was so brittle I wouldn't be able to drill it, others said it would be need overplating soon. All utter claptrap.

It's funny how some people can predict the future. Perhaps we should give Collingwood a fair chance and actually see what they're like after 10 years before condemning them? 

Edited by blackrose