colour of grand union canal co

kevin123

Featured Posts

This has been discussed many times on this forum. There are general disputes about accuracy and indeed the date of painting having influence. You need to set a date to paint to, as they were at one point blue and blue. You also need to decide on wartime utility colours, or more vibrant coronation type livery. According to the definitive expert much previous information is false especialy relating to coachlines and this has left a rash of boats including three of ours being wrong.

on our mooring there are 5 gu boats. 2 in waterways blue yellow, one in waterways blue only, one in guccc blue- blue and one in blue and red. Take your pick ...

21 hours ago, kevin123 said:

does anybody know the colour red used for the grand union canal co also the blue border i have an historic and would like to paint near as to there colour 

If you are getting to the point of considering paint tones does this mean the restoration of SLOUGH is progressing well or are you just looking ahead ?

Back in the late 1980's I owned BADSEY and BARNES and I went for the wartime livery when I repainted BADSEY in 1989. I was inspired by the freshly restored SCULPTOR but I chose my own tones based upon what felt right. I have always thought the end result was pleasing. I can let you have the paint manufacturer / tones if you are interested but these are probably not historically correct:

812675551_BADSEYAugust1989.jpg.d746d87e937b36499163006f6a4a89f3.jpg

edit = my large Northwich motor is currently under renovation and when it gets around to paint it will not be historically correct either.

Edited by pete harrison

44 minutes ago, kevin123 said:

yes it not far from finished just on final fit in side as im going to live on it ,it isnt historically as in your boat as it has full canopy etc as when i bought it  but at least she will be back on the water , 

Great news that SLOUGH is progressing and I shall look forward to seeing it.

For clarity the photograph I added to post 7 is the large Woolwich BADSEY in 1989 shortly after being painted in my interpretation of the G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd. wartime livery. My current boat is not looking at its best just yet :captain: