Pump out toilet

Featured Posts

I have a pump out toilet that has always been a bit smelly. However recently, though it is flushing as normal, when it begins to 

refill the bowl it splashes back up the toilet and smells. Anyone come across this before and any ideas what to try to sort it?

There is no manufacturers name on the toilet I can see, so no idea about spare parts. Anyone recognise make from the sticker with the finger

on above the flush button on the pics?
Simon

IMG_4605.JPG

IMG_4606.JPG

IMG_4604.JPG

15 minutes ago, Simon Hawthorne said:

I have a pump out toilet that has always been a bit smelly. However recently, though it is flushing as normal, when it begins to 

refill the bowl it splashes back up the toilet and smells. Anyone come across this before and any ideas what to try to sort it?

There is no manufacturers name on the toilet I can see, so no idea about spare parts. Anyone recognise make from the sticker with the finger

on above the flush button on the pics?
Simon

IMG_4605.JPG

IMG_4606.JPG

IMG_4604.JPG

If it's a macerator type toilet it should never smell. Unfortunately my boat has one fitted but it is completely odour free. The smell may well be coming from porous pipe work but the advise of the first poster is certainly good advice.

Just now, Simon Hawthorne said:

I may have to replace the toilet and a cassette one is much cheaper.

You get what you pay for. If you want a proper system it will cost serious money.

(We replaced a bucket & chuckit with a Vetus macerator system seven years ago. Never regretted it.)

(PS it doesn't smell -- we were advised not to use any chemicals)

14 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

You get what you pay for. If you want a proper system it will cost serious money.

(We replaced a bucket & chuckit with a Vetus macerator system seven years ago. Never regretted it.)

(PS it doesn't smell -- we were advised not to use any chemicals)

Our macerator set up,is awesome. No smell ever anywhere on the boat and no need for any chemicals and yes nice ceramic sturdy bog. However it's not the cost of the damn silly things it's the fact that working out when to empty can be a nuisance as they are fifty six million more places to empty a cassette than a pump out bog. Just for instance take today, we have just moored up and our tank is just over half full but I will have to empty tomorrow as our timescale means there will be no where else to empty it when it's nearer the full mark. Even if we were nearly full on cassettes onboard we have access to our car so can wang cassettes in the boot and drive to an elsan point, same in the winter if you are frozen in properly like 2009 then you of course have to use a portapoti or cassette system as its moveable. Our macerator also uses quite a lot of water so it makes the bog lovely but again a waste of water. It's a no brainier as a live aboard to have a cassette says me who is so fed up with taking damn stupid pump out systems out of boats that I have left this one in this boat.

When I had problems with my previous macerator toilet it wasn't the toilet that was at fault but the pipework. I knew that I most likely had a partial blockage but chose to put the fateful day to change the pipes off... Of course the day came when I was forced into action. As it happened it wasn't such a terrible job after all - no pun intended.

Sorry to say your symptoms may well be the pipework narrowed with "furring" and the water backing up or coming back, or it could be as simple as the joker valve needs replacing - presuming it has one - but I am no expert sorry.

Unless you mean the water filling it is splashing back in which case ignore me.

Edited by Paringa
Added the last bit...

10 minutes ago, Paringa said:

When I had problems with my previous macerator toilet it wasn't the toilet that was at fault but the pipework. I knew that I most likely had a partial blockage but chose to put the fateful day to change the pipes off... Of course the day came when I was forced into action. As it happened it wasn't such a terrible job after all - no pun intended.

Sorry to say your symptoms may well be the pipework narrowed with "furring" and the water backing up or coming back, or it could be as simple as the joker valve needs replacing - presuming it has one - but I am no expert sorry.

Unless you mean the water filling it is splashing back in which case ignore me.

I too think it's probably furred up pipes as part of the problem. We use limescale remover stuff most of the time in our bog which seems to be keeping it clear as that's what previous owner had done from new.

You may find a small flap type breather valve behind by the macerator, if these get clogged all sorts of funny behaviour occurs, mine was just covered in lime scale. Squirted some kettle descaler jelly on it left for a while and rinsed, three treatments later working like new. If removable recommend a soak in some Coca-Cola quicker and easier.

We had a similar issue with ours when the tank vent got blocked. Ours has a charcoal filter on the vent pipe but water had got back up through the vent outlet into the pipe and filter and blocked it. This leads to a build up of gas in the tank which is eventually forced out through the bowl.