1" of water in my cabin bilge - what to do !

mboat01

Featured Posts

46 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Gave a quick tow to a bloke last week whose boat ( builders name witheld but had a bowthruster) had broken. The problem was the keel cooler had rusted through, into the engine bilge.

so presumably lots of rusty crap in engine and great expense. Boat was 6 years old.

I wonder why his antifreeze corrosion inhibitors didn’t work. 

• 2 weeks later...

Update for future benefit of any other LB victims owners: (i) There are drain holes in sides of floor beams to allow water to drain to stern... BUT !! - these, in my boat at least, were blocked by foam insulation spray. Very easy to clear out and, now that clear, should work well. (ii) Ballast was 50mm concrete paving slabs onto bitumen soaked roof underlay. To be fair to LB this seems to have worked very well. Despite standing water for perhaps a number of years bottom plate is in excellent condition with just tiniest amount of surface bubbling rust.

(Next job for me will be scrape, bilge paint, lay down new underlay, paint / soak with blacking, allow to thoroughly dry, put down dry engineering brick ballast, put down new 18mm BS1088 ply floor)

IMG_20181012_145535.jpg

21 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I find myself wondering why they are called that.

Is it because really tiny people can dance through them?

no Mike I think it is because you can see light through them [from "luminaire [fr] or luminare [latin], and of course boats were originally made from timber,  do you see where I am going here?

PS I would like to say OP is very brave!

Edited by LadyG

There is one point I would make.

To get the best headroom the floor battens have been screwed straight on the steel angle, there are no counter battens. This reduces the underfloor ventilation to almost nil. Not a good idea.

I would be inclined to fit short 14" sections of say 18mm thick timber on top of the battens leaving a 3" gap between each piece before laying the floor. You lose a little headroom but you can run plastic pipes through (no joints in the floor ) and the ventilation will keep the bilge sweet.

Sam.

6 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Limber holes.Wish  our boat had some.

6 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I find myself wondering why they are called that.

Is it because really tiny people can dance through them?

5 hours ago, LadyG said:

no Mike I think it is because you can see light through them [from "luminaire [fr] or luminare [latin], and of course boats were originally made from timber,  do you see where I am going here?

PS I would like to say OP is very brave!

Limber, Prounouced Limbare,is a country in Africa where the locals only wear shorts and T-shirts - 

In the voice of Robert Robinson (again).Is it:-

1.Mikes Tiny dancing person.

2.LadyG's Holy wooden boat.

3.Rusty's SE. African country.