Looking for a mooring

CompairHolman

Featured Posts

We bought a 60 ft nb shell and are looking for a place to fit it out, we already have another 70 ft nb we live on, we hope to move on to the new one and sell the other,  we've been looking for nearly a year on and off but haven't won any bids yet, and everywhere else seems full with waiting lists. A marina with pontoons wouldn't be any use to us.

All we want is a quiet mooring with some space on the bank to work, and set up a 3 x 3m temporary shed, nothing fancy. We are currently in the Northamptonshire area, so the grand union would be ideal. Naturally we have to be able to tow the shell to wherever the mooring is.

We noticed some moorings at Ivinghoe on a farm anyone know who runs them ?

Anyone got any clues because we are desperate now ?

8 minutes ago, CompairHolman said:

We bought a 60 ft nb shell and are looking for a place to fit it out, we already have another 70 ft nb we live on, we hope to move on to the new one and sell the other,  we've been looking for nearly a year on and off but haven't won any bids yet, and everywhere else seems full with waiting lists. A marina with pontoons wouldn't be any use to us.

All we want is a quiet mooring with some space on the bank to work, and set up a 3 x 3m temporary shed, nothing fancy. We are currently in the Northamptonshire area, so the grand union would be ideal. Naturally we have to be able to tow the shell to wherever the mooring is.

I thought hat there was a phone number displayed alongside. If not, why not pop along and ask.

Although it wouldn't rule out all possibilities, I think a requirement to erect a 3 metre x 3 metre shed will probably rule out most immediately.  That's really quite a big shed, and certainly for most CRT ("Waterside moorings") sites it would not be allowed as a new construction.  They have in the past gone in quite strong on people who have very much smaller "legacy" sheds, and in some cases insisted they are removed.

There are at least 3 different private moorings in the Ivinghoe area, but getting one seems to be down to pure luck of asking the right person at the right time, and they haven't when I have asked operated waiting lists at any of them.  60 feet might be an issue, the few spaces that become vacant are usually shorter, I think. AFAIK, only one of these has any kind of shed by any of the boats.  You don't mention needing power, but I don't think they have it, and I'm not sure what the policy would be on generator running.

6 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

I thought hat there was a phone number displayed alongside. If not, why not pop along and ask.

At least one, (possibly two), do have a contact phone number displayed.  One permanently says "vacancies", but when you ring them, there aren't actually.

17 minutes ago, CompairHolman said:

Why not have the shell lifted in a DIY yard, where you can work on it to your hearts content?

I guess 3 things will restrict your choice you are residential on your existing boat you require bank space & you want to erect a workshop if the moorings are occupied by other moorers this could be a problem as it's not a month"s job you really want a place to yourself or were the other boat/s are not visited used often could be along search

7 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

Breasting up to your existing boat is not an option?

Our other boat needs overplating, we are basically past the safe point with it,  though we have a buyer for it as soon as we can move into the new one. 

I've heard that CRT won't allow anyone to buy land and moor there permanently ?

That's our dream, but we've never got an answer from the CRT about it.

28 minutes ago, CompairHolman said:

We have been in a diy yard before and found it an all round miserable experience. We would prefer to have a quiet rural mooring where we can work at our leisure.  My health is not so good anymore and I need a stress free environment. 

So you want a quiet spot if there are other boats moored there with folk on them I doubt they would be happy with all manner of power tools running in the peace & quiet good luck with your search

32 minutes ago, CompairHolman said:

Our other boat needs overplating, we are basically past the safe point with it,  though we have a buyer for it as soon as we can move into the new one. 

I've heard that CRT won't allow anyone to buy land and moor there permanently ?

That's our dream, but we've never got an answer from the CRT about it.

#

Do you need to be in Northamptonshire ?

There is land for sale (complete with sheds / building) alongside the River Trent and as you will be 'buying half of the river' (to the centre line) C&RT cannot stop you mooring or working on your boat and no licence would be required. There were already a couple of moorings there.

I cannot remember exactly where it was Somewhere between Sawley & Beeston Cut if I remember - I'm sure if you are prepared to relocate then someone here will remember the location - and probably even pass on the contact details off the signage.

Putting a big shed up on a farm mooring can be a problem as councils often won't allow them - I seem to recall they see it as a change of use and it affects the farm rates.  I do know that when I moored on the Shroppie, everyone had to take their sheds down after the council flew a helicopter over them and filmed them, though as it was some years back I can't actually reemmber when the argument was.

There is a big canalside property on the upper Macc called Branches which used to be a boat builders that already has sheds and a long mooring,  I think the coal boat uses it.  Bit out of your way though...