Narrowboat colours

Dartagnan

Featured Posts

Just now, dave moore said:

If the internal panels were painted by Jim, this would have been Jim McCormack of Stourbridge, a boat signwriter, now retired, who followed his father Phil into the trade. Both lettered boats for the Allens yard at Oldbury in years gone by.

Correct - as I would expect …………………….?

17 hours ago, dave moore said:

Leigh’s are still around in the West Midlands, now operating under the Leigh Environmental banner. When they ran boats, much of the trade was coal from the Cannock coalfields to various factories and power stations in Birmingham and the Black Country. A friend of mine bought James Loader from them in the mid 60s when they discontinued canal haulage. He put it in to a green, maroon and yellow livery at the time, a very smart looking tug. The working livery was grey with white framing, I think.

There was a waste disposal company in the Portsmouth area for years named HT Hughes. They were bought out by Leigh Environmental. Connection? Not sure but I think they were bought by Our good friends, not,  Biffa Waste. 

I think Hughes are still around concentrating on demolition.

5 hours ago, Halsey said:

Wow - apologies to the purisits (other boaters do exist)- James Loader was used to inform Persia's colour scheme - nothing else!

Thank you for the clarification.

I am no purist but I do have a problem with the multitude of modern pleasure boats that are described as 'tugs' but would flounder if set to work commercially (too flimsy, too shallow draughted and woefully under powered for a tug), although there are a handful that I am sure would cope quite well :captain:

21 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

Thank you for the clarification.

I am no purist but I do have a problem with the multitude of modern pleasure boats that are described as 'tugs' but would flounder if set to work commercially (too flimsy, too shallow draughted and woefully under powered for a tug), although there are a handful that I am sure would cope quite well :captain:

Zulu has spent the last 10 years functioning as a "commercial" tug towing Alsager and supporting a modern day canal business so I guess that's alright …………………………...?

3 minutes ago, Halsey said:

Zulu has spent the last 10 years functioning as a "commercial" tug towing Alsager and supporting a modern day canal business so I guess that's alright …………………………...?

I can't understand it being classed as a tug if it is only towing a single un powered boat (butty)loaded or unloaded? long distance motor boats could do that with both tower & towed loaded I've done that loaded with Felspar for Wedgewoods in the potteries & to clean out the coaster ended up with approx an inch & a half of dry side below the hull side/ gunwhale joint on both boats A tug I would class as being able to tow a string of at least 3or more loaded day or butty boats but maybe things have changed It's been a while ?

33 minutes ago, X Alan W said:

I can't understand it being classed as a tug if it is only towing a single un powered boat (butty)loaded or unloaded? long distance motor boats could do that with both tower & towed loaded I've done that loaded with Felspar for Wedgewoods in the potteries & to clean out the coaster ended up with approx an inch & a half of dry side below the hull side/ gunwhale joint on both boats A tug I would class as being able to tow a string of at least 3or more loaded day or butty boats but maybe things have changed It's been a while ?

I'm not sure there's enough depth left to load the boats like that, never mind go anywhere with them!

• Happy 1

3 hours ago, X Alan W said:

Thank you Alan, we are clearly on the same wave length :captain:

3 hours ago, Halsey said:

No, ZULU has spent the last 10 years operating as a house boat towing the L.M.S.R. ALSAGER - both of which support a modern day canal business. At best ZULU could be compared to a 'historic' motor in that it has similar engine and tows a butty, but that is certainly not a comparison I am prepared to make as it is just a modern pleasure boat the same as all of the other modern pleasure boats.

2 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

I'm not sure there's enough depth left to load the boats like that, never mind go anywhere with them!

Which means that there are no tugs built for work anymore and almost every one built in the past 50 years or so and described as a tug is just a modern pleasure boat - but I am prepared to conceded that some of these have a pleasant look to them :captain:

9 hours ago, Halsey said:

Wow - apologies to the purisits (other boaters do exist)- James Loader was used to inform Persia's colour scheme - nothing else!

Hi Halsey, thank you for the info re Persia and ABNB.  With the exception of the black framing the grey colour on Persia is very similar to that on mine.  Looking at the photograph of James Loader I can now see where the gentleman I spoke with saw the similarity with those of Leonard Leigh.

3 hours ago, pete harrison said:

No, ZULU has spent the last 10 years operating as a house boat towing the L.M.S.R. ALSAGER - both of which support a modern day canal business. At best ZULU could be compared to a 'historic' motor in that it has similar engine and tows a butty, but that is certainly not a comparison I am prepared to make as it is just a modern pleasure boat the same as all of the other modern pleasure boats.

Which means that there are no tugs built for work anymore and almost every one built in the past 50 years or so and described as a tug is just a modern pleasure boat - but I am prepared to conceded that some of these have a pleasant look to them :captain:

Edited by Halsey