Alternator info

Featured Posts

13 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

A mechanic I worked with had a bad day sweating blood trying to get the pedal box out of a metro. One bolt was apparently impossible to get at. At the time I lived with a lady who's brother worked in design for Austin Rover, so over beer I asked him why they couldn't see their way clear to fitting one captive nut. What's one captive nut to the price of a car? His reply, "Quite a lot if you're making quarter of a million a year". Only one possible response, "Oh yea".

I had a similar problem swapping a brake servo on an S-type Jag. A couple of weeks later I was chatting to a chap who explained that he worked in the Jaguar design department, modelling all of the components in 3D to see how they’d fit together, be pressed or moulded etc. I took the opportunity, following my recent experience, to ask him what consideration they made for future maintenance of the vehicle. From the look he gave me you’d have thought I’d asked him the meaning of life...

5 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I had a similar problem swapping a brake servo on an S-type Jag. A couple of weeks later I was chatting to a chap who explained that he worked in the Jaguar design department, modelling all of the components in 3D to see how they’d fit together, be pressed or moulded etc. I took the opportunity, following my recent experience, to ask him what consideration they made for future maintenance of the vehicle. From the look he gave me you’d have thought I’d asked him the meaning of life...

Cars aren't designed to be serviced. They're not even really designed to be driven. They're designed to be manufactured.

27 minutes ago, WotEver said:

The price of a car (or anything else) is crucial and so getting a good price for the first purchaser is the big factor. Expecting the first owner to pay a bit more so as to reduce the repair costs for a subsequent owner is not acceptable.

On a related note:

I understand that one popular car was available in a smaller engine, minimum spec, two door version even though the manufacturer expected to sell none of them and likely made none. Its the low price that sells that brand and model of car and so gets the customer into the showroom, but once captured they apparently always think, "we're spending this much so lets spend just a bit more and get a higher spec. version".

I wonder if the boating world is similar....the builder advertising the low price gets the customer, but they then mutually decide to up the spec a bit????

............Dave

11 hours ago, dmr said:

I wonder if the boating world is similar....the builder advertising the low price gets the customer, but they then mutually decide to up the spec a bit????

....and the "Continuous Cruiser" pack with composting loo is an extra £1000.   Engine, Sir?  Hmm, I suppose we could at a price, but there's not a lot of demand in the London area.

• Happy 1

2 hours ago, jonathanA said:

Where are you Arthur ? it sounds like a two minute job for some one with a crimp tool. 

I'm on the Macc, but it's OK, I've got a crimp tool and with the advice above I don't have a problem with it. I've not done it yet as I've had to repair the air ducting as well.