Canal trip choice

Mariahutchings

Featured Posts

42 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

Atherstone and Napton winding holes as intermediate points, you will get a trip with a total of just 8 locks but so many hours that you would need to cruise at night to manage it.

I believe that most / all of the hire companies do not allow cruising after dark, which can be 6pm in October.

• Horror 1

On ‎19‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 18:54, arbutus said:

The Staffordshire & Worcestershire canal is very pretty and most of it is rural. 

It’s my pick if the system and I had a boat moored there for a few years.

It’s one of the earlier contour canals and follows a river valley down to Stourport So the locks come singularly at intervals as the valley drops down to the river Severn rather than in flights as on some later canals. You can take a detour up the Shropshire Union canal which is lock free for many miles from it’s junction with the S & W at Wolverhampton / Autherley Junction. The S  & W canal is generally sheltered from the winds that can blow cold on more exposed canals in autumn.

SECONDED!!!!

My favorite after 50+ years of boating

31 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I believe that most / all of the hire companies do not allow cruising after dark, which can be 6pm in October.

True. I wasn't suggesting doing so, just making a point (badly) about that trip option being more than enough in terms of permissible cruising hours.

On 19/09/2018 at 18:36, Rob-M said:

From Ashby boats you could head down to Braunston and back, this would give you 8 locks and a bit more cruising. Once at Braunston you could carry on for another day depending on how long it takes you to get there or turn and head back. You would then get to stop at the Greyhound which is an unspoilt canal pub with a very nice food menu.

On the same theme, you could also look at hiring from any of the hire bases around Napton, then go up the N Oxford, Cov, Ashby and return.  Just time the turn point when you have used half the time.

Although I agree with those extolling the virtues of the Staffs & Worcs I think with the circumstances of the OP the obvious choice is to explore between Napton and Atherstone including the Ashby and possibly Coventry basin for variety. I think there is enough for a weeks hire and plenty of bases to choose from. I would certainly advocate including some locks. The Ashby is lovely to some but to others it's boring. I wouldn't recommend it to a family with kids.

JP