Part No for Vetus fuel filter replacement cartridge

Boating biker

Featured Posts

Hoping someone can help with this,

it is Vetus filter fitted between tank and the engine fuel filter (Fram 4178A) on a Isuzu 38 in a 2004 Liverpool boat.

I’m assuming it is a replacement cartridge and not a throw away canister type filter !?!

It has been suggested that Baldwin Filters could be a possible replacement but no number given !

Thanks in anticipation 

bb

2 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Is this what you're looking for? https://www.inlinefilters.co.uk/Filters-Fuel/SpinOn/3-4.16UN/FFR-P4178  If you look through the equivalents you'll find Fram P4178A.  However this is a spin-on filter, not usually used between tank and engine fuel filter.

They're showing a Baldwin spin on filter BF 954 as the FRAM 4178A  equivalent.

11 minutes ago, Boating biker said:

Sorry guys the P4178A is on the engine and is a spin on.

This is a Vetus housing fastened on the engine bay between the fuel tank and the P4178A 

it is fitted with a drain.

thanks for your replies

Without a number or even a picture its difficult.  The Baldwin  BF 825 is a popular filter for that application if its a two part unit with that filter sandwiched between two castings with a drain plug underneath. Check out the picture of one on the In-Line filters website.

4 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Well this is the one which i use between tank and (Vetus) engine. https://www.inlinefilters.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=918_1009_1010&products_id=563458 

Perhaps that's what you want.  It's the cheapest thing in the engine bay!

Thats the kiddy a very popu;lar one and an equivalent should be available from any motor factors known as a 296

Hello again, update ! The Vetus fuel filter positioned on the engine bay turned out to be a spin on/off canister with metal bolt drain, part No KC44/1

The Fram cross reference was Fram P4183. This has a plastic drain and an additional rubber collar !?! I will swop drain for metal and will need to remove the rubber collar. 

Thanks again to all those who took the time to help ?

11 hours ago, Boating biker said:

Hello again, update ! The Vetus fuel filter positioned on the engine bay turned out to be a spin on/off canister with metal bolt drain, part No KC44/1

The Fram cross reference was Fram P4183. This has a plastic drain and an additional rubber collar !?! I will swop drain for metal and will need to remove the rubber collar. 

Thanks again to all those who took the time to help ?

Sounds like the one on our boat (kc44/1) which takes a vetus ws180 filter, for which you will pay. I get mine (and other filters) from here (usually Baldwin), all legal drain taps and great guy to deal with: 
http://www.filtermania.co.uk/index.php/how-to-order/

This is the one I use from the same company's ebay site:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VETUS-FUEL-FILTER-WS180FE-EQUIVELENT-WITH-METAL-DRAIN/191904983788

Even with post that is around half the price of the OEM.

Edited by Guest

14 hours ago, catweasel said:

Sounds like the one on our boat (kc44/1) which takes a vetus ws180 filter, for which you will pay. I get mine (and other filters) from here (usually Baldwin), all legal drain taps and great guy to deal with: 
http://www.filtermania.co.uk/index.php/how-to-order/

This is the one I use from the same company's ebay site:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VETUS-FUEL-FILTER-WS180FE-EQUIVELENT-WITH-METAL-DRAIN/191904983788

Even with post that is around half the price of the OEM.

Hi Catweasel and thanks for your reply, only just found it, that was the info I was seeking but today I have taken a different route after I found the 8mm metal drain bolt from the Vetus KC44/1 will not secure in the Fram (it’s a plastic thread in the base?) bought @ £6.30 ! I have ordered an Aquafax through a chandler @ £28.50 Plus replacement filters & £4.00 and will toss the Vetus ! 

9 hours ago, Boating biker said:

Hi Catweasel and thanks for your reply, only just found it, that was the info I was seeking but today I have taken a different route after I found the 8mm metal drain bolt from the Vetus KC44/1 will not secure in the Fram (it’s a plastic thread in the base?) bought @ £6.30 ! I have ordered an Aquafax through a chandler @ £28.50 Plus replacement filters & £4.00 and will toss the Vetus ! 

Glad you got sorted. I know a few who have done similar as it was cheaper. I considered it myself until I found a source of filters. at a better price.  
A bit like my buying a new laser printer as it was cheaper than buying a toner cartridge for the existing one!

Edited by Guest

Is it the vetus water separator/sediment trap? A lot of Liverpool boat owners and others got rid of them completely because replacement elements are so expensive. I replaced mine with a cav/delphi model. Cost about 35 quid initially but then the elements are less than a fiver a pop. I think the elements are CAV 296. If anyone wants to do it you need the model with the metal bowl (not glass) and I think i had to replace the plastic drain screw with a metal one. 

Plenty on ebay I think

Edited by blackrose

2 hours ago, blackrose said:

Is it the vetus water separator/sediment trap? A lot of Liverpool boat owners and others got rid of them completely because replacement elements are so expensive. I replaced mine with a cav/delphi model. Cost about 35 quid initially but then the elements are less than a fiver a pop. I think the elements are CAV 296. If anyone wants to do it you need the model with the metal bowl (not glass) and I think i had to replace the plastic drain screw with a metal one. 

Plenty on ebay I think

39 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

Many of the CAV ones take a 5/16" UNC drain bolt - not metric. They used to be supplied with a plastic wing bolt and rubber washer.

Thanks for your replies, the info will be helpful to others. Yes that’s the one that was on my Liverpool boat ! I have now swopped from the Vetus to an aquafax and going to save a fortune over time ?

Edited by Boating biker
Added more info