Cruiser Stern cover

curlass24

Featured Posts

Hello,

We get a lot of water in our bilge and along with replacing the decking, I'd like to get a cover to help protect from rain.

Would like to try and make something suitable myself. Any recommendations for best solutions / materiel etc to use?

Thanks

My cruiser stern is about eight foot long and I had the same problem.  I did get someone to put a self draining system in (it was just wood boards right across before) and that would have been fine if the yard, in accordance with age-old boat-building practice, hadn't managed to install one of the drainage channels at an angle that ran water back into the boat instead of over the side.

Over winter, I've just been putting a couple of 8 x 4 sheets of ply on the guardrail and draping a whacking great plastic tarp over the lot.  I can't afford a custom made cover, though that would obviously be the best solution.

15 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

I seem to be in the minority, but my Colecraft's cruiser stern has drainage channels that actually work (provided the holes are kept clear, that is). Nevertheless, I do have a tonneau cover, but it only goes on over winter.   

We don't usually agree, but I have to here. I don't know what all the fuss is. Our colecraft also has well designed drainage holes and water draining into the engine bay only happens if I don't keep the holes clear.......a once a quarter job. The Pam cover helps but Colecraft have it sussed.

20 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

I seem to be in the minority, but my Colecraft's cruiser stern has drainage channels that actually work (provided the holes are kept clear, that is). Nevertheless, I do have a tonneau cover, but it only goes on over winter.   

How they managed to run mine backwards I have no idea, apart from sheer incompetence. If you look at the back of the boat you can see one drainage hole is about three inches above the other one.  They just welded the deck on wrong.  When I complained they just shrugged and suggested I took all the ballast out of the front of the boat and put a load more in the back to change the whole boat angle. It would have looked like a speedboat to get the drainage working.  Not a yard I ever went back to.

Oh, and they also fitted a new stern tube with a seal that failed after a year and nearly sank the boat. I won't name the yard as I believe it's now under new management, thank god.

2 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

We don't usually agree, but I have to here. I don't know what all the fuss is. Our colecraft also has well designed drainage holes and water draining into the engine bay only happens if I don't keep the holes clear.......a once a quarter job. The Pam cover helps but Colecraft have it sussed.

I bet we agree about our nice clean engine 'oles too!

2 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Cheaper to buy Pam an umbrella for Christmas. :closedeyes:

55 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

I bet we agree about our nice clean engine 'oles too!

Well I wouldnt exactly go that far! It was due a repaint this summer but I never quite got round to it.?

34 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Cheaper to buy Pam an umbrella for Christmas. :closedeyes:

You must be psychic. I didnt know you knew Mrs Bob.